Skate Canada 2021- All the details you want to know

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling

FYI ... note for international guests, you must use the ’arriveCan app

Proof of Vaccination Requirements for Entry

Please note that all passholders entering the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre must provide proof of full vaccination as per the order of BC’s Provincial Health Officer.

• BC residents
    • Residents of British Columbia should be prepared to show:
      • their BC Vaccination Card (digital or printed) to be scanned
      • a piece of government issued photo ID for verification
  • Out-of-province & international guests
    • From provinces with a proof of vaccination requirement, please show:
      • barcode/QR Code or the province’s required version of proof of vaccination
    • From provinces without a proof of vaccination requirement, please show:
      • Vaccination card or vaccination record
    • International guests
      • proof of vaccination via the ArriveCAN app used to enter Canada
Guests unable to produce proof of vaccination will not be permitted to enter the venue.

alexikeguchi

Woohoo, just got myself general admission tickets! My son is studying in Vancouver right now, so it's actually less expensive for me to attend Skate Canada than Skate America, plus I'll get to hang out with him. I'm already off work during that time due to a medical conference that was converted to remote a couple months ago, so I can attend the conference on central time and the competition on Pacific time. Just have to get flights now, but I think this is actually going to work!

4rkidz

Woohoo, just got myself general admission tickets! My son is studying in Vancouver right now, so it's actually less expensive for me to attend Skate Canada than Skate America, plus I'll get to hang out with him. I'm already off work during that time due to a medical conference that was converted to remote a couple months ago, so I can attend the conference on central time and the competition on Pacific time. Just have to get flights now, but I think this is actually going to work!
that's great. I'm sure there will be a few of us working virtually :)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Is this the arena with zero handrails?
If I remember correctly from the 2019 GPF, there were no handrails where I sat (row 4) till the top and I was a bit nervous. So I was being extra careful while going up/down.

Last edited:

4rkidz

so in case people were going to buy a ticket - I have an extra ticket going beside me - its the front row (which is actually row 2) section 106 row 2 seat 10 (I'm in seat 11). Discount is possible!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I’m considering going to SC. I’d be driving from the US. Does anyone know how and where to get a ********* test in Vancouver to get back into the US?

If you're from out of province, going to one of the private clinics is probably easier and faster.

kalamalka

I’m considering going to SC. I’d be driving from the US. Does anyone know how and where to get a ********* test in Vancouver to get back into the US?
My understanding is that no test is required for land entry to the US, just air - one of several areas of asymmetry. You need the test/ARRIVECAN app to get into Canada, but just the proof of vaccinaion ( which they won't ask for unless you get picked for secondary inspection) to return.

4rkidz

It seems kind of a hassle. I’ll get a test in Seattle before coming and then a day after getting there another test?
Really simple just go to any pharmacy near you up to a couple days before leaving and then put it and your vaccine proof into this app - the link is on this page or just search it in App Store

Japanfan

You can walk 10-15 mins in either direction from the venue to a bunch of places to eat.
Also don't confuse Thunderbird Stadium with Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre where the skating is.
Yes, there are a number of restaurants on one of the main roads going into UBC (12th Ave. becomes something else at some point).

For cheaper and quicker, there are a number of eateries in the Student Union building, which is also only 15 minutes away.

nlloyd

Is the Student Union Building and other academic buildings open to the public now? They were closed during much of the YKW.
Yes, they are open now, but I don't know how late the restaurants in the Nest (Student Union) stay open and whether they are open on weekends. There are also a number of new restaurants along University Boulevard. For a comprehensive list of different food courts/restaurants see here. You will need to check how close any given restaurant is to the arena.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I just read that Canada has yet to approve the visas of Kamila Valieva, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and Alyona Kostornaia. They might not be skating there, so Alysa and Wakaba can fight for the gold now. Go Canada.

alexikeguchi

So my schedule will be pretty tight during my stay in Vancouver since I'll be streaming my conference until about 1:30 Pacific, going straight to the arena, and then grabbing late dinner with my son whose apartment is on Granville. However, I'd love to meet up with any FSU'ers attending during re-icing breaks. Please let me know if there are any plans afoot. Thanks!

4rkidz

Where are the skaters staying?
same as last competition the Sheraton downtown. They have lifted the block now so I think rooms available again last I looked. I’m staying at the Holiday inn for skating as simpler with transport but then moving to hotel overlooking water so I can play tourist for a couple of days. I learned my lesson in Barcelona of the annoyance of staying at the host hotel, unless I’m helping out.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I just read a blurb in Russia media that Kamila is happy to compete but is concerned that she has fewer days to acclimate to the skating conditions. At least she's going... I was getting worried, because this was a Canada government thing and wouldn't (and shouldn't if we want to be fair) take priority over major, serious, life/death, citizenship, etc issues of other Canadians. Or maybe Putin picked up his phone and made a call... hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information