CAS rules Valieva can compete - reactions/fallout, plus some details from the hearing

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
What does Petaluma have to do with the conflict in Ukraine (and, thus, a connection to the ISU deciding to delay naming a new Jr Wds host)?
Funny question. Petaluma has NOTHING to do with the Conflict (or War) in Ukraine, and environs.

"The 2022 World Junior Figure Skating Championships were scheduled to be held from March 7–13, 2022 in Sofia, Bulgaria, before being postponed to an unknown future date. Figure skaters will compete for the title of junior world champion in men's singles, ladies' singles, pairs, and ice dance"

I don't think anyone is going to be buying a ticket to Bulgaria right now.

About our Snoopy Rink - "
"Built in 1969 by Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz, Snoopy's Home Ice has been called the world's most beautiful ice arena. With the charm and ambiance of a Swiss Alpine village, and towering Redwoods in front of the building, Snoopy's Home Ice offers a unique experience not found at any other ice arena.
Snoopy's Home Ice is the coolest place in town for sports and fun. Whether you enjoy Figure Skating or Ice Hockey or just hanging out, there is something for everyone. Bring the family and spend the whole day - the Charles M. Schulz Museum is also right across the street. Snoopy's Home Ice has skating sessions daily and our professional coaching staff is always on hand if you want to learn how to skate or want to brush up on your skills. Don't want to skate? Settle in by the crackling fire and enjoy a Hot Cocoa or meal at the Warm Puppy cafe, conveniently located inside the arena. Access to the Ice Arena and cafe is free. An admission fee applies for skating. "

Makes you want to fly out to Northern California :)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Given Russia's invasion of Ukraine, I hope that Kamila and the other Russian skaters are not allowed to participate in Worlds at all.
I am with you on that. When you say "not allowed" it sounds like they are being punished for their government's actions. I don't think they should go to Worlds because they would not be safe there.
What a mess.!

Built in 1969 by Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz, Snoopy's Home Ice has been called the world's most beautiful ice arena. With the charm and ambiance of a Swiss Alpine village, and towering Redwoods in front of the building, Snoopy's Home Ice offers a unique experience not found at any other ice arena.

Snoopy's Home Ice is the coolest place in town for sports and fun. Whether you enjoy Figure Skating or Ice Hockey or just hanging out, there is something for everyone. Bring the family and spend the whole day - the Charles M. Schulz Museum is also right across the street. Snoopy's Home Ice has skating sessions daily and our professional coaching staff is always on hand if you want to learn how to skate or want to brush up on your skills. Don't want to skate? Settle in by the crackling fire and enjoy a Hot Cocoa or meal at the Warm Puppy cafe, conveniently located inside the arena. Access to the Ice Arena and cafe is free. An admission fee applies for skating.

In the words of the immortal Betty Davis (and a small paraphrase from me) Fasten your seat belts - you are in for a bumpy ride"

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Hmmmm... I wonder if Ukraine submitted an application to host and now, thanks to Putin, it's all up in the air again.

I first thought so but Ukraine hasn’t been active hosting ISU events like Belarus or Estonia. It could also be Kazakhstan, which has hosted international ISU competitions recently…and politically close to Russia (like Belarus).

I mentioned Estonia only because it’s now in the 2nd tier of Russia’s crosshairs…they may no longer wish to host. NATO member, with reinforcement troops on the way. The ISU wouldn’t want to host anything there at the moment, methinks.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I'm surprised no one is concerned about those lovely Ukrainian skaters who might be in danger, let alone trying to figure out how to train and get to a competition.
Here (PI thread): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/russia.94054/page-30#post-6218912

I also found & bumped up this older GSD thread:

Last edited:

Karen-W

I first thought so but Ukraine hasn’t been active hosting ISU events like Belarus or Estonia. It could also be Kazakhstan, which has hosted international ISU competitions recently…and politically close to Russia (like Belarus).
Heh. Not true at all. They have hosted plenty of ISU comps this year - not JGPs or ISU Championships but they've been holding plenty of senior Bs.

Frau Muller

Heh. Not true at all. They have hosted plenty of ISU comps this year - not JGPs or ISU Championships but they've been holding plenty of senior Bs.

Not to the degree of the others mentioned. Even Hungary has done more…Budapest Cup, Santa Claus Cup, Halloween Cup, Valentines Cup … just kidding on Valentines!

Frau Muller

I'm surprised no one is concerned about those lovely Ukrainian skaters who might be in danger, let alone trying to figure out how to train and get to a competition.

Shabotova lives & trains in Moscow. Others too?

Frau Muller

I would guess any Ukrainian in Moscow is feeling pretty in danger.
Hmmm…or maybe they feel safer in Moscow. It’s like Georgian skaters, ballet dancers & other artists continuing to live & work in Russia after the troubles in the Caucasus. It hardly affected them, that I know.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I think - and this is just my theory - the Western audiences are much-bonded to the legend of a well-rounded child athlete, who goes to school, plays the piano, hangs out with friends, skates for a few hours, grabs a gold medal and says, I just want to skate to have fun. You and I both know that doesn't exist in reality.
LOL you just described Nathan Chen*, unless of course Nathan doesn’t actually exist.

And a lot of other over- achieving high level skaters who yes, play an instrument at a fairly high level and somehow manage to gasp hang out with friends while still “enjoying the process and the journey.”

skatfan

"I'm surprised no one is concerned about those lovely Ukrainian skaters"

You sounded kind of accusatory. Do you really think no one who is posting on this thread is concerned about Ukrainian skaters? I'm thinking you don't really think that.
If people are, I haven’t seen them express it. That’s what I can say. If you feel concern (you didn’t say) then I apologize.

Instead what I see is speculation about how this will affect Russians.

Karen-W

Honestly, I doubt that the Russia-Ukraine conflict is going to impact travel visas unless the RFSF is run by Putin's oligarch cronies.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
If people are, I haven’t seen them express it. That’s what I can say. If you feel concern (you didn’t say) then I apologize.

Instead what I see is speculation about how this will affect Russians.
I'm a little sensitive on this topic of criticizing people for what they haven't posted. I don't post everything I think. No one does.

Its safer to save criticisms for things people have expressed I think.

skatfan

And when I see concern for a privileged group expressed and none for the marginalized people, I’m gonna say something. We’re just different.

hanca

Values her privacy
That's not true. Sofia Samodelkina (Davydov), Veronika Zhilina (Plushenko), and Anastasia Zinina (Plushenko) all landed quads on the JGP this past fall.
Muravieva also has something. I don’t recall if it was 3A or quad, but I recall her landing something either at senior or at junior nationals. She didn’t do it on JGP.

skatfan

You might consider the title of this thread, and then go look at threads discussing what is happening in Ukraine. There is a great deal of concern for Ukrainians, including but not limited to Ukrainian skaters.
Point taken.

skatfan

Samodelkina, Muravieva and Zinina will be senior eligible next season, unless they change the age eligibility from next season.
Yes, and let's see if they have their quads when they become eligible for seniors, which I hope goes to 17 year olds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information