Eric Radford and Vanessa James to compete in pairs together for Canada

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Way back in the day, Katia Gordeeva skated while pregnant with Daria. More recently, Marie-France Dubreil skated while pregnant with Billie-Rose and Tatiana V. in shows when she was pregnant with Angelika and earlier in her current pregnancy (on a show and not even with Max).

The girls seemed to be alright 28, 10, and 4 years out.

Tatiana has talked about skating while pregnant in several Instagram posts recently and a Russian interview.

Last edited:

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
If you haven't seen it, I'm afraid it's because you haven't been looking in the right places. There are all too many posters on Twitter and reddit communities who take every mention of Kevin and Mae's names as an opportunity to declare their hatred for them on the grounds that they have not - 'denounced', I believe is the favoured word these days - Cipres, Zimmerman and Fontana. Some are even willing to tear down Mae's anti-racism work by asserting that she only does it to make herself look good so people will 'give her a pass' on having any association with them (I'm sure you can understand why Mae gets so much more vitriol than Kevin...)..
Woaw :eek: I haven't looked in the right places indeed!!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I think and Eric and Vanessa pairing has the potential to achieve more than what Eric and Megan achieved. They just don't have time on their side.
Agreed.

James is 33 and Radford is 36. The mind might be willing, but when you're sometimes competing against skaters half your age, maintaining a similar level of skill on a day to day basis is very taxing on the body.

MsZem

I see the sea
Way back in the day, Katia Gordeeva skated while pregnant with Daria. More recently, Marie-France Dubreil skated while pregnant with Billie-Rose and Tatiana V. in shows when she was pregnant with Angelika and earlier in her current pregnancy (on a show and not even with Max).

The girls seemed to be alright 28, 10, and 4 years out.
Other skaters, too - I'm pretty sure Delobel trained during her pregnancy in 2019, and Nathalie Pechalat was probably pregnant (though not very far along) during the 2015 French team tour.

Sarah

I’ve debated posting anything but I might as well jump into this mess like everyone else...

if what Duhamel says is some version of the truth, I do think Radford owed her a more honest conversation. He didn’t owe her an offer to come back, just this is what I’m planning because I want it, early in the processes. They were together long enough that it is common courtesy. Others may feel differently...

What bothered me was Eric’s statement. Just say that you want the partnership. Don’t blame others for motherhood or moving or potential for more children... those are excuses. You don’t need excuses. You want to skate with Vanessa so say so. He came off worse than if he just said that this is what he wanted. Leave out all the other stuff.

As for Duhamel, I know people didn’t like her saying her part but why not? If she said no comment, everyone would know she was unhappy—she has opinions on everything, same if she stayed silent. If she made some super PR the world is perfect fake statement, wouldn’t everyone know it was BS? Every time people give scripted statements, people say they want to know what they really think, but if they tell the truth... I guess a no comment would have been preferred and then people could speculate what her real reaction was...

becca

I’ve debated posting anything but I might as well jump into this mess like everyone else...

if what Duhamel says is some version of the truth, I do think Radford owed her a more honest conversation. He didn’t owe her an offer to come back, just this is what I’m planning because I want it, early in the processes. They were together long enough that it is common courtesy. Others may feel differently...

What bothered me was Eric’s statement. Just say that you want the partnership. Don’t blame others for motherhood or moving or potential for more children... those are excuses. You don’t need excuses. You want to skate with Vanessa so say so. He came off worse than if he just said that this is what he wanted. Leave out all the other stuff.

As for Duhamel, I know people didn’t like her saying her part but why not? If she said no comment, everyone would know she was unhappy—she has opinions on everything, same if she stayed silent. If she made some super PR the world is perfect fake statement, wouldn’t everyone know it was BS? Every time people give scripted statements, people say they want to know what they really think, but if they tell the truth... I guess a no comment would have been preferred and then people could speculate what her real reaction was...
Parnerships end all the time. And they hadn’t skated awhile together and she had moved not sure anyone would have thought anything.

flyingsit

Parnerships end all the time. And they hadn’t skated awhile together and she had moved not sure anyone would have thought anything.
As has been written numerous times, but apparently hasn’t sunk in to people, they had plans to tour together later THIS YEAR. And had planned to tour in Japan this month until it was canceled only two months ago, by which time he was already pursuing the sec partnership, without telling Meagan.

