Decisions of the ISU Council: Stockholm Worlds (March 22-28) still on; Synchro Worlds cancelled; 2021 Grand Prix schedule/Beijing test event announced

coralline

Someone on twitter is saying that BLR team flied with Russian team together?I don't think that is true?

MsZem

I see the sea
It's unfortunate for anyone to test positive, but for it to happen as it did means the setup they have is working - people are arriving, getting tested and isolating until the results are in, and being withdrawn from the competition if needed. It's too bad, but better than for anyone to test positive at a later stage (and let's hope that won't happen!)

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The problem with people assuming it's Safonova is what we are already seeing after mere minutes. Do we know if the Chinese pair that was also withdrawn early this morning was in Sweden yet? And we still don't and won't know if it's a skater unless that person actually says something. Now the detectives are out full-force, and if it's Safonova, I'm sure Twitter will be giddy over the potential of Russian skaters also testing posititve.

And if a skater chooses to be maskless in the warm-up area and that is what the rule says, then if you have an issue with it, you stay with your mask on in the other corner. I also read via Cain-Gribble that they are giving them multiple places to warm up so there's that, too.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
It's unfortunate for anyone to test positive, but for it to happen as it did means the setup they have is working - people are arriving, getting tested and isolating until the results are in, and being withdrawn from the competition if needed. It's too bad, but better than for anyone to test positive at a later stage (and let's hope that won't happen!)
That's what it appears happened, but the ISU hasn't clarified if it was an arrival test or a 'once inside the bubble' test.

LOL - I initially wrote "once inside the buble" which is something else altogether!

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Not necessarily, it could mean close contacts on the way from the airport/ at the testing on arrival.
T/J have only had 1 test arrival so far, so unlikely to be someone who was already mixing in the bubble.
The pre-departure test that the person would have needed to have didn’t pick it up if that’s the case which is worrying.

coralline

The problem with people assuming it's Safonova is what we are already seeing after mere minutes. Do we know if the Chinese pair that was also withdrawn early this morning was in Sweden yet? And we still don't and won't know if it's a skater unless that person actually says something. Now the detectives are out full-force, and if it's Safonova, I'm sure Twitter will be giddy over the potential of Russian skaters also testing posititve.

And if a skater chooses to be maskless in the warm-up area and that is what the rule says, then if you have an issue with it, you stay with your mask on in the other corner. I also read via Cain-Gribble that they are giving them multiple places to warm up so there's that, too.
The third Chinese Team did not go to Sweden. Because the girl is a minor, she cannot be vaccinated with the Chinese vaccine. They decided not to go.

Colonel Green

The pre-departure test that the person would have needed to have didn’t pick it up if that’s the case which is worrying.
That’s not unusual for YKW, though — Prince Edward Island just had a rotational worker return home, test negative on arrival, and then test positive a few days later, which sent contact-tracers scrambling since rotational workers are exempt from the mandatory two-week quarantine on return home and said person had been out in public in the interim.

Debbie S

I haven't seen a ton of warm-up/off-ice vids, but in the ones I have seen (other than the one with Tuk above), the skaters were all wearing masks.

skategal

Bunny mama
That’s not unusual for YKW, though — Prince Edward Island just had a rotational worker return home, test negative on arrival, and then test positive a few days later, which sent contact-tracers scrambling since rotational workers are exempt from the mandatory two-week quarantine on return home and said person had been out in public in the interim.
That’s how the tests work though.

One day you are negative and the next positive.

Same is true for pregnancy. Lol.

litenkyckling

I haven't seen a ton of warm-up/off-ice vids, but in the ones I have seen (other than the one with Tuk above), the skaters were all wearing masks.
I've seen pictures of S/B and S/K warming up maskless, but I'm not sure if they were only with other Russian athletes at that point

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Page 3 of this document describes where face masks are not required. Masks are not required in the warm up area. 😳

Yup, and supposedly Uno has already been photographed or video'd warming up without a mask, too. So we will see how much focus is put on that or any other skaters versus Tuk.

In gyms, it's often allowed to remove your mask when you're doing cardio, on a treadmill, whatever. If people are going to be crazy about this rule, then it's just common sense that skaters who don't feel comfortable can stay masked, double-masked, whatever on in a different area or on another side of the room.

At the end of the day, these are the rules that they knew about.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Yup, and supposedly Uno has already been photographed or video'd warming up without a mask, too. So we will see how much focus is put on that or any other skaters versus Tuk.

In gyms, it's often allowed to remove your mask when you're doing cardio, on a treadmill, whatever. If people are going to be crazy about this rule, then it's just common sense that skaters who don't feel comfortable can stay masked, double-masked, whatever on in a different area or on another side of the room.

At the end of the day, these are the rules that they knew about.
The NCAA isn't requiring masks in the weight rooms for the BB tourniment.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
The NCAA isn't requiring masks in the weight rooms for the BB tourniment.
Not saying masks in the weight room would have prevented it, but aren't there three teams out now? - Kansas, Duke and ?Virginia Tech?.

I think that ISU and OC are doing the best they can do, and from what I've read the competitors are wanting to be there. I hope everyone is able to compete.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Not saying masks in the weight room would have prevented it, but aren't there three teams out now? - Kansas, Duke and ?Virginia Tech?.

I think that ISU and OC are doing the best they can do, and from what I've read the competitors are wanting to be there. I hope everyone is able to compete.
they were out before they even started. The problem is the masks would become wet quickly and render them useless. It's better to socially distance in that particular circumstance. Same as the players aren't wearing them during a game--with no social distancing there. The daily testing and social distancing and masks in public areas are the best way to catch/eliminate transference. And, washing hands.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
@once_upon Duke missed their conference tournament, iirc., which was their last shot at earning a spot in the national tournament.

Kansas is alive and well.

VCU qualified for the national tournament, but too many positive tests after arriving in Indianapolis forced them to forfeit their first round game.

ETA: at the time of my post, Kansas was alive and well, LOL.

Last edited:

mjb52

well, they do now, :lol: After the complaints, they fixed that problem. The bigger problem there was the women got the cheap, less accurate testing than the men.

Wow, really? I heard about the weight room thing but not that. That's quite something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information