Canada officially announces bid for 2024 World Championships

Jammers

The way it's going the US isn't going to get another Worlds until 2030. 😠 Is the USFS even trying to land Worlds?

Debbie S

I thought they were planning to bid for 2024 or 2025 and that Detroit would be the bid city.
I think it was posted here (or maybe it was a Phil Hersh story?) back in normal times that Las Vegas would be the host city and it would be 2024. So maybe now it will be Vegas in 2025. Or 2026?

chewy

I looked back at Skate Canada's financials from last year, it did show their worlds account about a million bucks in the hole. Not everything would have been accounted by last year's year-end, all the (non) ticket revenue and commercial sponsorship money comes after the fact but they need some money making events soon. If they don't get that 2024 worlds I would be shocked. Shocked! :D

Colonel Green

Candidates for 2024 ISU championships have been announced.

Aside from Montreal 🇨🇦 , Sofia 🇧🇬, Prague 🇨🇿, Budapest 🇭🇺, Bratislava 🇸🇰 and San Jose 🇺🇸 have also th
Interesting that the heavily-rumoured Detroit bid didn’t happen; or maybe the USFS is deferring that to the following year and San Jose is just a token?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Taipei once again the only bidder for 2024 Four Continents, it seems ... Le sigh.

ETA: I'd really like to see 4CCs in North America more often.

:drama:

San Jose wuzrobbed of Nationals this year! :wuzrobbed

Besides, San Jose is a lot more pleasant than Detroit especially in March.
Why can't we get a double of 4CCs in San Jose in February and Worlds in Montreal in March?

mattiecat13

Colorado Springs and Las Vegas bid on 2023 Four Continents but it was awarded to Sydney, Australia, due to 2021 4CC there being cancelled. I wonder why CS or LV didn't try to get 2024 instead?

AnnM

:drama:

San Jose wuzrobbed of Nationals this year! :wuzrobbed

Besides, San Jose is a lot more pleasant than Detroit especially in March.

I find San Jose an interesting choice because i just received an email from SAP Center this week, asking to support their opposition to a huge, multi-year Google development project. Their grounds for opposition are that the project would severely limit access to SAP Center, create gridlock, loss of parking, have a deterrent effect on event sales, etc.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Interesting that the heavily-rumoured Detroit bid didn’t happen; or maybe the USFS is deferring that to the following year and San Jose is just a token?
Was Detroit heavily rumoured? The only mention I saw was from a poster up thread.

It’s definitely between Montreal and San Jose this time as Europe has had Worlds in Stockholm this year and it’s in Montpellier next year with Japan the year after.

Debbie S

Was Detroit heavily rumoured? The only mention I saw was from a poster up thread.
During 2019 (U.S.) Nats, an article in the Detroit paper said they would bid for 2023 Worlds. And then some months afterward (maybe it was after 2019 SA?), Phil Hersh wrote that USFS would bid for 2024 Worlds with Vegas as the host city.

I guess if USFS is bidding for 2024 Worlds, they won't bid for 4CC. It would be nice for 4CC to be in N.A. more often, at least once per quad.

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
I can't remember if the ISU has a habit of awarding more than one year of Worlds at a time. If it's a possibility, I wouldn't be surprised if Montreal gets 2024 and San Jose gets 2025. And that would give SJ two years between Nats and Worlds, like Boston had.

zigzig

Fingers crossed for Montreal - so bummed Montreal got canceled in 2020. If the corona $hitstorm just happened a week later we would have been in for such an EPIC comp. Oh well.

Aaron MB Fan

Don't think I saw this posted elsewhere, but Skate Canada announced they won their bid to host the 2023 World Junior Figure Skating Championships in Calgary, AB.

Colonel Green

Don't think I saw this posted elsewhere, but Skate Canada announced they won their bid to host the 2023 World Junior Figure Skating Championships in Calgary, AB.

That was confirmed by the ISU months ago, so I was a bit confused why they were acting like that’s new information.

Sylvia

TBD
That was confirmed by the ISU months ago, so I was a bit confused why they were acting like that’s new information.
I forgot that the ISU made the announcement in October 2020: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...n-provisional-allotments.107553/#post-5878145

Kaiya Ruiter, who's currently based in Calgary, will be almost 17 in March 2023.

I assume federatiions often wait to finalize certain plans/contracts, etc. before making their own announcements?

ETA that, for example, the Finnish federation announced the venue for 2023 Europeans 5 months after the initial ISU allotment: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...isional-allotments.107553/page-3#post-5967232

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information