Sylvia

TBD
Off-topic PSA: Vanessa James taped a solo piece while in Canada that On Ice Perspectives' Jordan Cowan has edited with Starr Andrews' program that he recently filmed at Sky Rink in NYC and their joint performance will debut tonight:
Here's Vanessa's joint solo performance with Starr: https://www.instagram.com/tv/COBxmMOnAm2/

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
It’s amazing how much people want to convince themselves that Meagan had basically moved on from their partnership and there was really nothing else Eric could do because they had to miss one tour (which could easily happen if your partner has an injury). Despite the fact that they were scheduled to skate together in Japan on SOI and were planning on CSOI if it happens. They were literally scheduled for all the opportunities that conceivably were available to them. How is that Meagan “moving on.”

Eric has the right to make his own choices even if Meagan hadn’t moved on, but let’s not make up a provably untrue excuse for him.

Last edited:

becca

As has been written numerous times, but apparently hasn’t sunk in to people, they had plans to tour together later THIS YEAR. And had planned to tour in Japan this month until it was canceled only two months ago, by which time he was already pursuing the sec partnership, without telling Meagan.
I didn’t say that what I meant is that is probably what most others would think. Since they have not been skating together for awhile. I am not excusing Eric but I am saying there was no need for Meghan to make a public drama

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
TBH I haven't seen a single supportive post for Eric and Vanessa - aside from the Asher Hill one linked upthread. Ashley Wagner was originally positive on Insta, but then changed her mind after a flood of DMs.
You must follow some different people, most of my Twitter feed is very positive for the new pairing. But I don’t follow the nut bars with one exception TSL and I try not to read their fan comments as many are quite deranged.
I do work with victims and it’s quite normal to hate someone’s behaviour without hating the person fyi.

Well you can really tell it’s off season lol...

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
She chose to keep skating with him after the dick pic incident(s),

Yes, she did. If she had stopped, packed and left, the whole world would have been aware something very bad had happened. I bet that's something the rink and Gailhaguet's FFSG probably could not let happen. I find it a bit difficult to believe that all the people here who say she is a bad person because she said nothing or willingly covered child abuse would have acted differently (and I'm not talking about you overedge). When your entire career and life are at stake, when speaking up means losing everything, not so many people keep their moral compass pointing in the right direction. Fans see a sport career as just a short-lived occupation. But more often than not, this short-lived period is decisive for the athletes' entire lives. I have never said that James was right to remain silent. But I can understand why she has, even past some legal reasons. Understanding doesn't mean excusing it. In her shoes, I would probably have emasculated Ciprès with one of my blades, Kaori-style. Woooosh! But I would also have wondered what's wrong with him, how did he sunk so low? You don't magically erase years of work and emotional involvement and turn your back to someone just like that.

and she posted supportive messages on social media after his behaviour, and their coaches' attempts at covering it up, became public. That's my issue with her behaviour.
I can understand your issue. But I can understand James too. I don't know them personally but I have been around them quite a bit and I once liked Ciprès very much. I'm not ashamed of it, and I can't deny I did. That's part of the reason why I'm so raging mad about him. I'm not naive, I'm not a rabid fan, I'm not someone you can fox easily. And I liked him simply because despite his known flaws at the time (which included no crime) he was likable. The relation between pair skaters (and ice dancers) is very particular. The bond between them is so strong that many of them favor their partner over their private life. It's something very difficult to understand for people who aren't in their shoes (me included). But one of my closest male friends was an ice dancer and I have had plenty of time to observe how things worked between him and his partner. They had once been a couple off ice just like James and Ciprès had been, which is another parameter to take into account. How do you speak up against someone who you were once in love with? If your spouse or child committed a crime, would you turn your back to them on the spot without looking back and never again support them? A pair skating or ice team is not much different from a mariage.

