CAS rules Valieva can compete - reactions/fallout, plus some details from the hearing

Tahuu

Have you checked with them? I'm pretty sure that at least two of them would like to receive the CORRECT medal, judging by the fact that Wakaba Higuchi liked the USOPC statement tweet and Chris Knierim has also tweeted on the subject (but maybe he hasn't communicated with his wife on the topic yet).
Here you go. All 220 US Olympians tell IOC that they want US Figure Skating Team get their medals and celebrate their win in Beijing. https://twitter.com/USOPC_AAC/status/1493439026044436480/photo/1

Allskate

Actually I wonder if the intention was to take the one that's not on the banned list, and it was laced with the other, just like fentanyl finds its way into heroin. Since this is super shady to begin with, there probably isn't much regulation of what's actually in the medication billed as "hypoxene."

Unlike heroin in the United States, it doesn't look like Hypoxen is illegal in Russia. It appears to be approved for medical use and sold over the counter, so I doubt she's buying it on the black market.

"Hypoxen was shown to have antihypoxic and antioxidant effects and can be used by healthy people with reduced performance in extreme situations and adverse weather conditions, e.g. Far North, highlands, etc. Hypoxenum is used by athletes to improve physical performance, yet it is not on the WADA Prohibited List. Apart from that, the drug was also shown to be effective in patients suffering from alcohol abuse problems as it can decrease cravings, improve mood, lower anxiety, and asthenia.

Hypoxen can be used in the combination therapy of conditions associated with hypoxia: severe injuries, burns, major surgery, blood loss, as well as asthma and obstructive bronchitis, pneumonia, and insufficient oxygen supply to the issues. Moreover, Hypoxenum reduces the amount of damage caused to the heart by myocardial infarction; the drug also activates the functional activity of monocytes in patients with viral hepatitis, recurrent herpes, influenza, and acute respiratory viral infections (ARVI).

In 1996, the drug was approved for medical use and has been sold without prescription in Russia since then."

manhn

It is interesting, if not really surprising, how quiet The Japanese skating fed and Olympic Organization have been. Besides the team medal, they are the most affected in the ladies event. There was the post about Kihari. I wonder what would happen if Hanyu did the team event….

Trillian

I came across a case that happened 10 years ago (just found out about it). This was not during the Olympics but Diana Taurasi of WNBA was banned after a positive test. Later the Turkish lab retracted the test results and her ban was lifted.

Right, and until she was cleared, she was suspended from playing. Because that’s how doping investigations are supposed to work.

altai_rose

Unlike heroin in the United States, it doesn't look like Hypoxen is illegal in Russia. It appears to be approved for medical use and sold over the counter, so I doubt she's buying it on the black market.

"Hypoxen was shown to have antihypoxic and antioxidant effects and can be used by healthy people with reduced performance in extreme situations and adverse weather conditions, e.g. Far North, highlands, etc. Hypoxenum is used by athletes to improve physical performance, yet it is not on the WADA Prohibited List. Apart from that, the drug was also shown to be effective in patients suffering from alcohol abuse problems as it can decrease cravings, improve mood, lower anxiety, and asthenia.

Hypoxen can be used in the combination therapy of conditions associated with hypoxia: severe injuries, burns, major surgery, blood loss, as well as asthma and obstructive bronchitis, pneumonia, and insufficient oxygen supply to the issues. Moreover, Hypoxenum reduces the amount of damage caused to the heart by myocardial infarction; the drug also activates the functional activity of monocytes in patients with viral hepatitis, recurrent herpes, influenza, and acute respiratory viral infections (ARVI).

In 1996, the drug was approved for medical use and has been sold without prescription in Russia since then."
Yes, hypoxene looks like the Russian version of Coenzyme Q10.

(Yes, I might just have some expertise in mitochondrial disorders. :) )

alexikeguchi

It could be available OTC in Russia and still not regulated as to what is actually in it. That is pretty much the same case with supplements in the US, and I doubt Russia has more rigorous standards.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

Be that as it may, it is still a banned substance by the Oly Committee. And everyone should know that....Eteri for example.

