From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Agreed, then again they ran an institutionalized doping system and got out of it pretty much unscathed so who even knows anymore.
I think the difference is that the Sochi doping scheme didn't become known until well after those WOGs were done. This is going down in front of the entire world DURING and in the most prestigious sport of the WOGs. If there is one thing you don't do it is to not embarrass the IOC DURING the Olympics when all of the world's media is focused on them.

screech

Based on IOC spokesperson comments, it's thus far looking like Russia will not be receiving any further 'bans'
There have been calls from members of the US media and elsewhere for Russia to be slapped with a ban from future Olympic Games, with current World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) sanctions against the country due to expire at the end of this year.

That is despite Valieva’s positive sample for the heart drug trimetazidine coming outside of the Games, and the skater returning repeated negative tests before and after the test was taken.

“I would remind you that it’s one doping case that has taken place here at the Winter Olympic Games so far, this case which isn’t concluded concerns an issue in December,” Adams said.

“This specific case, it’s difficult to make conclusions from a case that hasn’t reached a conclusion yet, and I don’t think you should do that.”

There will also be an asterisk next to the event results, as they are deemed provisional

soogar

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
As we expected, Russia will hand out their own medals and will hold their own medal ceremonies, and the only skaters who will truly suffer consequences are those who aren't even Russian. Shameful.
Russia can give its athletes whatever they want…a bag of pelmeni…a chocolate gold medal…an autographed portrait of Putin. Good grief.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Based on IOC spokesperson comments, it's thus far looking like Russia will not be receiving any further 'bans'

There will also be an asterisk next to the event results, as they are deemed provisional
I don't think you can read into those comments anything about future bans. Adams is very good at avoiding any comments and responding with a poker-facrd expression.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I do feel bad for Mark as all the others from the TE will have their Olympic podium medal moment from the IE (not KV but that’s of her own doing). He also appears to have stuck around in the hopes of getting that moment and to be KV’s emotional support puppy. Although I don’t buy KV stating no one else talks to her, there are actual clips of Anna talking to and trying to make her laugh at practice just the other day.

Last edited:

Amantide

Well, I think we've got Julia 2.0 for all the wrong reasons.
It's heartbreaking to see Kamila like this. The Pairs couldn't come fast enough for me.

I'll say this though. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Kamila is so young and plenty of time to prove herself and achieve the highest result. If she can stay healthy and wish to continue.

Last edited:

Amantide

I'm not sure what's going on with Trusova. Is she crying for Kamila or she's mad about her placement? I'm so confused right now. :confused:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I do feel bad for Mark as all the others from the TE will have their Olympic podium medal moment from the IE (not KV but that’s of her own doing). He also appears to have stuck around in the hopes of getting that moment and to be KV’s emotional support puppy. Although I don’t buy KV stating no one else talks to her, there are actual clips of Anna talking to and trying to make her laugh at practice just the other day.
She didn’t say no one else talks to her. She said she’s especially happy Mark has been around and all the trainers have been really nice.. something to that extent.

becca

She didn’t say no one else talks to her. She said she’s especially happy Mark has been around and all the trainers have been really nice.. something to that extent.
On Instagram there are photos of her, Mark and a few other people hanging out in Moscow. So seems like they are friends outside of skating

Amantide

She was pissed off at losing to Anna! Totally mental reaction!

I must say that Anna absolutely skated LIGHTS OUT! I have never been a fan, but omg she was incredible tonight! And she skated with so much anger! Loved it :cheer2::EVILLE::drama::cheer:
Kids. lol

Someone called Anna a ninja. Indeed she is. :D
Seriously though, good for her for being ready when it mattered the most. Nerves of steel. (y)

Scott512

As we expected, Russia will hand out their own medals and will hold their own medal ceremonies, and the only skaters who will truly suffer consequences are those who aren't even Russian. Shameful.
I will believe that when I see that. But they usually make the wrong move. At least wait until their team gold medal is stripped or vacated or by chance CAS rules with Kami again that the 42 day wait for the blood test was not fair before doing anything stupid like handing out their own medals. The Russian figure skating federation really needs to be overhauled at the top and get some fresh blood in there. The same goes for the ROC, rusada the IOC and the ISU. They could all be much better organizations.

At least there's still pairs competition to pay attention to and it should be really good. I will say today skating was exceptional 2014 was fantastic for the ladies 2018 phenomenal but this olympics takes the cake. Even with KV struggling.

Amantide

Thank god for Pairs. Great skating, especially the last group.
I preferred T&M the most today but S&H were fantastic as well. So, in the end, I'm okay with the placement. The competition is very tight heading to FS. This is going to be good.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Kids. lol

Someone called Anna a ninja. Indeed she is. :D
Seriously though, good for her for being ready when it mattered the most. Nerves of steel. (y)
Anna is the perfect OGM, after all. ALWAYS the underdog...everyone always counted her out, but she always delivered when it counted.
Moreover, she is very eloquent, speaks a decent English and has no scandals in her CV. Your perfect a-student.
Russia can be proud to have her.

