Unpopular Opinions

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I miss La La Land programs. I didn't much care for the movie but I liked just about all La La Land programs.

The vast majority of euler combination jumps look awkward.

I think arms over the head (single or both arms) in jumps are quite esthetically pleasing and don't see anything particularly special about arms crossed over the chest.

Bent leg pairs lifts aren't nearly as attractive as straight leg pairs lifts.

MsZem

I see the sea
I miss La La Land programs. I didn't much care for the movie but I liked just about all La La Land programs.

The vast majority of euler combination jumps look awkward.

I think arms over the head (single or both arms) in jumps are quite esthetically pleasing and don't see anything particularly special about arms crossed over the chest.

Bent leg pairs lifts aren't nearly as attractive as straight leg pairs lifts.
Except for the La La Land programs, I concur.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I too miss LaLa Land programs.

I am having difficulty really liking Kamila this season, though I have loved her since she was nine.

I normally like teal color but I am getting tired of teal color dresses.

VGThuy

I hate that Disturbed cover of “Sound of Silence” and thought James/Cipres skate to it was nice at Euros but quite overrated.

The La La Land soundtrack is much better suited to skating than most post-2010 introduced warhorses and I don’t groan when I hear it.

I like the old school quickstep, tap, Singin’ in the Rain style programs and choices. Most of the problem is the Ice Dance rules that ruin the ability for the skaters/choreographers to truly go ham with it. I also think those choices are more daring than the “In my Shirt” type of programs fans somehow convinced themselves are automatically more artistic. The art is in the skater, not the choice. P/C are artists because they could do Singin’ in the Rain and make one feel like they’re back in 1951 and watching that for the first time.

I truly hate what COP has done to spins and how skaters put them in programs that I prefer 1990s style spins. That’s saying a lot when they were way under appreciated, and still developing until the baby ballerinas of the 2000s came and raised the game. The evolution of spins were moving along fine until COP killed them. The unpopular part of this is me thinking spins were better utilized in the 1990s and more awe-inducing when you saw a great one.

Skating needs a shake up and a huge change with the current SP and LP format and I actually approved of the ISU’s thrown away idea of a technical and artistic skate but knowing the ISU and the judges who don’t know what PCS truly is, it would have been botched anyway and the AP would have just been protocol judging based on politicks.

That goes into my next segue…I fear skating is going in a direction where I may stop being a hardcore fan in a few years.

Everyone’s PCS should be lowered by like twenty or more points except for Jason Brown and other skaters who actually provide real programs with real attention to performance and dance. The skaters with multiple quads can still win with TES and quads take energy so it’s understandable that they saves tend to save performance towards the end, but if one makes that sort of choice, it should reflect in PCS. Maybe increase quad values if one is worried that a program with all triples will beat a messy one with multiple quads I don’t know.

I want transitions out of GOE. They should be taken more seriously in PCS, but jumps should only be judged on quality of the actual jump which include correct entrances, run of blade on landing, landing position, musicality, ease of entering and exiting (no muscling), and height/length of said jump in proportion to size of skater.

There should be deductions for ugly and too many transitions. Posture, carriage, and leg line need to be a major part of GOE/PCS for all disciplines.

Last edited:

angi

I think ice dance is broken (perhaps beyond repair) and that the new -5/+5 scoring system is killing it.

I think in ice dance the current top senior teams don't really challenge themselves technically and when others see them rewarded for elements that are simpler than what some of the juniors are doing it makes them water down their material.

I will never understand how Valieva and Shcherbakova manage to land triples, let alone quads with their current technique.

skateboy

I would rather watch a skating program to Carmen for the billionth time, than to Hallelujah.

In fact, hearing Hallelujah once was enough for me, I kind of hate it. And I feel vindicated to know that even Leonard Cohen doesn't think it's all that great.

hanca

Values her privacy
I will never understand how Valieva and Shcherbakova manage to land triples, let alone quads with their current technique.
Fear of Tutberidze gives them wings?

(I am missing Tinami. She would now post photos of Valieva and Scherbakova hugging Tutberidze, smiling and being happy in Tutberidze’s company, to prove that they are not scared of her.)

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Cool topic was just thinking about stuff like this yesterday

Ice dancing seems to be morphing into synchronized skating or ice theater. I wish they would be in hold 75% of the time to make it ..... you know actual dancing

I too think jump combinations with the Euler are awkward and visually distracting

With the new judging system I waited to give my opinion but it’s true most programs all look the same. I wish we could limit jumps and limit jumps with the arms over the head and bring back that sport called figure skating and not emphasize so much on what it has become - ice jumping.

Re ban music with lyrics (sorry folks - Emo music has ruined it for all songs with lyrics)

Have photos of Amber Glenn hanging over the ice rink at every competition going forward

Last edited:

screech

• I miss serpentine step sequences, as well as step sequences that take less than 30 seconds
  • I wish we went back to having a designated solo jump in the SP (and for that jump to have required steps leading into it)
  • I want ice dance to go back to having to be more in hold
  • The jumps with one arm above the head just don't look right to me without a Boitano-style spread eagle going into it. And especially not when all floppy (depending on costumes, I sometimes can't tell if it's an arm or their pony tail coughTuktamyshevacough)
  • I'm happy there's no spiral sequence anymore, though I wish it was a 'field moves' sequence instead of a choreographic sequence. I want to see a combination of spread eagles, ina bauers, spirals, pivots, etc. Not whatever randomness ends up being deemed a choreographic sequence.
  • I'm opening a can of worms with this one, but IMO Yuna Kim did not deserve gold in 2014

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information