Allskate

Here you go. All 220 US Olympians tell IOC that they want US Figure Skating Team get their medals and celebrate their win in Beijing. https://twitter.com/USOPC_AAC/status/1493439026044436480/photo/1
That tweet is from an organization that represents all the American Olympians, not from the American Olympians themselves. And definitely not from the Japanese team members. I certainly would like the ceremony to take place if everyone on the American and Japanese teams want it to take place, but this doesn't indicate that is the case and there may be reasons why the IOC believes that the ceremony cannot take place.

It is interesting, if not really surprising, how quiet The Japanese skating fed and Olympic Organization have been
Someone posted that Higuchi liked the USOC statement. I think it's a difficult situation for the skating federation. They have some of their top skaters yet to skate and be judged. I think that even Higuchi's like and Alyssa's dad's statement are pretty gutsy because they won't want to alienate the Russia judges and their friends.

Be that as it may, it is still a banned substance by the Oly Committee. And everyone should know that....Eteri for example.
That link is not about TMZ, which is the banned substance she tested positive for. And my point was a response to a suggestion that the hypoxen may have been obtained in a dodgy situation and laced with the banned substance. I think it's pretty clear that I believe that Valieva should have been suspended for testing positive for TMZ.

altai_rose

Actually hypoxene is not a banned substance. Neither is l-carnitine (above some IV limit), and antioxidants like quercetin, coenzyme q10 (what hypoxene derives from, per Google), folinic acid, etc. They're basically like multivitamins. (Actually, for those who want to know, B and C vitamins are antioxidants and mitochondrial protectants too, and also often included in 'mito cocktails.')

Obviously, there's still the question of why she had TMZ in her body.

AxelAnnie

Actually it's not a banned substance. Neither is l-carnitine (above some IV limit), and antioxidants like quercetin, coenzyme q10, folinic acid, etc.
Wait..........if it is not a banned substance, why was she banned? That makes about as much sense as everything else.

just tuned in

According to the CAS hearing, she's not denying that it showed up on the test and she's also taking something else.

Where are the doctors on FSU that understand doctorese for hypoxene?
What this tells us is that she is aware of what's is going into her body. Kind of runs counter to some of arguments that as a child of 15 years, she did not know.

reckless

I'm curious about people's thoughts on the supplements that are not banned by WADA. If hypoxene is like CoQ10, which is taken by many adults, and good for adult hearts, does that mean that it should be okay for them to be be taken by young, healthy athletes? CoQ10 is naturally found in the body, but it decreases over your lifetime so, at least in the U.S., barring certain diagnoses, I think it is usually recommended for people 50 or older.

The only reason these teens are taking these supplements is for their performance-enhancing benefits. In a way, you could probably say that about any vitamins they take, but I worry that we don't know enough about the effects of these supplements in children and teens. I guess I'm not sure how I feel about the notion that, just because it is not banned, it's okay for young athletes to use.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I wonder how many of those Russian teenagers training with Valieva suffer from "heart variations" and take hypoxene.
As many as had "exercise-induced asthma" under Alberto Salazar. ;)

Yes, hypoxene looks like the Russian version of Coenzyme Q10.

(Yes, I might just have some expertise in mitochondrial disorders. :) )
I used to take that! Then I switched to ubiquinol because it's supposed to be better absorbed. It's supposed to give us old folks more energy but I wasn't convinced it did anything so I stopped buying it to save the money.

CoQ10 and L-carnitine are popular with endurance athletes.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Oh, Eteri knew. She probably promised Valieva she wouldn't get caught

If they even told her what was in it. She might have been told that it was vitamins or something. Like the athletes taking "supplement" from Balco were told to use "the cream" or "the clear" ointments.

And once again....Marijuana is not banned. It's only banned above a certain level. So athletes can toke up all they want as long as they don't exceed the amount that's allowed to be in their system.

AxelAnnie

What is the purpose of all this? She is either in or she is out. I need an interpreter.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
And, once again, we have the RUSSIAN media sharing confidential information about this case. Beyond the very strange defense that Valieva mounted, is anyone else seriously disturbed by the absolute lack of respect the Russian media has for her status as a Protected Person?

