Alysa Liu retired in 2022 and is coming back in 2024

olympic

The tone of this thread reminds me of when Rosalyn Sumners skipped the 1984 World Championships and Tiffany Chin was injured.

Future USFSA President, Claire Ferguson, forgot to list any alternates and as a result, only Elaine Zayak was able to attend.
Fortunately, she medaled and didn't leave the administration looking completely foolish.

But I do feel sorry for Katherine Adams, who would potentially have been given that coveted second spot.

Nathan may have passed over the World Championships, but we saw some terrific skates from Vincent Zhou and Camden Pulkinen instead!

Knowing some of the athletes personally, training at the elite level takes such a hit on their finances and free time, to have achieved their goals and moving on would still be a difficult decision, knowing how much they've given to the sport and to some degree, how it has defined them.
In her TSL interview, Roz said that she really did not like competing. Her feelings must have been very strong for her to skip Worlds.

The talented Jill Frost could have also attended '84 Worlds, but was similarly robbed of that opportunity

US men have a habit (mostly) of outperforming expectations.

Xela M

Belated reaction, but...

What?!? She's 16, isn't she?! And now is the perfect time to break into the medals with no Russia or China in the mix. Why wouldn't she want to try for an Olympic medal/win?!

Xela M

As stated above, the goal was making the team not winning. Not everyone has a goal to win, which is refreshing.
Yes, but when winning is so close within her grasp, why not take advantage of it? The timing is a bit off

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Yes, but when winning is so close within her grasp, why not take advantage of it? The timing is a bit off
She medaled at Worlds, the next Olys are four years away and the Russians will be back by then anyway.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I doubt they will be back
But it's an unknown.

I can see deciding to stay in for one more year because Russia has been banned. But four years is a big commitment and this decision has opportunity costs. i.e., she won't be able to do certain other things if she's committed to skating.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T WANT TO COMPETE ANYMORE. Pardon my "shouting," but how many more times do some of you have to be told she HERSELF decided not to keep going???? Sorry if this doesn't compute with your idea of what she should or shouldn't do, but it's her decision. Not every skater in the world has a goal of an Olympic gold medal. She had specific goals - she achieved them, she wants to move on. If you don't agree with it, that's on you.

Allskate

I can see deciding to stay in for one more year because Russia has been banned. But four years is a big commitment and this decision has opportunity costs. i.e., she won't be able to do certain other things if she's committed to skating.
I get the impression that she made the decision before Russia was banned. She had her Olympic experience and it was a wonderful one, and that was enough. I agree about the opportunity costs. She is undoubtedly aware of many of the sacrifices that Vincent and Karen and others made to get to their second Olympics and, with 20/20 hindsight, she may not think that their sacrifices were worth it. With or without the Russians, she may not see herself as a Nathan Chen. Or, she may not believe the sacrifices are worth it to become a Nathan Chen.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T WANT TO COMPETE ANYMORE. Pardon my "shouting," but how many more times do some of you have to be told she HERSELF decided not to keep going???? Sorry if this doesn't compute with your idea of what she should or shouldn't do, but it's her decision. Not every skater in the world has a goal of an Olympic gold medal. She had specific goals - she achieved them, she wants to move on. If you don't agree with it, that's on you.
EXACTLY. Move-on.org

Trillian

To be honest, I get the vibe Alysa just doesn’t like the experience of being a competitive skater enough to do it any more. 🤷‍♀️ I don’t think it really matters what they could be capable of if they don’t want to.

I agree. I really don’t think skating fans always stop to remember the extent to which being an elite skater completely takes over a person’s life. It’s not even just that skating can conflict with other educational or professional goals. Maybe she wants to eat junk food without worrying about gaining a few pounds. Maybe she wants to stay up late hanging out with her friends or going to concerts. Maybe instead of dividing all her hours in college between being in class and being on the ice, she’d also like to join some clubs or organize protests or write for the campus paper. Maybe she has no idea but she wants to try everything.

It’s really normal for kids who were child prodigies to decide that they no longer want to do this one thing to the exclusion of everything else. Elite figure skating is all-consuming, and many people find more satisfaction in doing a variety of things rather than doing one thing all the time.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think part of the reaction some people are having to this announcement is that, when Alysa was blowing up the Jr circuit and wining Nationals, there was a narrative that she was the US's best hope for breaking up the Russian juggernaut. After all, she had the 3X and a quad or two just like the Russian girls. Under that narrative, Russian skaters being banned is a dream come true because now Alysa can really win it all!

Except she never gave any indication that this was her narrative or her dream.

