Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
She's maturing and doesn't believe in her abilities. She's really just scared. I feel for her not everyone is as fearless or reckless as Trusova. I only hope she doesn't hurt herself.
I thought Kostornaia was simply lovely.

I hope Trusova can keep her body together. She is so fearless (reckless too). There is a fine (or wide) line between pushing the envelope and getting injured.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
This is cool. And it's only a test skate!

Alena Kostornaia's fans reaction to Triple Axel​

LOL, this is a joke. There was actually a football (soccer) game in place of her skate and it's often used in memes for anything exciting/big moments.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I thought Kostornaia was simply lovely.

I hope Trusova can keep her body together. She is so fearless (reckless too). There is a fine (or wide) line between pushing the envelope and getting injured.
Athletes take that risk all the time. Trusova is no exception, but she is fearless even for an athlete.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I think it will be interesting to see if Sasha attempts all 5 quads this weekend and at SKAM. It was clear when the Channel 1 production team wanted her to skate last (a switch from the original lineup) that she was going to go big for TV. The skaters all wore costumes instead of the usual practice clothes because the TV producers demanded it. Many were not wearing what they might compete in later. And, it sent a clear message to all her rivals for the OG spots that she could do all five. Even though they practice together, they don't always do full run throughs. I think she will, but she was a little vague with Trankov when he asked. Eteri will likely be with her in the US because Diana is skating in the event as well. One thing about Tutberidze is she has a plan and expects the skaters to stick to the plan. And, since her plans have a history of success, they usually do.

Cherub721

YEAH!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I think it will be interesting to see if Sasha attempts all 5 quads this weekend and at SKAM. It was clear when the Channel 1 production team wanted her to skate last (a switch from the original lineup) that she was going to go big for TV. The skaters all wore costumes instead of the usual practice clothes because the TV producers demanded it. Many were not wearing what they might compete in later. And, it sent a clear message to all her rivals for the OG spots that she could do all five. Even though they practice together, they don't always do full run throughs. I think she will, but she was a little vague with Trankov when he asked. Eteri will likely be with her in the US because Diana is skating in the event as well. One thing about Tutberidze is she has a plan and expects the skaters to stick to the plan. And, since her plans have a history of success, they usually do.
Morisi Kvitelasvili is also coming. Another Team Eteri skater. Peacock will be able to use EteriCam (TM) in every event (Women, Men & Dance), if they so chose.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Athletes take that risk all the time. Trusova is no exception, but she is fearless even for an athlete.
Yes, they do. We all do. My own example :) We all drive down the street to the market.....bright, sunny day, low risk
Same trip to the market - raining - not too bad. We can handle rain.
To the market again: Pouring - you can barely see 4 feet in front of your car.........oops risk went up.
Blizzard - stay home.

Most athletes take what they consider to be a calculated risk.:
What is a calculated risk example?
Calculated – The chance of success is higher than the chances of failing, as you have carried out the appropriate amount of research.
What is the difference between risk and calculated risk? risks are not created equal. There are big differences between foolish risks and calculated risks. ... On the other hand, a calculated risk involves a fair amount of research. practice. The results won't always be positive, but you've done enough legwork to know that the chances of success are higher than the chances of failure

**************************************************************************************
A couple of skaters who have done a great job of risk assessment. Michelle and her coach had a rule that they would not put an element in her program until it was 80% successful.

Nathan Chen....he seems to do a great job of knowing his body, and doing what he is confident he will land.

Back to Trusova. She has, what, 4 quads in her lp? Granted each body is different, and will respond differently to repetitive motion. Each body needs a different amount of time to recover after practice and/or competitions.

Trusova had a horrible year last year....different coach.....ok we can assign cause and effect there.

I would imagine there is an algorithm that could be applied. The risk of injury has got to be greater for a person attempting 4 quads than one. Now, she could simply have discovered the formula that works for her, and that would be fun to watch. She is definitely a fire cracker. She reminds me (in mindset) of Tara Lipinski.

Marco

Always late to the party - just now watching the Test Skates short programs:

Maiia - Not as gangly and awkward as last season, and actually doing a fine job interpreting the music. Love the held out ina bauer into 3lutz.

Liza Nugu - A vision on ice, thoroughly enjoyable. Would love more choreography at the beginning. Alas not going to be a threat for the Olympics.

Daria - Most beautiful skating. I wonder if she has 3axel or above? If not she can't possibly contend for an Olympic spot.

Sofia - If the jumps are problematic even under Mishin, they are not really fixable elsewhere. I like that she is into the program and sells it hard.

