Skate Canada 2021- All the details you want to know

Japanfan

Too late notice for me and Mr. Japanfan, unfortunately. Also, I'm having mobility difficulties due to an arthritic hip. Walking is painful, and I don't know how well I'd do with the walking required (e.g. parking lot to arena, stairs in the arena and stands - I find stairs hard), sitting in the area for several hours at a time, standing in washroom lineups. Given more notice I might have considered renting a wheelchair, but ATM, the thought horrifies me.

Last edited:

The Accordion

Anyone have any luck? It only seems to be telling me about the general sale - and I even had my Skate Canada number ready!

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Anyone have any luck? It only seems to be telling me about the general sale - and I even had my Skate Canada number ready!
you have to follow the link from your email telling you of the pre sale.

Gosh that was stressful - the first four times i was too slow or hesitant and messed up as well - the ticks on the seat were so little LOL - figured others did that too as waited for a bit and then saw tickets I wanted.. so we are Section 106 as there are no tickets on the Judges side and no tickets on the first row -so got the second row. So wish I had booked my flight last night as was cheaper - not for hotels.... but yay what an awesome lineup - first live skating since the Crud - was supposed to be at Worlds in Montreal but this will be great too.

Judy

Too late notice for me and Mr. Japanfan, unfortunately. Also, I'm having mobility difficulties due to an arthritic hip. Walking is painful, and I don't know how well I'd do with the walking required (e.g. parking lot to arena, stairs in the arena and stands - I find stairs hard), sitting in the area for several hours at a time, standing in washroom lineups. Given more notice I might have considered renting a wheelchair, but ATM, the thought horrifies me.
I know that heat - like a heating pad - helps with arthritis. At least at home.

shutterbug

you have to follow the link from your email telling you of the pre sale.

Gosh that was stressful - the first four times i was too slow or hesitant and messed up as well - the ticks on the seat were so little LOL - figured others did that too as waited for a bit and then saw tickets I wanted.. so we are Section 106 as there are no tickets on the Judges side and no tickets on the first row -so got the second row. So wish I had booked my flight last night as was cheaper - not for hotels.... but yay what an awesome lineup - first live skating since the Crud - was supposed to be at Worlds in Montreal but this will be great too.
I'm so amped up on caffeine that I think I'm vibrating. :lol: Turned out to be a pretty easy process, was able to get tickets in Section 103 row 4. I hadn't yet cancelled my reservation at the West Coast Suites on campus, so the hotel was taken care of, and booked an Air Miles flight there and back for a very reasonable number of miles. Kind of in shock that it all came together so easily in the end. Hopefully all will go well at the arena with acceptance of the out of province proof of vaccination. 🤞

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
There were no taxis after GPF. Buses were packed, I think we wait through 3 full buses before we were allowed to crowd on one.
You could call taxis to come to pick you up. We did that at least a couple of times.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!

kalamalka

It was NOT an easy process for the WC seats. Website kept telling me the seats that were clearly available were not. Tried all three wheelchair sections multiple times. Tried the accessible phone line. About 3/4 of an hour on the phone - initially the agent couldn't find any info on the event, then told me that he was unable to book on the pre-sale, and I could call again tomorrow, but he would still probably not be able to book on the phone. Eventually I got an on-line booking to go through (no idea what made the difference) - section 110, same as the last 2 events.

Live skating :cheer2:
:cheer2:

kalamalka

If anyone sees any info on Ticketmaster or elsewhere about whether seating will be restricted - like rows of seats or individual seats closed off for social distancing - please post that info here, as it might influence some people's decisions on whether to attend.
It looked as if they were just selling alternate rows, but all the seats within the open rows.

muffinplus

Hopefully Kostornaia and Valieva Can land their 3 axels in the short… funny this is the same Russian ladies field as Finlandia which I went to… only Tuktamysheva landed hers in the short and I ended up missing her short program lol.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Hopefully Kostornaia and Valieva Can land their 3 axels in the short… funny this is the same Russian ladies field as Finlandia which I went to… only Tuktamysheva landed hers in the short and I ended up missing her short program lol.
And Alysa! She confirmed yesterday in the Team USA media event that she is planning on going for the 3A in her SP too. :)

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Okay booked my flights and hotel - decided on the Holiday Inn Broadway near the hospital that people at the GPF said was really good and this way not a crazy price if I rent a car for parking - the host hotel the parking was almost $60/night! Or I might just uber/taxi.
I know, right! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

@victorskid will you be there?

Looking forward to seeing you and @Rosaleen, @kalamalka!

FSU dinner! :cheer2:
me too!

kalamalka

An explanation for the late announcement of ticket sales: BC has just announced that capacity limits on indoor events will be lifted as of October 25 (except for areas such as the north where there are high case levels). Mask requirements will stay in place.
Can't find any reports on line yet - the news conference is still underway.\

ETA: https://tinyurl.com/2d6j4wnp

CP NewsAlert: Indoor, outdoor COVID capacity limits to be lifted Oct. 25 in B.C.​

VICTORIA — British Columbia's top doctor says COVID-19 capacity limits for indoor and outdoor organized events will be lifted on Oct. 25, the day after the deadline for residents to be fully vaccinated if they want to attend certain venues.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says sporting events, indoor concerts, movie theatres, symphonies and other venues can go to 100 per cent capacity when proof of vaccination status is checked.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Heads-up for those planning to take the bus or drive along Broadway to UBC - there is construction from Cambie to Granville and possibly beyond (for the new rapid transit line). I was there mid-day today, and even outside of rush hour, traffic was really slow. If you're traveling in this direction, give yourself lots of extra time to get to the arena.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Skate Canada's press release for 2021 Skate Canada International (Oct. 30, 2020):
"... Vancouver, British Columbia, will host the 47th Skate Canada International. The event will take place at the arena at Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre from October 29 – 31, 2021."

Re-posting here from the 2021-22 ISU Grand Prix assignments announced thread:
I attended the GPF in that arena in 2019 (?). The arena was fine but there were no hotels within walking distance.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Broadcast Schedule

Skate Canada International Entire Event Will be Live Streamed on CBC.CA and CBC Gem

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 30
15:00 – 18:00 ET

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 31
1:30AM – 3:30AM ET
CONDENSED 2 HOUR ENCORE FOLLOWING HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA
13:00 – 16:00 LOCAL TIME

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Competition Schedule (Local Time)

Friday 29
13:00-14:05 Pairs Short
14:35-16:06 Men Short
17:00-18:18 Rhythm Dance
18:45-20:16 Women Short

Saturday 30
13:00-14:17 Pairs Free
14:47-16:36 Men Free
17:30-19:01 Free Dance
19:31-21:20 Women Free

Sunday 31
14:00-16:30 Exhibition Gala

kalamalka

Friday and Saturday are both very long days, with the longest break only 55 minutes (for the opening ceremony after men's short and the M/P medals on Sat). Not enough time to get anywhere outside for food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information