Unpopular Opinions

clairecloutier

I felt that Kostner's costumes early in her career really didn't suit her well. I vaguely remember fluffy skirts, multicolored costumes, and sequins. Later in her career, she adopted a more streamlined, monochromatic, unfussy style that I thought was perfect for her height and style of skating.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I don’t long for the days of Asada, Kim and Kostner…
I don't miss the former two's fan wars, that's for sure. Thank goodness it wasn't so bad on FSU as it was elsewhere. I think we unintentionally scared off the most ardent fans from having daily flame wars here.

Bonjour Sherry

1. Russian female skaters, whom I find super uncompelling: Sotnikova, Medvedeva, Zagitova, Sotskova, Samodurova, and Tuktamysheva. I find Sotnikova, Medvedeva, Zagitova, and Sotskova super blah and would have much rather seen others at the Olympics. Sotskova and Samodurova have very unattractive Rippon jumps. Pogorilaya and Tsurskaya are better and more compelling skaters, it's a shame they didn't get to go to Olys.

2. I don't enjoy watching Tuktamysheva at all. Other than her 3axel and textbook lutz, the rest of her skating is very average. Don't agree at all with people who claim "wuzrobbed" in the past (case in point -- LaTuk vs Miyahara NHK Trophy 2018) for this reason.

3. I find Hanyu very blah. While objectively he's among the greatest and that's hard to dispute, he has very few programs I actually enjoy watching. The few that I actually like, he recycles over and over. And over again. I'd rather watch Daisuke Takahashi any day.

4. I'm sick of people making such a big deal out of Miyahara's small jumps when part of it is that she learned the jumps using an unnatural jump direction, and when the rest of her skating is so top notch.

5. The IJS system is garbage. At the end of the day, it never marks skaters, on either mark, based on how they actually skated. The corruption is just as bad as under 6.0, with the exception of ice dance, so the system doesn't solve the issues that it was attempting to solve anyways.

Largely because of this reason, my interest in skating has fizzled out. If I watch skating, I usually rewatch programs from the '98-'05 era. And even though ice dance judging was crap pre-IJS, I actually enjoyed the 6.0 ice dance programs more, DRAMATIKS and all.

6. Sotnikova winning the Olympics was a farce, and that is bordering on fact. I'm so tired of trolls who try to claim otherwise. (To be fair, though I was happy Wagner got her Worlds medal two years later, the home advantage was almost just as bad.)

7. I fully support using BOW to choose Wagner in 2014, Rippon in 2018 over Miner etc. Don't get the poor logic of those who try to argue otherwise.

8. The quality of skating blogs / event reviews is considerably lower than in the past. I still deem Frogs On Ice to be the gold standard in terms of objective assessment of skating, and in terms of understanding what constitutes good skating.

ETA. Japan cancelling Grand Prix Final due to "COVID risk". .....I guess? COVID is not going away anytime soon, trying to create a permanent cocoon doesn't solve the problem.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I can't stand Chaplin programs, regardless of who is skating to that music, or portraying Chaplin. I learned to tolerate B/S. The sole exception is their The Kid exhibition.

Last edited:

Bonjour Sherry

A few more:

1. I cannot stand programs to Nocturne in C# Minor. What a dreadful nocturne, Chopin has so many better nocturnes so why not skate to them instead? Immediate bathroom break.

2. I also cannot stand programs to Historia de un Amor.

3. Shin Amano should go to hell.

On My Own

1. Russian female skaters, whom I find super uncompelling: Sotnikova, Medvedeva, Zagitova, Sotskova, Samodurova, and Tuktamysheva. I find Sotnikova, Medvedeva, Zagitova, and Sotskova super blah and would have much rather seen others at the Olympics. Sotskova and Samodurova have very unattractive Rippon jumps. Pogorilaya and Tsurskaya are better and more compelling skaters, it's a shame they didn't get to go to Olys.

2. I don't enjoy watching Tuktamysheva at all. Other than her 3axel and textbook lutz, the rest of her skating is very average. Don't agree at all with people who claim "wuzrobbed" in the past (case in point -- LaTuk vs Miyahara NHK Trophy 2018) for this reason.