The fact James supported Ciprès on social medias for a while (it's clearly no longer the case, look at how fast Ciprès' well wishes were erased from her Insta, like, now get off my lawn) does not mean she supported or enabled child abuse. There is a big difference between supporting him and supporting what he DID. I will never ever support child abuse and sexual misconduct or any form of wrongdoing towards children. But if I had to talk to Ciprès right now (just after kicking him in the balls for good measure) I would say: you are a sex addict. You are a child abuser. You have hurt this child badly and a lot of other people. Kick off your sense of entitlement, cut the narcissistic and I don't give a f*ck attitude. Make amends. Seek treatment. Learn to have a sense of morality. Even criminals need help and are allowed to get some. That's why I can't 100% blame James for what she did and did not. I know I won't convince anyone ;) But I've always been the one who love to play the advocate. (I actually wanted to be a lawyer when I was a teenager. A defense attorney preferably)

Last edited:

wickedwitch

Yes, she did. If she had stopped, packed and left, the whole world would have been aware something very bad had happened. I bet that's something the rink and Gailhaguet's FFSG probably could not let happen. I find it a bit difficult to believe that all the people here who say she is a bad person because she said nothing or willingly covered child abuse would have acted differently (and I'm not talking about you overedge). When your entire career and life are at stake, when speaking up means losing everything, not so many people keep their moral compass pointing in the right direction. Fans see a sport career as just a short-lived occupation. But more often than not, this short-lived period is decisive for the athletes' entire lives. I have never said that James was right to remain silent. But I can understand why she has, even past some legal reasons. Understanding doesn't mean excusing it. In her shoes, I would probably have emasculated Ciprès with one of my blades, Kaori-style. Woooosh! But I would also have wondered what's wrong with him, how did he sunk so low? You don't magically erase years of work and emotional involvement and turn your back to someone just like that.

I can understand your issue. But I can understand James too. I don't know them personally but I have been around them quite a bit and I once liked Ciprès very much. I'm not ashamed of it, and I can't deny I did. That's part of the reason why I'm so raging mad about him. I'm not naive, I'm not a rabid fan, I'm not someone you can fox easily. And I liked him simply because despite his known flaws at the time (which included no crime) he was likable. The relation between pair skaters (and ice dancers) is very particular. The bond between them is so strong that many of them favor their partner over their private life. It's something very difficult to understand for people who aren't in their shoes (me included). But one of my closest male friend was an ice dancer and I have had plenty of time to observe how things worked between him and his partner. They had once been a couple off ice just like James and Ciprès had been, which is another parameter to take into account. How do you speak up against someone who you were once in love with? If your spouse or child committed a crime, would you turn your back to them on the spot without looking back and never again support them? A pair skating or ice team is not much different from a mariage.

The fact James supported Ciprès on social medias for a while (it's clearly no longer the case, look at how fast Ciprès' well wishes were erased from her Insta, like, now get off my lawn) does not me she supported or enabled child abuse. There is a big difference before supporting him and supporting what he DID. I will never ever support child abuse and sexual misconduct or any form of wrongdoing towards children. But if I had to talk to Ciprès right now (just after kicking him in the balls for good measure) I would say: you are a sex addict. You are a child abuser. You have hurt this child badly and a lot of other people. Kick off your sense of entitlement, cut the narcissistic and I don't give a f*ck attitude. Make amends. Seek treatment. Learn to have a sense of morality. Even criminals need help and are allowed to get some. That's why I can't 100% blame James for what she did and did not. I know I won't convince anyone ;) But I've always been the one who love to play the advocate. (I actually wanted to be a lawyer when I was a teenager. A defense attorney preferably)
I agree with 99% of this. I believe that everyone is capable of change (although most don't change because change is hard). I have no problem with Vanessa supporting him privately, assuming that support came in the form of "you did something terrible, but you can make up for it and do better in the future."

The problem is that doing the same publically can give the impression that you don't care about the victim or what the victim endured. And the how the victim (and their loved ones) feels should take precedence.

Japanfan

I agree with 99% of this. I believe that everyone is capable of change (although most don't change because change is hard). I have no problem with Vanessa supporting him privately, assuming that support came in the form of "you did something terrible, but you can make up for it and do better in the future."

The problem is that doing the same publically can give the impression that you don't care about the victim or what the victim endured. And the how the victim (and their loved ones) feels should take precedence.
IDK. And in a way I do have a problem with her supporting him privately.

I get that pair partners are loyal to each other, much as family members are loyal to each other. And that Vanessa's future finances were dependent on Cipres.

But Vanessa is a woman, and I'm sure she's experienced discrimination/prejudice because of it. There was a teen girl, a child according to law.