Sarah

Thrilled for Alysa. How often can a skater accomplish all they set out to accomplish and retire happy? It’s very rare.

And how often do fans question in so many threads why skater A is still skating. Or why skater B won’t retire and go to college or move on? Yes, Alysa is very talented, but she’s doing exactly what many suggest so many skaters do. Move on. Skating isn’t her entire life or her future and she wants to think about her next steps. Most teenagers are thinking about the future (college or jobs or growing up and moving out). It’s healthy. How is it a bad thing that Alysa is doing the same thing?

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Alysa made a good choice, olympian and a world medalist at an age where others are still getting their driver’s license, she still has a full life ahead. Plus there’s also the fact that the moment a young woman shows any sort of success, USFS tends to salivate at the mouth and put all expectations and pressure on her. Now imagine the pressure Liu would have had as the 2x national champ who medalled at her worlds debut…great choice to call it a career when she did. Wish nothing but the best for her 😁

Carolla5501

That is pretty funny.

You are missing the point. A minor could be flying to ..gasp! A competition, to visit friend across the country....what ever....she still needs parental consent before getting on the plane. She even needs parental consent to tour. I would assume ISU has the paperwork for all the skaters on the tour.

let's say the minor is injured and needs medical attention that is not life threatening.
The child needs to have someone who is designated to make decisions.
So, Alysa is abroad. She still needs someone who is legally responsible. Someone who authorized to make those decisions.

Alysa could travel all over...and she still needs someone who is authorized to make decisions.
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Arti...cbp.gov/s/article/Article-3643?language=en_US

You’re right, it’s pretty funny that you believe all this

Just as an example that doesn’t support your “facts”. I’ve taken teenage girls younger than her all over the country and the world. Not One airline has ever asked permission for the child to travel. (And none of them are related to me) GASP.

And if a minor shows up in the hospital United States and you don’t treat them in an emergency because you’re waiting on the an adult It’s going to be expensive. That’s called a violation of a law. GASP

😂😂😂

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Belated reaction, but...

What?!? She's 16, isn't she?! And now is the perfect time to break into the medals with no Russia or China in the mix. Why wouldn't she want to try for an Olympic medal/win?!

Because that’s what you want for her not what she wants to do. And luckily for her you don’t get a vote

Her timing is not near as far off base as your emphasis on winning is everything

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
How many skaters actually have the capability to retire when they are at what they feel is their peak? Osmond in 2018, some of the Olympic champions of the past, but not many when you really think about it. And then there is fandom always complaining asking why this or that skater is still going at it as their results decline year after year. And we also see fandom often commenting on how skaters can't seem to get past the sport even once they retire, and the skaters themselves talk about how skating is the only thing they know and they don't know what to do once they retire. The older you get, the more difficult it is to go a different direction for most people, extending way past sport.

I don't think Alysa's decision is surprising, and I have no doubts that she is excited to explore the next part of her life, whatever she may decide to do.

icebergAshley

More power to her. Alysa is refreshingly honest. USFS does not own her. And after a considerable amount of accomplishments, she certainly does not own USFS anything and should not feel like she is obligated is to stick it out for another quad. I can't imagine how a family her size has been funding it, especially living in California. It must be such a relief to medal at Worlds, to end her career on a high note at 16 with her whole life still ahead of her. I feel sad for athletes in their late 20's holding out their breath for quad after quad, missing out on college and careers. Of course, there are those who are privileged to enjoy parent funded skating into their 30's. If USFS wants to retain highly talented athletes like Alysa past their college years, they need to have a plan to make it worth their while. I would venture to guess that Team USA funding envelopes are a sad fraction of what this sport actually costs at Alysa's level. Do we know how Russia funds (or used to fund...) their athletes - I'd be curious.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

How many skaters actually have the capability to retire when they are at what they feel is their peak? Osmond in 2018, some of the Olympic champions of the past, but not many when you really think about it. And then there is fandom always complaining asking why this or that skater is still going at it as their results decline year after year. And we also see fandom often commenting on how skaters can't seem to get past the sport even once they retire, and the skaters themselves talk about how skating is the only thing they know and they don't know what to do once they retire. The older you get, the more difficult it is to go a different direction for most people, extending way past sport.

I don't think Alysa's decision is surprising, and I have no doubts that she is excited to explore the next part of her life, whatever she may decide to do.
I am reminded of Sarah Hughes the year after her Olympic triumph. She had barely competed at all during the 2002/03 season, and at US Nationals and the World Championships, it was like watching a watered down version of herself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information