Decisions of the ISU Council: Stockholm Worlds (March 22-28) still on; Synchro Worlds cancelled; 2021 Grand Prix schedule/Beijing test event announced

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
AFAIK the US changes time next week but Europe doesn't do it until the day of the exhibition - so I'm guessing it's actually 2AM for you.
Really belatedly, that means there's only a five-hour difference between EST and Stockholm? Whoopie, getting up at 4:30 was not do-able, 5:30 I can maybe manage!

Also I have no idea where to post this but: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1370093612399271942?s=20

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Yes, that's what it means! We will both be up bright and early!
Are the LENGTHS of these comps posted somewhere? I blocked off some time sneakily on my work calendar but realizing how many groups there are....not enough.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Just one coach allowed per competitor (or pair/dance team)? So, for ex, we won’t be seeing the entire Politburo-TeamEteri by the boards?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Just one coach allowed per competitor (or pair/dance team)? So, for ex, we won’t be seeing the entire Politburo-TeamEteri by the boards?
Kvitelashvili will be there, so Daniil and Eteri will both likely go but only one coach per skater.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Pacific time will be 8 hours behind Stockholm time during Worlds. U.S. broadcast schedule (in Eastern time) is posted in the TV Alerts thread.
I know and I've even used google to tell me what X time in Sweden is in PT. But it's still not computing. :lol:

I am going to see what time Peacock says everything starts. That will be local time with no translating.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I know and I've even used google to tell me what X time in Sweden is in PT. But it's still not computing. :lol:

I am going to see what time Peacock says everything starts. That will be local time with no translating.
Look at the Swedish time in military time and subtract 8 and voila! If the start time is 1300, it starts at 0500. If the start time is 10:30, it starts at 02:30 PST. Way easier than counting on your fingers.

MST subtract 7
CST subtract 6
EST subtract 5

Vagabond

Look at the Swedish time in military time and subtract 8 and voila! If the start time is 1300, it starts at 0500. If the start time is 10:30, it starts at 02:30 PST. Way easier than counting on your fingers.

MST subtract 7
CST subtract 6
EST subtract 5
The U.S. and Canada will be on Daylight Savings Time by then. :p

Sweden will be setting its clocks forward in the early hours of Sunday, March 28, so the Exhibition, which starts at 2:30 P.M. local time, will begin at 5:30 A.M. P.D.T.

Schedule
Time zone calculator and more

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Philip Hersh doesn't want us to be too comfy with the decision...

Asked if he thought it was a good idea to have worlds, Chen paused before saying, “I want the event happen. . .as long as it can be safe,.”

When
@nathanwchen
flies to Stockholm for World Championships, it will be his first time on plane since going to 2020 nationals in North Carolina. “I have my anxieties about travel but I’m sure it will be OK. I’ll be double masking though the flights and praying I don’t get sick”

Once at worlds, Chen said he hopes everyone will be responsible about wearing masks and social distancing and that there are repercussions for those who don’t follow the rules.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Philip Hersh doesn't want us to be too comfy with the decision...

Asked if he thought it was a good idea to have worlds, Chen paused before saying, “I want the event happen. . .as long as it can be safe,.”

When
@nathanwchen
flies to Stockholm for World Championships, it will be his first time on plane since going to 2020 nationals in North Carolina. “I have my anxieties about travel but I’m sure it will be OK. I’ll be double masking though the flights and praying I don’t get sick”

Once at worlds, Chen said he hopes everyone will be responsible about wearing masks and social distancing and that there are repercussions for those who don’t follow the rules.
You're blaming Hersh but that honestly sounds like Chen isn't real comfortable about it either.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
You're blaming Hersh but that honestly sounds like Chen isn't real comfortable about it either.
There's so much in there that is editorializing it's hard to tell the depth of Chen's concern, especially when viewed through the reality of Hersh's concern.

Asked if he thought it was a good idea to have worlds, Chen immediately replied, "I want the event to happen just as long as it can be safe."

I only made a small change in what Chen was quoted as saying but I gave the exchange a different tonal quality.

We're seeing Chen's concern through the lens of Hersh's approval of Chen's concern, which strengthens our perception of the depth of Chen's concern.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
There's so much in there that is editorializing it's hard to tell the depth of Chen's concern, especially when viewed through the reality of Hersh's concern.