Kseniia - Delicate, small skating. Pleasant to watch but again, not going to contend.

Anna - I wonder how her ankles can hold up with the way she picks on the flip. Looks painful just to watch. I understand transitions out = points, but for me the overly complicated transitions out of the 2axel and 3flip did a disservice and actually ruined the moment she was trying to create. The program was alright but her expression was rather bland (compared to say Daria or even Sofia)

Alena - I don't hate the program and feel she carried it just fine with the kind of command that she has. I wish she would do ethereal (again) but if not, this one is fine.

Sasha - On fire. She skates like she has something to prove. I like.

Liza T - Same old. But the skating skills is visibly lacking compared to the perfect skaters like Daria and Alena and the firey skaters like Sasha.

Kamila - The way she lands the jumps is heavenly, and is a much better strategy than Anna with those transitions. If I had to pick a bone, it is that I feel she is somewhat boring to watch. Yes, everything is picture perfect, but everything is like going through motions.

Primorskaya

So now we've seen the programmes, which do we think are Olympic-winning/medalling LPs? Since the magic of the moment is always such a big part of who wins/medals on the night, putting aside the technical aspects, what strikes you as a gold/silver/bronze programme?
(Bearing in mind that this is the very beginning of the season and that programmes and costumes and edits will probably be tinkered with ad infinitum, and that we don't know which three will actually be picked...)

I feel that Anna's LP doesn't quite have "it", even though I do like it for her. No build-up or big soaring moment, and ending with Lacrymosa will make people feel like they're in a church not an arena. Some skaters could bring a crowd to ecstasy with such music but Anna, I'm not sure.
Aliona's music is one I like but that I think she doesn't, and for someone who can add points to her score with performance alone that's a big problem. It's lifeless just now.
Liza: the whole piece is built to a climax and made to carry a crowd along with her. If she hits all her jumps, it'll go down a storm.
Sasha: I think I've made my opinion abundantly clear several times in the KnC thread ;) The perfect packaging for her. Should have people pogoing in the aisles if she's on.
Kamila. I know a lot of people think she's got it all and yet somehow for me it amounts to less than the sum of its parts. I'm bored and I can't pretend I'm not. When the jumps fails it's even more obvious. Her age has always been seen as an asset, because Eteri technique and all that, but I think it's a hindrance. She's not a natural performer and hasn't had time to find a style or learn to skate to the crowd. This Bolero is endless.
Maiia: she has more presence now and is being consistent. She's in with a chance in case of injuries of other contenders but there's nothing that stands out or excites about her programmes.

bladesofgorey

Finally got a chance to watch Trusova's FS and yeah the beginning was kind of empty except for the (amazing) quads but when the Iggy Pop hit it was THRILLING. Perfect for her, really. The spins in the last third need to be faster to really make it work but this imo is a genius music choice for her, especially if she hits most of the quads in the first portion.

alexikeguchi

My take on the programs is that Sasha's are the only ones I have watched again (and again) since the live performances. I liked Liza's programs, but she needs to avoid the early mistakes in her free skate to make her performance really enjoyable. Maiia is coming along nicely but again, I wouldn't re-watch those programs over and over.

I just can't rave enough about Sasha though. I honestly get goosebumps and tears in my eyes just in awe of her greatness. I love that she never backed down, stopped going for content that pretty much everyone thought impossible, or consented to becoming a cookie cutter skater. Team Tutberidze music choices and choreography bring in the medal haul despite being unpleasing in many cases, but I'm so relieved that they are just letting Sasha be Sasha. She's not unmusical as her Kill Bill junior SP and Unstoppable exhibition show; she just needs music that speaks to her. It seems like the crowd absolutely appreciated the choice too, so I'm not worried about the response to punk rock in an Olympic program. Surya Bonaly couldn't get any respect with her athletic approach, but Sasha just won't be denied.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
My take on the programs is that Sasha's are the only ones I have watched again (and again) since the live performances. I liked Liza's programs, but she needs to avoid the early mistakes in her free skate to make her performance really enjoyable. Maiia is coming along nicely but again, I wouldn't re-watch those programs over and over.

