U.S. Ice Dance 2022-23 news & updates

sk9tingfan

So happy they're at MIDA! Charlie was so complimentary of their performance last year that I think that he and Tanith will give them the attention that they deserve. It must have given them a shock when Diana Davis and her husband showed up, possibly with Tuberidze in tow. I would think that G&P had a total loss of trust with their coaches.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
So happy they're at MIDA! Charlie was so complimentary of their performance last year that I think that he and Tanith will give them the attention that they deserve. It must have given them a shock when Diana Davis and her husband showed up, possibly with Tuberidze in tow. I would think that G&P had a total loss of trust with their coaches.
It could also be that this had nothing to do with the endless flurry of dl induced Eteri drama and that G/P were thinking that, like many teams, a coaching switch may take them to the next level. Or they saw something they really liked in Charlie, Tanith, and Greg.

Or maybe Eteri truly is that powerful and it's all her fault idk.

VGThuy

I really don’t think Eteri had anything to do with their decision, or it didn’t have much impact at least.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I’m unsure what I think of G/P’s move. The MIDA team is very inexperienced at this level, and as we saw with C/P under Scott Moir’s direction, it can take time for brilliant skaters to become brilliant coaches/strategists/lobbyists.

Debbie S

I wonder why, if they took the effort to update the training town, they haven't updated their coaches yet.
That's probably a case of USFS not giving full direction to whichever employee updates the site or the employee forgot that part. It wouldn't be the first time a USFS web update, or lack thereof, went awry.

Dobre

I’m unsure what I think of G/P’s move. The MIDA team is very inexperienced at this level, and as we saw with C/P under Scott Moir’s direction, it can take time for brilliant skaters to become brilliant coaches/strategists/lobbyists.
Agreed. It's very ironic to me that after all the doubts WISA faced in moving its teams up to seniors & after breaking through with a couple GP medals and a 4CC title, fans are immediately huge supporters of teams switching to MIDA, which has some very familiar names in the sport but is itself only just beginning to break onto the senior coaching scene.

I do think there's good promise there, and we need diversity on the U.S. ice dance coaching scene. That is a good thing. But definitely managing expectations.

Rhumba d’Amour

I believe Dmitri Ilin is also still part of the new MIDA team. G/P worked with him at Wheaton. This is as likely a reason to switch as anything else.

I agree that Tanith and Charlie have little or no coaching/choreo experience.

Dobre

I believe Dmitri Ilin is also still part of the new MIDA team. G/P worked with him at Wheaton. This is as likely a reason to switch as anything else.
Can anyone confirm this? Last I was told, he was in Rockville, Maryland. (I'd been wondering for a while if they might have gone there because they've worked with him + it's not that far from D.C. & Caroline's previously announced school plans). Anyway, trying to keep track of him because he's yet another coach that could/can add some diversity to the U.S. ice dancing scene.

Rukia

I thought Charlie has done choreography for at least 2 years, maybe more?
Yes. Charlie has been doing like coaching consulting work too for some years.

And someone mentioned Cpom and Scott Moir, but I think there were a number of issues going on there (Anthony injury, really bizarre material, and Christina's lack of citizenship didn't seem to do them any politicking favors either). So I'm not sure that'd be comparable.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
And someone mentioned Cpom and Scott Moir, but I think there were a number of issues going on there (Anthony injury, really bizarre material, and Christina's lack of citizenship didn't seem to do them any politicking favors either). So I'm not sure that'd be comparable.
Well, yes, but, generally speaking, IAM-London also had Sales/Wamsteeker last season and the material for both their RD and FD was underwhelming (that's being generous), so CarPon weren't the only team of theirs that struggled. We'll see what the additions of Diaz and Hubbell bring to that coaching team.

Debbie S

I agree that Tanith and Charlie have little or no coaching/choreo experience.
In addition to what has been posted above about Charlie's experience, Tanith has done choreo for both singles skaters and ice dancers, plus also coached in Marina Z's group for a while in the 2012-2014 range. And of course Greg has been coaching since he retired in 2011 and spent 4 years as part of Igor's group, plus experience with WISA and then with Ilin and his own teams the past couple of years.

Rukia

Well, yes, but, generally speaking, IAM-London also had Sales/Wamsteeker last season and the material for both their RD and FD was underwhelming (that's being generous), so CarPon weren't the only team of theirs that struggled. We'll see what the additions of Diaz and Hubbell bring to that coaching team.
Maybe Montreal will stop shoving their trash programs onto IAM light. Anyway, I guess we'll see if things improve this season (which for my fandom stability I hope cpom have better programs).

RoseRed

I don't think Dmitri Ilin is a part of the MIDA coaching team. In addition to him being based in Rockville, he's not one of the coaches listed on the MIDA website. Those are Charlie, Tanith and Greg Zuerlein. Zuerlein would have the most coaching experience of them, as far as I know.