Amantide

I hope S&H and T&M do medal as Gold and Silver, whichever Pair skates better.
As much as I love Moskvina her two Pairs are young. They can surely manage to go on for another 4 years and a bronze medal here is nothing to sneeze at. I'm not saying they should skate for bronze. But if they don't win here, to get on the podium at their first Olympic is a great result too.

Anyway, may the best win and here is hoping we have a great Free Skate.

Bigbird

I hope S&H and T&M do medal as Gold and Silver, whichever Pair skates better.
As much as I love Moskvina her two Pairs are young. They can surely manage to go on for another 4 years and a bronze medal here is nothing to sneeze at. I'm not saying they should skate for bronze. But if they don't win here, to get on the podium at their first Olympic is a great result too.

Anyway, may the best win and here is hoping we have a great Free Skate.
I wouldn't count out MG so soon. The difference is not great and they are great chasers. They bring out their best results under pressure. The LP will be epic. While personally I hope S/H win, I embrace the uncertainty of these games.

Amantide

I wouldn't count out MG so soon. The difference is not great and they are great chasers. They bring out their best results under pressure. The LP will be epic. While personally I hope S/H win, I embrace the uncertainty of these games.
Oh I don't count them out at all. The LP is a whole different game and they have the highest TES on paper, if I'm not mistaken? So, if they skate clean they will be difficult to beat, especially if other Pairs are not flawless. I can see them win this very well.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I'm found of B&K but they ain't Stolbova&Klimov. :D:swoon:And so while I hope all Pairs have a great skate, I do wish the older Pairs have their moment of glory in these Olympics. M&G but also B&K still have room for improvement and I think they will become even better later on. Of course, anything can change quickly in this sport but if they stay free of injuries (major ones at least) they can dominate the next 4 years.

Scott512

Thank god for Pairs. Great skating, especially the last group.
I preferred T&M the most today but S&H were fantastic as well. So, in the end, I'm okay with the placement. The competition is very tight heading to FS. This is going to be good.
You think it's pretty much settled who's going to win right?

Scott512

Clearly not. ^
It's a very small chance the Chinese pair does not win gold in China. It's kind of like you knew who was going to win dance. Only major mistakes can stop the Chinese pair. It's just the way it is.

Good luck to T & M. Virtually no chance for the gold medal for various reasons but I hope they do metal. That would mean TT would have medalists in 2 different categories at the same Olympics. That would be very unique and she's already had a man finished in the top 10. I don't know where her daughter's team finished but I guess it was in the top 20.

Xela M

It's a very small chance the Chinese pair does not win gold in China. It's kind of like you knew who was going to win dance. Only major mistakes can stop the Chinese pair. It's just the way it is.

Good luck to T & M. Virtually no chance for the gold medal for various reasons but I hope they do metal. That would mean TT would have medalists in 2 different categories at the same Olympics. That would be very unique and she's already had a man finished in the top 10. I don't know where her daughter's team finished but I guess it was in the top 20.
Errr... ok then... it's not like the Chinese skated amazingly today and deserved their placement? :shuffle:

And T&M are only a few tens behind the Chinese, so what are you on about?

Maybe it was clear who was going to win in Sochi :rolleyes: but anything can happen tomorrow

Last edited:

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
How exactly is any “Western” skater or coach supposed to feel comfortable going to Rostelcom next season when the Ministry of Defense is being used to “protect” their athletes? I have a feeling the GP series is going to be a sh*tshow next season.

Edited: This appears to have been a flash mob and not the Ministry of Defense.

Last edited:

Amantide

As I said above, the LP is a whole different game. Given how close they are heading into the LP, especially the first two Pairs, a small error may make a difference. M&G also have less then 2 points difference which may or not be nothing. If the Chinese don't make any mistake, then I think they are likely to win because they have an edge on PCS. But it's very close competition and anything can happen. I really have no idea who's going to win this.

Amantide

How exactly is any “Western” skater or coach supposed to feel comfortable going to Rostelcom next season when the Ministry of Defense is being used to “protect” their athletes? I have a feeling the GP series is going to be a sh*tshow next season.
That's a flash mob in support of Kamila. The re-tweet from that guy is BS.

Check out the original tweet.

A quick google translation says:

Pupils of the Stavropol PKU joined the flash mob #KamilaWeStore in support of the Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva

Here is another
Cadets of the Peter the Great Military Academy of the Strategic Missile Forces joined the flash mob #KamilaWeStoboy in support of Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva.

And another:
Pupils of the Tula Suvorov Military School joined the flash mob #KamilaWeStore in support of the Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva.

And more:

Students of the boarding school for pupils of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation joined the flash mob #KamilaWeStoboi in support of the Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva.
Another one:
Pupils of the Omsk Cadet Military Corps joined the flash mob #KamilaWeStore in support of the Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva.

And more, which I'm not bringing here because that's enough, I think. lol
They started to post them yesterday in the morning before the competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information