Which Non-Russian Lady has the best chance of stopping a Russian Ladies Sweep in the 2022 Olympics?

Which Non-Russian lady has the best chance of stopping a Russian ladies sweep in the 2022 Olympics?

• Alysa Liu

Votes: 45 31.5%
  • Rika Kihira

Votes: 34 23.8%
  • Kaori Sakamoto

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • Bradie Tennell

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Karen Chen

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • A Korean lady

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 20 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DreamSkates

I don't see Trusova withstanding the pressure either. I think she has enough TES to make the Olympic team but she won't hit both programs. Same goes for Valieva. At this point, I really think the Russian Olympic women's team will be the same ones who were on their 2021 Worlds team.

But, I also think Shcherbakova has a killer competitive spirit and she's going to be very hard to beat for the OGM.
Yeah, Shcherbakova has that killer competitive instinct, like Hanyu.

zigzig

Never gonna happen with the way the judging is rigged. Phantom q's and < given to skaters who are a threat to Russian ladies (see Rika at 2021 Worlds short) while obvious to the naked eye under rotations by Russian skaters are getting +3 and more GOE, insane PCS inflation, etc.

muffinplus

Never gonna happen with the way the judging is rigged. Phantom q's and < given to skaters who are a threat to Russian ladies (see Rika at 2021 Worlds short) while obvious to the naked eye under rotations by Russian skaters are getting +3 and more GOE, insane PCS inflation, etc.
Rika's qs were not phantom, they were very visible in slo mo replay

screech

The Russian ladies aren't infallible as they've proven. IMO the only thing that will stop a Russian ladies sweep is the Russian ladies themselves.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Anna or Sasha could splat -- it's not unheard of. Or Alysa could show up with more content than Liza or Alena. Lots of things could happen. I would expect at least two Russians on the podium, but it's not settled in stone that there'll be three.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Alysa Liu has zero experience competing at the senior level (with the US Nationals as the exception). Karen Chen has been to Worlds twice. Each time she finished in fourth place. That's about as close to medalling as you can get. It seems Chen seems to deliver when the pressure is at it's most high.

Kaori Sakamoto is a close-second to Worlds experience. Two trips to Worlds, finishing fifth and sixth. Seems like she delivers when the pressure is on as well. This is what's needed at any Olympics...especially when the Russian phenoms/jumping beans are up against better skaters at their own nationals compared to the much lesser talents they can snicker to one another about when at the Olympics.
:EVILLE:
I think Alysa has the mindset to compete. Fierce. I don't think we have ever seen a meltdown from her. Unlike Chen.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I think Alysa has the mindset to compete. Fierce. I don't think we have ever seen a meltdown from her. Unlike Chen.
I just love Alysa's vibe and attitude. She is so positive and is enjoying what she's doing, and it's infectious. I really respect and admire her for all her work to improve this past year. When her 'critiquers' were validly assessing her need to improve her skating skills, she didn't whine, cry, complain and cast personal aspersions at them for their constructive criticism, she just got to work on it, business as usual. She just left the outrageous uberfans to say/do all the over the top nastiness, because she had work to do and then got right to it.

PeterG

I thought Alysa skated very well at Nats this year. She was struggling with growth/technique issues, but it was far from a meltdown. Mariah Bell had what I'd consider a meltdown (if it's not her standard outing from now on).
Considering the topic of this thread, is your argument that the #4 U.S. lady will beat one or more of the top three Russian ladies at the Olympics?

PeterG

I think we may need to define meltdown. I just re-watched her performance. I did not see a meltdown. In fact the opposite. Her goal was to skate clean.....and she did that. She doubled some jumps but she stayed on her feet and gave a solid performance.

I do not see how your post argues that Liu will stop a Russian sweep at the Olympics.

AxelAnnie

Considering the topic of this thread, is your argument that the #4 U.S. lady will beat one or more of the top three Russian ladies at the Olympics?
Yep! So you think Bradie (who I love, does not have her mo-jo turned on.) Karen (who is gorgeous to watch but often gets lost out there) snd Mariah (I would not bet more than 25cents on that.

I can see Bradie on the podium. But I have a lot of trouble visioning either Karen or Mariah up there.

AxelAnnie

I just love Alysa's vibe and attitude. She is so positive and is enjoying what she's doing, and it's infectious. I really respect and admire her for all her work to improve this past year. When her 'critiquers' were validly assessing her need to improve her skating skills, she didn't whine, cry, complain and cast personal aspersions at them for their constructive criticism, she just got to work on it, business as usual. She just left the outrageous uberfans to say/do all the over the top nastiness, because she had work to do and then got right to it.
Couldn't agree more.

PeterG

Yep! So you think Bradie (who I love, does not have her mo-jo turned on.) Karen (who is gorgeous to watch but often gets lost out there) snd Mariah (I would not bet more than 25cents on that.
You forgot to finish your sentence.

AxelAnnie

I do not see how your post argues that Liu will stop a Russian sweep at the Olympics.
Oh easy, peasy. I was responding to your post re Alysa being 4th as US Nats.
I think Alysa has the strength, the jumps, the PCS, the mental attitude, and "sparkle" (that is what Shirley Temple's Mother said to her before she went out to perform) to shine above any of the Russian girls.

PeterG

Oh easy, peasy. I was responding to your post re Alysa being 4th as US Nats.
I think Alysa has the strength, the jumps, the PCS, the mental attitude, and "sparkle" (that is what Shirley Temple's Mother said to her before she went out to perform) to shine above any of the Russian girls.

An Olympic gold for Alyssa. If she can deliver, I would be quite happy with that! 👍

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
If you consider Alysa Liu "the #4 U.S. lady", then yes, to answer your question. Considering the topic of this thread, "Which Non-Russian lady has the best chance of stopping a Russian Ladies sweep in the 2022 Olympics", my argument is that Alysa has the best chance.

AxelAnnie

An Olympic gold for Alyssa. If she can deliver, I would be quite happy with that! 👍
I did not make an assertion regarding positions on that podium. Just that she could likely stop a Russian Sweep.
I the topic of this thread is:

Which Non-Russian lady has the best chance of stopping a Russian ladies sweep in the 2022 Olympics?​

I thought that was what we were talking about.

Marco

Alysa needs 3 strong 3axels and big, flowy triples and 3/3s to make a case.

I have a feeling that judges purposely hold down Kaori's scores to "just miss the podium". I wouldn't expect otherwise at the Olympics.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Headcase she may be, but she's a headcase with hardware, not :gallopin1 . 🤷‍♂️
Wakaba's 3axel is pretty awesome.... I don't think judges can ignore her, even though it seems she's been ignored for four years... She might be a skater of the 70s/80s style, with her big jumps and strong skating skills, but I think she offers just as much as Kaori. The Japanese women remain a mystery to me, in how the JSF support (and don't support) certain skaters. You'd think there are an army of girls ready with ultra jumps coming each year, but we still have Satoko (???) being heavily favored over the newbies? I think Satoko is exquisite, but... this is a sport after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information