AYS

🌻
Bratti/Somerville have Ilin listed as one of their current coaches (at least as of last season's bio), along with Charlie, Tanith, and Greg Z, with Kiliakov and Novak listed as former coaches, so maybe there's some cooperative relationship going on there (involving occasional travel by coach and/or skaters), despite Ilin not being based in Canton.

Dobre

Bratti/Somerville have Ilin listed as one of their current coaches (at least as of last season's bio), along with Charlie, Tanith, and Greg Z, with Kiliakov and Novak listed as former coaches, so maybe there's some cooperative relationship going on there (involving occasional travel by coach and/or skaters), despite Ilin not being based in Canton.
Yes, he was working with them last year. We had this conversation after Nationals, I think. But I was told that it was a temporary situation and would not be the case this season. Ling & Wein were expected to stay with Ilin.

Reactions: AYS

litenkyckling

I think Diaz and Hubbell are making the difference already - the RD for H/L by Adrian is (imo) the best one so far. Although I believe that S/W came to IAM with programmes already so not the best measure.

So far I haven’t enjoyed the material from MIDA this season so I’m intrigued to see what the outcome for Gr/P will be.

I don’t know what prompted their move, but I still find the timing of it very strange since she accepted a place at a nearby university and they didn’t move immediately after the end of the season. However, I’ve always wondered if the rise of D/S factored into C/Ps choice to leave Igor and so it is possible that D/S have caused 2 US teams to change training plans.

litenkyckling

Maybe Montreal will stop shoving their trash programs onto IAM light. Anyway, I guess we'll see if things improve this season (which for my fandom stability I hope cpom have better programs).
My hope is that they can’t be much worse than last year? I just want them to have programmes that will highlight them well. They get written off by people so quickly but I do think they have a lot of potential and a lot to offer. It feels like barely anyone backs them which is a such a shame!

Rukia

My hope is that they can’t be much worse than last year? I just want them to have programmes that will highlight them well. They get written off by people so quickly but I do think they have a lot of potential and a lot to offer. It feels like barely anyone backs them which is a such a shame!
I mean I annoyingly cheer for them on here enough for like 5 people, so I'm doing my part. Hahaha.

shan

I think Diaz and Hubbell are making the difference already - the RD for H/L by Adrian is (imo) the best one so far. Although I believe that S/W came to IAM with programmes already so not the best measure.

So far I haven’t enjoyed the material from MIDA this season so I’m intrigued to see what the outcome for Gr/P will be.

I don’t know what prompted their move, but I still find the timing of it very strange since she accepted a place at a nearby university and they didn’t move immediately after the end of the season. However, I’ve always wondered if the rise of D/S factored into C/Ps choice to leave Igor and so it is possible that D/S have caused 2 US teams to change training plans.
Who are H/L?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Mark Pillay choreographed for Sales/Wamsteeker and I thought their FD was very good. As for their RD it was just really bad luck for them that Chock/Bates late switch to Billie Eilish was always going to end with them paling in comparison. I like this team but

I also think CarPoms had a really good RD (which I think Scott had a hand in). The FD was straight out of Montreal and pretty generic/typical for a first year Montreal team. Wasn't a big fan of it but I wonder, with hindsight, how much his injury played a factor in them missing levels and lacking in performance. I felt Christina really showed improvements in personality and performance whereas he was flat and wooden (which again makes me wonder the extent of the injury as in the past I would have thought the opposite when it comes to this team).

Rukia

I don’t hate CarPoms but according to the Almighty Algorithm, as a H/B and G/P fan I have to root against them. :p
Fight the algorithm and cheer for everyone!

Pros: You beat the system, you get to cheer for lots of very talented skaters, and you win no matter who wins

Cons: You are basically on the edge of your seat for an entire competition

litenkyckling

Mark Pillay choreographed for Sales/Wamsteeker and I thought their FD was very good. As for their RD it was just really bad luck for them that Chock/Bates late switch to Billie Eilish was always going to end with them paling in comparison. I like this team but

I also think CarPoms had a really good RD (which I think Scott had a hand in). The FD was straight out of Montreal and pretty generic/typical for a first year Montreal team. Wasn't a big fan of it but I wonder, with hindsight, how much his injury played a factor in them missing levels and lacking in performance. I felt Christina really showed improvements in personality and performance whereas he was flat and wooden (which again makes me wonder the extent of the injury as in the past I would have thought the opposite when it comes to this team).
I went back and watched 2021/22 programmes (in particular nationals) when the rumour surfaced that he was injured and he was clearly being so careful with his (right? I forget) foot. I think it explains why the lifts weren't hitting levels too as he just couldn't get around fast enough in rotational lifts. I agree that Christina looked so confident - I think thats why IAM in any capacity was a good move for them since their previous coach is notoriously not good for women. I'm very interested to see them this season and whether they've improved (I have a feeling they have).

Jammers

Big difference though is that C/P have been on the decline for a few years now and G/P are moving up and improving year by year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information