I just can't rave enough about Sasha though. I honestly get goosebumps and tears in my eyes just in awe of her greatness. I love that she never backed down, stopped going for content that pretty much everyone thought impossible, or consented to becoming a cookie cutter skater. Team Tutberidze music choices and choreography bring in the medal haul despite being unpleasing in many cases, but I'm so relieved that they are just letting Sasha be Sasha. She's not unmusical as her Kill Bill junior SP and Unstoppable exhibition show; she just needs music that speaks to her. It seems like the crowd absolutely appreciated the choice too, so I'm not worried about the response to punk rock in an Olympic program. Surya Bonaly couldn't get any respect with her athletic approach, but Sasha just won't be denied.
I just watched her again, and the muscle definition on that young woman is amazing. She is so physically fit, but she'd have to be to do what she does. Woof, woof, the Red Rocket.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
Trusova as a metal head is exactly what this sport needs to shake things up. Enough with the emo female ballads, skating war horses, bad classical edits and cutesy emoting - shred some quads to a wailing guitar and we're good. :kickass:

THIS!!!

And to the people who are :argue: about whether Trusova or Nathan Chen have better choreography, spins, jump stalking, etc..... What a HIGH complement to Trusova!!!! :kickass: :respec: :p

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I think it will be Trusova, Tuktamysheva and Valieva for Beijing. And I am fine with it.

Is anybody else bothered by the lack of Anna Shcherbakova's toe point by now? I've always loved her and her awesome programs, but as soon as I noticed that she went to Yuka Kawaguti's school of toe point, I can't unsee it. And it bothers me. A LOT.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I think it will be Trusova, Tuktamysheva and Valieva for Beijing. And I am fine with it.

Is anybody else bothered by the lack of Anna Shcherbakova's toe point by now? I've always loved her and her awesome programs, but as soon as I noticed that she went to Yuka Kawaguti's school of toe point, I can't unsee it. And it bothers me. A LOT.
Oh, I notice it. I took ballet most of my childhood and throughout my life and it is like nails on a chalkboard to me. However she has improved on it, and I noticed that at test skates. The problem now is she just reaches an almost neutral turnout so I still notice it's not perfect. But it has improved, if only slightly. If it wasn't so bad before, maybe I wouldn't zone in on it still.

ETA: I can't recall off the top of my head, but does Anna ever do a spread eagle or Ina Bauer? Or any moves that requires excellent turnout?

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

I am! I am! Uncle Dick is talking in my ear every time. It is surprising to me that Scherbakova is such a polished skater, and yet she leaves that foot hanging out there.

Tobbe

I dont Care at all if Anna points her toes or not. I respect that she lands her jumps when it counts (most of the time). FS Is a sport, not a ballet competition. :)
I don't bother about her toes either, but understand that some people do.
To me it's not that important, Yuna Kim never pointed her toes either...

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I don't bother about her toes either, but understand that some people do.
To me it's not that important, Yuna Kim never pointed her toes either...
I even knew someone (not here, I think) who was bothered by Venus Williams' Posture while she was winning tennis matches! It takes all kinds.

alexikeguchi

I just watched her again, and the muscle definition on that young woman is amazing. She is so physically fit, but she'd have to be to do what she does. Woof, woof, the Red Rocket.

She has the body of an athlete rather than a ballet dancer. I bet she'd be an amazing hurdler, tennis player, triathlete, or top of pretty much any other sport she tried. She just happened to end up in skating, and we're lucky to witness her amazing skill.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
My early predictions which mean absolutely nothing: Anna, Kamilla and Sasha go to the Olympics. Kamilla would have gone to Worlds last season except she was too young. That means Tuk, Aliona and Maiia stay home. I will be so, so sorry for Liza, but the numbers are simply not in her favor and there's nothing she can do to make them better except hope one of the three have a total meltdown at Nationals. I'm going to be :wuzrobbed for 3 skaters. If someone has a melt down, for the three left behind. It sucks that there will be far lesser skaters who go, but that's the way it is. Now, as for who medals? Who knows. It could be a Russian sweep. It could be 2/3. It could be 1/3 (I don't think so, but ice is slippery). So, of the three who go, at least one will be very happy and two won't. I'll be :wuzrobbed again. I like the top 6 and Russian nationals, once again, is going to be brutal. And, even though the test skates wasn't an ISU competition, it most certainly was to these 6 women. The race to Beijing has begun.
My early prediction are: Sasha, Kamilla and Maiia, in no particular order. my major dark horse is Maiia especially if she gets her triple axel into the short as her quad in the long just floats. I think she is also more artistic. Also less stress as she is under the radar.

AxelAnnie

I dont Care at all if Anna points her toes or not. I respect that she lands her jumps when it counts (most of the time). FS is a sport, not a ballet competition. :)
You do not have to care....but the judges care.

Figure skating is, as we all know, a judged sport. Not just what you do but how you do it.

We all have our own preferences. I would much rather see Sasha Cohen falls and all..just to watch the glorious positions of hers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information