Montreal Wins Skate Canada's Bid for 2020 Worlds

DFO

The Centre Bell is 5-10 minutes walking distance from the Metro Lucien-L'allier or Bonaventure. It's also real close to Ste-Catherine street wich is the commercial street of Montréal with plenty of restaurants and Hotels. The subway proximities could let you choose hotels far from the rink (cheaper) as long as they are close to a métro. Then you will avoid traffic jams and parking fees. BTW, Montréal métro are clean, safe and affordable.

Here is a map of the Centre Bell access:
http://www.centrebell.ca/fr/page/directions_parking

quartz

scratching at the light
I'm going to open a new savings account - I figure if I put aside $75 a month from now till then I can afford it ! :)
I'm old school and still make most of my smaller purchases with cash. Even if I am buying a $1 drink, I will use a $5 bill and the change goes into my fun fund. I currently have about $400 stashed away, so that's a good start, cuz Worlds in Montreal certainly sounds like a worthy use for my fun fund! :rollin:

manhn

Is there perhaps a new subway extension to and from the airport or is it still just the shuttle?

:cheer2: Very exciting that its going to be in the Bell Centre. Maybe the sold out Boston worlds swayed the decision to put it in a large venue. You know that folks from eastern Canada and Northeast US will be there in large numbers.

Some of us from Western Canada might make the trip too ;) It's a long ways away but it could work. I'll start saving my westjet dollars.

chewy

no official press release yet?
I would have thought it would have been mentioned at the Skate Canada Annual meeting yesterday. I suspect that Patinage Quebec has "leaked" the announcement and that the official announcement will come when they have firm dates in place, with press conference. The Canadiens have to go on a road trip late in the season. wah wah, cue the hockey press. Quebec announcing a sporting event before Canada does not come as a surprise. At all. It will be a Quebec event. Congratulations to Benoit Lavioe who I assume politiked tremendously within the ISU for the event.

FYI Montreal in March can be absolutely shyte weather but you can avoid ever going outside as everything is underground tunnels connected with Metro. FYI the drinking age is 18. Curious as to practice venue.

ChiquitaBanana

Quebec announcing a sporting event before Canada does not come as a surprise. At all. It will be a Quebec event. Congratulations to Benoit Lavioe who I assume politiked tremendously within the ISU for the event.

:rolleyes::blah::wall: Sour grapes!

chewy

:rolleyes::blah::wall: Sour grapes!
no, seriously! I've never seen another provincial org announce something before the national fed does. Whether unintentional or not, Quebec does operate as its own country. Cue two solitudes, mon pays c'est l'hiver and all that but I would have expected an excited tweet out of the Skate Canada AGM yesterday.

sap5

The Canadiens have to go on a road trip late in the season. wah wah, cue the hockey press.

Does this mean skating is making a comeback in N. America? To kick the Habs out for a whole week has to be a big deal, right? And the same happened at Boston worlds and all was fine.

ChiquitaBanana

no, seriously! I've never seen another provincial org announce something before the national fed does. Whether unintentional or not, Quebec does operate as its own country. Cue two solitudes, mon pays c'est l'hiver and all that but I would have expected an excited tweet out of the Skate Canada AGM yesterday.

You then imply that everybody in the province of Quebec thinks the same, acts the same, all the time! Generalization... prejudiced... Shame!

mocha-ice

The Centre Bell is 5-10 minutes walking distance from the Metro Lucien-L'allier or Bonaventure.

It's actually connected to both of those metro stations... Lucien L'Allier is closer and is maybe a 2 minute walk (indoors) to the arena (although it's one of the deepest metro stations so it takes a few minutes to get up the three escalators!).

Is there perhaps a new subway extension to and from the airport or is it still just the shuttle?
They are supposed to building a high speed train from the airport (in Dorval) to downtown (among other places) which is scheduled to open in 2020 but I wouldn't hold my breath. There is a regular bus (the 747) which runs from the airport to downtown with various stops in the downtown core.

chewy

You then imply that everybody in the province of Quebec thinks the same, acts the same, all the time! Generalization... prejudiced... Shame!
Read french media. Anytime there's an international event in any sport. It is Quebec athletes, not Canadian athletes. Possibly because Quebec pours a fortune into athletic development and has a right to boast. As they did with their announcement.

barbarafan

:watch:

When Skate Canada put it in a bid it was pretty much a foregone conclusion so this is not earth shattering news.

Might have to make the trip to see how the rude Kanadians do things. :D
Great idea.....only the white supremacists are rude unless you count dragging you to our houses and feeding you until you throw up as rude...Hint..Pace yourself.

chewy

Auditorium de Verdun was listed in the bid package as the practice rink. Checked on Google and it's about five miles from the Bell Centre.

It is undergoing a massive reno to be ready in 2018. Which is great. It was old. It should be open for watching practices as there's lots of seats.

It's a short walk from the metro. Bell Centre is also on Metro. This is SO much better than Laval.

Last edited:

Seerek

There is a regular bus (the 747) which runs from the airport to downtown with various stops in the downtown core.

I believe one of the stops on the 747 is right at Centre Sheraton on Rene Levesque. From there, it's only a 5 min walk to the arena.

barbarafan

Read french media. Anytime there's an international event in any sport. It is Quebec athletes, not Canadian athletes. Possibly because Quebec pours a fortune into athletic development and has a right to boast. As they did with their announcement.
Call it what you will but any sport event that is a big success helps local businesses and all sports especially figure skating...One of the wonderful things about mtl is our diversity and all the diff. people who arrive from other countries bring their passion with them. I am english and when hockey practices are at 6:00am the english mostly think car pool while the french will mostly bring the whole family to watch and support their child...Would never want to change that. I am hoping everyone enjoys the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information