I would have taken the girl's side, I think. But I'm not one to be complacent or silent when it comes to the issues of the day, particularly as they pertain to girls and women.

So I really just don't know. But I can't say I admire Vanessa.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I can understand your issue. But I can understand James too. I don't know them personally but I have been around them quite a bit and I once liked Ciprès very much. I'm not ashamed of it, and I can't deny I did. That's part of the reason why I'm so raging mad about him. I'm not naive, I'm not a rabid fan, I'm not someone you can fox easily. And I liked him simply because despite his known flaws at the time (which included no crime) he was likable.
:saint: Never liked him for no particular reason that I can justify. But I never like anyone so that has to be taken into account.

Can I help you with the blade cutting part?

And IMO this whole Meagan is hurt thing is ... well trash. She played a dangerous game. She lost in my opinion.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
But do you think it would have impacted the investigation, maybe sped things up or something like that?

I'm not sure how pairs teams are financed, but I do wonder what her contractual obligations were to France were pre-PyeongChang. Parents of pairs skaters and ice dancers should keep this situation in mind if they are signing contracts for their kids.

Regarding her in all of this, with regards to Morgan's criminal activity, I know that the public record seems to be missing many relevant facts.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Other skaters, too - I'm pretty sure Delobel trained during her pregnancy in 2019, and Nathalie Pechalat was probably pregnant (though not very far along) during the 2015 French team tour.

Navka did one of her tours while pregnant with her little one, Nadezhda.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
:saint: Never liked him for no particular reason that I can justify. But I never like anyone so that has to be taken into account.

Can I help you with the blade cutting part?

And IMO this whole Meagan is hurt thing is ... well trash. She played a dangerous game. She lost in my opinion.
I don't think that is fair. It's very understandable that Meagan would be hurt by this. Even if the conversation went in the way she wished I think it would still hurt to see your partner move on without you. Particularly in a partnership that might highlight the insecurities you had when competing together.

I also think she has found solace online with the wrong people and had she followed @feraina advice this would be going better for all.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Yes, she did. If she had stopped, packed and left, the whole world would have been aware something very bad had happened
If she had when it happened, after the girl was pressured by Zimmerman to keep her mouth shut, and, according to the girl's father, the girl refused to cooperate with the police, ie, before the 2018 Olympics, then the skating universe's ears would have perked up, but there are other explanations, like injury. If she had broken the relationship after the Olympic year, then people would be disappointed, and rued missed opportunities, etc., but there's nothing unusual about a post-Olympic break-up, and no one would have tied it to a scandal that hadn't gone public. It would have been closer to the incident, which would have provided more plausible deniability, ie, she was heads down and laser-focused towards the Olympics and people hid it from her.

I agree with @Sarah, that he didn't need to give excuses, because he has the right to want to switch for whatever reason and to do so, as long as he's fulfilled his legal obligations to Duhamel. Most skating fans/observers have read about how much work it was for them to achieve "pairness" and have observed her approach to skating in what she's written, her quotes, and her behavior in Kiss 'n Cry, and who would blame him for wanting a different partnership in which he found more ease and simpatico, particularly at his age and life circumstances? Add in the family-centric decisions that Duhamel has made -- totally her right, but also with consequences -- including being about to decamp to Florida until a last-minute offer allowed her and Marcotte to stay in Canada, and who would be blaming him, even if feeling empathy with Duhamel for losing a professional partnership?

IOW, he didn't need to be a coward or jerk about it, but chose to.

I think there are valid reasons to not support his choice of James and to not be fans of their partnership on skating and non-skating grounds, even if I can appreciate what it meant to skate under Gailhauguet, or to not support their decision to return to competitive skating, especially as he explains this as James wanting an Olympic medal. Others may disagree, but fans get to decide whom to support for whatever reason, and that's life, too.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
True. It should. But unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.
I don't recall anyone saying "Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world" when the Catholic Church scandal broke. The rule everyone went by then was, if a child's life and health and safety are at stake, you do what you can do about it, even if it costs you. That's a universal rule.

becca

The judgment of this should rest with the skater, coach and her doctor. I think we skating fans need to back off
I am not judging her I am saying it might be scary for the guy. He might not want that responsibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information