I cannot believe that CAS rejected the appeal to reinstate the provisional suspension based on everything that has been revealed. This really just blows the mind. And I think it also helps explain why the IOC/ISU aren't interested in holding a medal ceremony for any events in which she places in the top 3 at this time.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I want Kamila to go out on the ice and skate around the rink for two minutes so as to not qualify for the free skate. Then she will show what the adults around her seem to be incapable of - integrity, honesty, and fairness. That, would be her Olympic glory.
I would cry so much if she did that.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I just read in the biggest German tabloid BILD that a Russian politician proposed that KV should carry the ROC-flag at the Closing Ceremony :rofl:.
Russia are the undisputed Olympic Champions of Trolling if they really go on with this.
If the ROC does this then I hope like hell the USOPC, COC, and JOC put their figure skaters in as flag bearers... Karen Chen, Maddie Schizas and whomever of Wakaba or Kaori finishes higher in the Women’s event, and then have the rest of the FS TE members following immediately behind. ROC wants to troll like that then the other countries should push right back and make it clear what they think of that.

Mayra

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but someone got their hands on the hearing document and it's viewable in embedded form on this website:

A few things to note:

5. Valieva herself already takes a different heart medication (?!?) -hypoxene "when asked at the hearing why she took hypoxen, her mother responded that she took it to treat "heart variations" :eek:Interesting given that it's marketed as the following "Hypoxen provides a reduction in oxygen consumption with significant physical exertion, improved tissue respiration, a decrease in mental and physical fatigue, and the successful implementation of labor-intensive physical operations." I mean I guess your heart beating faster during exertion could be considered a heart variation. (lol)
The most interesting thing about this IMO is...

The Dossier Center found out that Valieva was taking another drug with dubious effectiveness - the drug Hypoxen. According to the instructions, it reduces oxygen consumption and increases the body's performance in extreme situations. Why Valieva was appointed Hypoxen is not clear. According to Zholinsky, in whose institution the skater undergoes a medical examination every six months, she is absolutely healthy and does not need any medication.

However, the doctors of the sports complex where Camila trained, having studied the documents of the same medical board, decided that the athlete had heart problems and told her to take Hypoxen.
Her mother Alsu Valieva spoke about this at a meeting on February 9.

I can't imagine a physician specializing in sports medicine telling their 15 year old athlete:

"I found some heart variations in your physical. Have some Hypoxen." This is to suspend disbelief.

She's taking legal vitamins/supplements for recovery and everything else athletes take supplements for. Nothing surprising there. Whether she needs it as a 15 year old athlete is up for debate, but legal is legal.

The issue I have here, is the reason for taking it. All of this coming after her general physician deemed her healthy. Either this doctor straight out lied to Kamila's mother, or he's a quack doctor and his treatments are negligent. Scratch that, either way he's a quack! :wall:

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
They changed the formula because people were cooking it to make meth. They also moved it behind the counter and made it an age-restricted item. Alas, it also doesn’t work as well as it used to.
They still sell the real deal pseudoephedrine behind the counter with monthly purchase limits. Phenylepherine was the replacement that they used for the products not behind the counter. It has 30% of the bioavibility and is basically worthless as a decongestant.

Real Sudafed is magical to me in allergy season, but I’ve been too freaked out to go in the pharmacy to buy it since YNW started.

Primorskaya

Visited my favourite news skip (FS Gossips) to see the reactions from Russia and basically it's propaganda, everyone closing the ranks around our discriminated martyr skater and her sainted coach. Not that I'm surprised after the CAS decision.

Plushenko came out in favour of an age-raise to 17, interestingly. (Apparently writes a column for some paper, translated here. It's mostly encouragement for their team besides that, but I wonder if he's sticking his head above the parapet here, or if it's a widely shared sentiment among Russian coaches. Certainly not by Eteri one would imagine)

becca

Hi
Visited my favourite news skip (FS Gossips) to see the reactions from Russia and basically it's propaganda, everyone closing the ranks around our discriminated martyr skater and her sainted coach. Not that I'm surprised after the CAS decision.

Plushenko came out in favour of an age-raise to 17, interestingly. (Apparently writes a column for some paper, translated here. It's mostly encouragement for their team besides that, but I wonder if he's sticking his head above the parapet here, or if it's a widely shared sentiment among Russian coaches. Certainly not by Eteri one would imagine)
He is absolutely right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information