4. I'm sick of people making such a big deal out of Miyahara's small jumps when part of it is that she learned the jumps using an unnatural jump direction, and when the rest of her skating is so top notch.

5. The IJS system is garbage. At the end of the day, it never marks skaters, on either mark, based on how they actually skated. The corruption is just as bad as under 6.0, with the exception of ice dance, so the system doesn't solve the issues that it was attempting to solve anyways.

Largely because of this reason, my interest in skating has fizzled out. If I watch skating, I usually rewatch programs from the '98-'05 era. And even though ice dance judging was crap pre-IJS, I actually enjoyed the 6.0 ice dance programs more, DRAMATIKS and all.

6. Sotnikova winning the Olympics was a farce, and that is bordering on fact. I'm so tired of trolls who try to claim otherwise. (To be fair, though I was happy Wagner got her Worlds medal two years later, the home advantage was almost just as bad.)
I agree with these points. And I'm going to go check out Frogs on Ice now!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Not even Leonova's "smile"?
She did a good job. It is one of the tolerable ones. The music choice was good.

Actually in the early 1990s Petr Barna skated a really nice Chaplin program. It was fresh at the time and I enjoyed it. In the last 20 years though it has become boring- the music,the moves, the acting, and the skating.

When tiny Kurakova skated her LP to Chaplin music it was just too much for me. Couple days ago a Japanese skater skated a Chaplin program. I moved away from the screen.

I am a big fan of ElenaAnton but their Citylights LP is my least loved program of them.

suki

I fast-forward through the videos of P/C, S/K, and H/D routines. I still watch videos of Davis/White, 2015-2018 Shib/Shibs. and Virtue/Moir to alleviate the boredom. I am hoping the next crop of ice dancing teams who dominate the next Olympic cycle will restore some of the excitement, originality and versatility these teams.

becca

Other coaches including Frank Carrol could learn from Team Eteris packaging of Trusova.

To often skaters are put in a position where they have to be pretty princess.

Team Eteri decided to let Sasha own her athleticism I am villian with those quads. I love it.

Last edited:

Peepsquick

I fast-forward through the videos of P/C, S/K, and H/D routines. I still watch videos of Davis/White, 2015-2018 Shib/Shibs. and Virtue/Moir to alleviate the boredom. I am hoping the next crop of ice dancing teams who dominate the next Olympic cycle will restore some of the excitement, originality and versatility these teams.
All a question of taste! :D
My unpopular take Shb/Shibs as ice dancers do not alleviate boredom ...:slinkaway

briancoogaert

Hanuy bores me to tears with the exception of a couple of SPs. I find his posture terrible and he looks sloppy overall. Makes me cringe.
He has some interesting moments in few programs (I like his 2018 Olympics LP performance). But his LP at Japanese Nationals is amazingly bland. There is absolutely nothing but jumps, and as you said, his posture is terrible.

Japanfan

He has some interesting moments in few programs (I like his 2018 Olympics LP performance). But his LP at Japanese Nationals is amazingly bland. There is absolutely nothing but jumps, and as you said, his posture is terrible.
Hanyu has never done it for me. I am not sure why, as I appreciate him and it's amazing how his muscles seem to partly be made of rubber.

But I'll probably root for him at the OG, if he gets there. Probably because I perceive him to be the underdog in this situation, and I often root for the underdog when undecided (not particularly a Nathan fan).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 80234

Not saying it isn’t overused, it’s a many times reused program, but I don’t see how it can be described as absolutely nothing but jumps when it includes steps and spins. I’m not an expert at all but I kind of like it, the layback, some of the steps.

Primorskaya

I would like the phrase "ultra jumps" to die a cold and fast death.
The whole Ultra-C thing in skating can't disappear fast enough.

My unpopular opinion: I actually rather liked the spider-cam at Russian Nats. Even though it did make me feel a bit seasick at times.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I am not a fan of sibling teams. The only one I liked was the Carruthers (back in the day), they were raised as brother and sister but were adopted and not blood relatives. Not sure that is the point but for some reason, they were the only sibling team I have ever liked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information