Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatingguy

decently
I don’t think I would ever ‘congratulate’ someone to their weight, that sounds pretty weird, but are we going to pretend that weight doesn’t matter in figure skating? Considering that landing a jump makes the force 4-6 times of the skater’s body weight, the weight actually matters because any extra weight is pretty bad for the knees and hips. Furthermore, in pairs, where there is lots of lifting involved, any excess weight is also not very healthy for the male who does the lifting. I am not saying one should look like a skeleton, the skater needs to muscles to be able to jump, but keeping the weight low is important and there is no point pretending otherwise.
Weight to strength ratio is the important metric, not weight alone.

pointbleu

But why? All having a single age cut-off date allows the skaters and Federations competing in one season to be confident that skaters under a certain age won't be able to compete at all that season, while athletes who meet the minimum age can also be released throughout the year, become eligible to skate throughout the year after sit-out periods, form new teams throughout the year, or decide to un-retire throughout the year.
You need a cut-off date and it should go with the start of the season to be fair to everyone. Someone who would be eligible right before Worlds wouldn’t be eligible to take part in senior B or even Grand Prix events to help his/her preparation? Only allowed to skate junior up to March where you’d be able to skate seniors?

pointbleu

Basically you are saying "stop praising people who work hard to achieve their difficult goal".
I can understand "do not blame (not thin people)" motto, but "stop praising"...
"Stop praising people who climbed Everest", "stop praising free divers who dive 100+ meters", basically "stop praising anyone who done something hard/painful".
Just tell to them that all their effort, pain and hard work was for nothing, was pointless, not worth praising. They definitely will feel better.
or... may be someone else will?
Do not praise or compliment someone on their weight and they are known /prone to have an eating disorder.

What don’t you understand in that?!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I would say that you have some control over your level of fitness.
You (meaning many people) do, in the middle of the bell curve. At the extremes it’s much harder to gain or lose weight and even in the middle most of us have lost the same 10-20 pounds and put it back more than once by late middle age.

I’m not weight-sensitive for myself, despite the extra 10 crud pounds I’m carrying because it doesn’t make much difference if I’m a 10 or a 12 except to my vanity. For young women skaters where weight affects both performance and perception at a vulnerable time in life, it’s a honking big NO to discuss their weight issues. It contributes to one of the most dangerous parts of the sport.

pointbleu

Some people are just naturally thin. They eat and eat some more of they want.

I have them!
I know! 🙂 My question is why would we praise someone for being thin when : 1-it’s natural so the person had nothing to do about it
2- or attained by unhealthy means

I would rather see a skater fit than thin. Maybe it would result in the same shape, but the emphasis would be a on an healthy goal rather than on expectations.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I know! 🙂 My question is why would we praise someone for being thin when : 1-it’s natural so the person had nothing to do about it
2- or attained by unhealthy means

I would rather see a skater fit than thin. Maybe it would result in the same shape, but the emphasis would be a on an healthy goal rather than on expectations.
I have no idea why thin is praised. I guess we think it is a nicer look. No reason that you can't be thin and healthy and.fit. you know...eat healthily and exercise more. You can never use to bulk up or to be long and lean. There are lots of reasons why people (skaters or anyone) would go off the rails with food.

You are, of course, are.free to prefer what body type you like. Some people are lucky with what are not. With...and some people have to work really hard to get a result. IMO eating disorders (which is what I assume you are referring to with un healthy eating.). I believe that unhealthy eating has less to do with food than what is going on in your brain.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Only allowed to skate junior up to March where you’d be able to skate seniors?
Why not? As opposed to only being able to skate juniors until July 1, and then being able to skate seniors?

Championships would be out, unless there was a senior international at the very beginning of March at which to earn the minimums, and if a skater could qualify for championships through one competition at the beginning of March, why is this a problem? That would be perfectly fine for an age-eligible skater whose sit-out period ended at the end of February, so why shouldn't it apply to juniors?

Scott512

Is Stanislava skating at Rusnats? She has kind of disappeared and she has a new coach Viktoria Volchkova a fine skater following Irina and Maria.

Tobbe

Is Stanislava skating at Rusnats? She has kind of disappeared and she has a new coach Viktoria Volchkova a fine skater following Irina and Maria.
Her goal was Nationals this year, but she got sick in you-know-what so she couldn't enter the Russian Cup.
Hopefully we'll see her next season.

Draculus

Do not praise or compliment someone on their weight and they are known /prone to have an eating disorder.

What don’t you understand in that?!
Do not praise skaters - and they won't have any injuries. It's easy, no praising risky behavior -> no risk -> no injuries.
Isn't it simple?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Do not praise skaters - and they won't have any injuries. It's easy, no praising risky behavior -> no risk -> no injuries.
Isn't it simple?
You can trip and fall just walking down steps, and get injured. Yes, there is risk in walking down steps. It has happened to me.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Valieva jumping her quads during Thursday practice in Sochi. Looking strong! She is definitely not the toothpick-thin teen that one usually associates with TeamEteri.

Spun Silver

Valieva jumping her quads during Thursday practice in Sochi. Looking strong! She is definitely not the toothpick-thin teen that one usually associates with TeamEteri.

I think she's wearing butt pads.

