Canada officially announces bid for 2024 World Championships

clairecloutier

I would think it's pretty likely, or even close to certain, that Montreal will get it.

I suppose that the potential USFS bid, originally rumored for 2023 and then 2024, might now get pushed out to 2025. Which would be almost a 10-year gap from the last U.S. Worlds. It would be fun, though, to have the next Olympic-qualifying Worlds here. :D

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
If Piper and Paul will be competing there, that would be extra cool too!

although they may need a rest by then

Colonel Green

It appears that there have been back-to-back World Championships in North America only once during the entire history of the event, in 1959 and 1960. I assume that's the product of an underlying policy rather than a coincidence, but I could be wrong--and of course this is an unusual situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Figure_Skating_Championships
I’d say the unofficial policy around the awarding of Worlds in the modern era is:

1) Don’t host it on the same continent consecutively.
2) Don’t host it on the same continent as the Olympics, in an Olympic year.
3) If the first two rules are in conflict, (2) supersedes (1).
4) If a cancellation has a knock-on effect on the schedule, you may disregard (1).

In the case of (4), that’s how we ended up with back-to-back Asian Worlds in 2014-15 after Japan got a makeup Worlds for its lost 2011 event but they still awarded China the 2015 one.

clairecloutier

I’d say the unofficial policy around the awarding of Worlds in the modern era is:

1) Don’t host it on the same continent consecutively.

Rule 1) doesn't seem to apply any more. Saitama 2014/Shanghai 2015 was followed by Helsinki 2017/Milan 2018, and now we will have Stockholm 2021/Montpellier 2022. :saint:

I'd say we are overdue for a North American back-to-back.

clairecloutier

See rules 2-4.

So Pyeongchang necessitated the choice of Milan, and Beijing, Montpellier?? .... Admittedly, I don't remember who else bid for 2018/2022 Worlds.

As of next year, it'll be 4 Euros Worlds out of the last 5 Worlds held. From 2000-2023, it's 11 Euros Worlds, 6 Asia Worlds, 6 North American Worlds, just by a quick count. (Not counting Montreal in these.)

Colonel Green

So Pyeongchang necessitated the choice of Milan, and Beijing, Montpellier?? .... Admittedly, I don't remember who else bid for 2018/2022 Worlds.

As of next year, it'll be 4 Euros Worlds out of the last 5 Worlds held. From 2000-2023, it's 11 Euros Worlds, 6 Asia Worlds, 6 North American Worlds, just by a quick count. (Not counting Montreal in these.)
The additional thing regarding the continental rotation is that both North America and Asia don’t have a ton of skating countries — though in the latter case, Japan wants to host once per quad, so that alone mostly makes it work.

A big part of the reason I suggested the US might defer until 2026 (rather than 2025) was that customarily 2026 Worlds shouldn’t be in Europe.

Vagabond

The additional thing regarding the continental rotation is that both North America and Asia don’t have a ton of skating countries — though in the latter case, Japan wants to host once per quad, so that alone mostly makes it work.

A big part of the reason I suggested the US might defer until 2026 (rather than 2025) was that customarily 2026 Worlds shouldn’t be in Europe.
I think that the ISU would want to give the U.S. the World Championships the season before, rather than the season after, the Olympics, given that it will have been ten years since the U.S. last hosted the event and that there have been unusual events in the interim.

And maybe, given the ISU's history with Australia, it might let that country host the event as soon as possible thereafter. :saint:

livetoskate

I'd love to go to worlds in Montreal! It was such a disappointment not to go there last year. Plus it's in the same time zone as where I live.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
What are the future locations of worlds?
Saitama Japan? 2023
I guess France is hosting the2022 championships.

Last edited:

nickp

Montreal 2024 Las Vegas 2025 Nice to see Montreal being awarded with a future tournament after the 2020 Worlds (which the city was supposed to host) got cancelled

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Montreal 2024 Las Vegas 2025 Nice to see Montreal being awarded with a future tournament after the 2020 Worlds (which the city was supposed to host) got cancelled
Montreal hasn't been awarded anything yet. The decision will be down to the ISU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information