Scott512

She makes quads with hands over head look as easy as a hot knife through butter. The KaMissile is ready to take off in Sochi. She is the strongest looking of the EG girls. Her and sasha that is. I would consider Zagitova the strongest EG girl but she unofficially retired 2 years ago.

I can't wait to see sasha come back soon. I'm sorry they could not sneak her into this event so she could make the GPF. I have a feeling Maya will blow a GPF spot. Her Samodurova and Konstantinova like score in Warsaw is a concern. Hopefully Maya will do well this event and get a medal and make the GPF. That would be very good for 15 year old.

Scott512

Her goal was Nationals this year, but she got sick in you-know-what so she couldn't enter the Russian Cup.
Hopefully we'll see her next season.
Stasya got sick? :(

Not competing this season will be tough for her to overcome next season. A few girls will be 15 next season and eligible for seniors and that will push Stasya down even further.

Skibean

She makes quads with hands over head look as easy as a hot knife through butter. The KaMissile is ready to take off in Sochi. She is the strongest looking of the EG girls. Her and sasha that is. I would consider Zagitova the strongest EG girl but she unofficially retired 2 years ago.

I can't wait to see sasha come back soon. I'm sorry they could not sneak her into this event so she could make the GPF. I have a feeling Maya will blow a GPF spot. Her Samodurova and Konstantinova like score in Warsaw is a concern. Hopefully Maya will do well this event and get a medal and make the GPF. That would be very good for 15 year old.
Zagitova? Seriously? 😂😂. She wouldn’t be competitive with these girls today. Maybe at her peak she would be the strongest, but I feel like we could say that about any skater. And didn’t Trusova already beat Zagitova at her peak?

alexikeguchi

SP WR for Kamila today! Am I the only one who loves her skating right now? I found her even more amazing in person, but she is still pretty spectacular on video. Even apart from her quads and spin positions, which are obviously incredible, I didn't hear her blades at all today, her speed and flow are breathtaking, and I don't find that she skates through the music at all. On the contrary, I think she is extremely sensitive to subtle musical phrasing, such as just around 1:00 where she emphasizes the crescendo with her arm movement. There were all sorts of beautiful moments like that in her Skate Canada performances. I don't love the choice of Bolero or its choreography for her FS, but I lay that squarely at the feet of her coaches and not her. To me, her skating is absolutely glorious.

Scott512

Zagitova? Seriously? 😂😂. She wouldn’t be competitive with these girls today. Maybe at her peak she would be the strongest, but I feel like we could say that about any skater. And didn’t Trusova already beat Zagitova at her peak?
I was talking physically strong and powerful.

As far as scoring goes I think if AZ wanted to get into competitive form i think she could score 230 points again consistently and that would put her on many podiums even without an ultra jump. The reality is most of the girls with the ultra jumps have ultra problems. Except for Kamila and Liza. And Anna.

Scott512

SP WR for Kamila today! Am I the only one who loves her skating right now? I found her even more amazing in person, but she is still pretty spectacular on video. Even apart from her quads and spin positions, which are obviously incredible, I didn't hear her blades at all today, her speed and flow are breathtaking, and I don't find that she skates through the music at all. On the contrary, I think she is extremely sensitive to subtle musical phrasing, such as just around 1:00 where she emphasizes the crescendo with her arm movement. There were all sorts of beautiful moments like that in her Skate Canada performances. I don't love the choice of Bolero or its choreography for her FS, but I lay that squarely at the feet of her coaches and not her. To me, her skating is absolutely glorious.
You're not the only one. She is special.

Skibean

I was talking physically strong and powerful.

As far as scoring goes I think if AZ wanted to get into competitive form i think she could score 230 points again consistently and that would put her on many podiums even without an ultra jump. The reality is most of the girls with the ultra jumps have ultra problems. Except for Kamila and Liza. And Anna.
I just don’t see that potential with Alina anymore. Her last season showed us that she was no longer one of the top Russian girls. She wouldn’t be in the mix today. She was getting the Olympic champion bonus points before the 3A overtook her, and then the federation no longer needed to back and push her. We’ve seen it all happen before, and it’s happening now.

Kamila is without a doubt going to be the Olympic champion. Kamila has it all and I don’t see anyone beating her unless she can’t handle the pressure.

Maximillian

RIP TA
She is really a beautiful skater. The first time I saw the SP, I was pretty meh, but re-watching it today, I could see the subtlety in the movements and just found the whole piece really well constructed and well performed.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
To me these young athletes are like high school or college freshmen athletes who have an option to play pro ball and take it rather than work their way up the ranks. There is always a risk of injury or something that could cost them big medals at Worlds or the Olympics. Take the opportunity when you have it. They don't owe anybody any reason they should skate for 4 or 8 years if they don't want to. Carpe diem.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I just don’t see that potential with Alina anymore. Her last season showed us that she was no longer one of the top Russian girls. She wouldn’t be in the mix today. She was getting the Olympic champion bonus points before the 3A overtook her, and then the federation no longer needed to back and push her. We’ve seen it all happen before, and it’s happening now.

Kamila is without a doubt going to be the Olympic champion. Kamila has it all and I don’t see anyone beating her unless she can’t handle the pressure.
She has plenty of competition. I wouldn’t crown her Olympic champion yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information