Asked if he thought it was a good idea to have worlds, Chen immediately replied, "I want the event to happen just as long as it can be safe."

I only made a small change in what Chen was quoted as saying but I gave the exchange a different tonal quality.

We're seeing Chen's concern through the lens of Hersh's approval of Chen's concern, which strengthens our perception of the depth of Chen's concern.
Right, and who knows how long the pause lasted. Was it a lengthy pause or was it for some other reason? Beyond that, I think it is clear that Nathan has seen/heard the same reports about the questionable masking at Russian events and is worried. He was lucky, as an athlete, to live close enough to Las Vegas, to have the luxury of being able to drive himself and minimize the risk of exposure.

Debbie S

Maybe Nathan truly did pause before answering. That's not editorializing, it's reporting. Unless we were there for the convo, we have no idea.

I'm sure the skaters are excited to compete at Worlds. But I also imagine many are concerned about the travel (flights to Stockholm from the U.S. are a lot longer than flights to Vegas) and potential exposure (and potentially at the event). There's room for both emotions.

npavel

I found a page (sorry, it's Swedish, but maybe with google translate) where to watch figure skating Worlds

pairsicedance

I found a page (sorry, it's Swedish, but maybe with google translate) where to watch figure skating Worlds
Thank you! The page gives lots of options - no mention of a Youtube stream though which is odd.

I'm especially excited to see that Worlds will be on ITV here in the UK - I would prefer BBC but to have it at all is great!

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Thank you! The page gives lots of options - no mention of a Youtube stream though which is odd.

I'm especially excited to see that Worlds will be on ITV here in the UK - I would prefer BBC but to have it at all is great!

Ah good, I've found a way of accessing ITV using this free site ITV1 UK.
It does buffer a bit, but better than no access

Ka3sha

Russian Channel 1 will definitely show everything live, but the stream will be most likely geoblocked

Sylvia

TBD
What website is this? I see © 2020 on the bottom so the info may not be up to date?

U.S. broadcast schedule: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...sn-olympic-channel.107668/page-4#post-5965792

Canada's broadcast schedule: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/canadian-tv-coverage-2020-2021.107686/#post-5959353

Japan's broadcast schedule: https://www.fujitv.co.jp/sports/skate/world/index.html

ISU will publish a "Where to Watch" press release of all the broadcasting rights worldwide and countries not listed should be able to watch the Skating ISU YouTube channel's livestream.

Sylvia

TBD
Reuters' Nathan Chen article:
“I can’t lie and say I’m not (anxious)),” said Chen. “I know in theory airplanes are safe but there’s still an issue, especially on international flights, where people will be taking off their masks to eat and bathrooms are always sketchy.

“So I have my anxieties about the travel but I will do my very best to keep my mask from slipping and obviously double masking throughout the flight and praying I don’t get sick.”
Olympic Channel's recap of Nathan's media call last night: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/s...ve-world-figure-skating-title-stockholm-2021/
Chen hopes all athletes and officials comply as skaters attempt to secure national spots for next year’s Beijing 2022 Winter Games. No fans will be in attendance.
“As long as everyone's staying proactive and being responsible about the requirements, [doing] what they're supposed to do, as well as having, you know, having repercussions for not wearing masks or doing other things, I think that'd be better,” Chen said, saying his number one priority for athletes was to keep healthy.
He added: “But ultimately, you know, ultimately I'll just be there to compete.”

barbk

Will people who have recently been vaccinated get positive results on COVID antibody tests used at competitions?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Reuters' Nathan Chen article:

Olympic Channel's recap of Nathan's media call last night: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/s...ve-world-figure-skating-title-stockholm-2021/
(Not directed at you, Sylvia) Neither of these articles are written by Phil Hersh and Nathan Chen still doesn't sound particularly comfortable in them either. And would you look at that, he's concerned about the Russians misbehaving (without naming them but it is obvious).

But tony and co told me that skaters were so excited to skate at Worlds they didn't care!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
(Not directed at you, Sylvia) Neither of these articles are written by Phil Hersh and Nathan Chen still doesn't sound particularly comfortable in them either. And would you look at that, he's concerned about the Russians misbehaving (without naming them but it is obvious).

But tony and co told me that skaters were so excited to skate at Worlds they didn't care!
Give it a break. Don't watch, don't bitch about Vincent, don't do anything that might stress you out even more.

The US has three top skaters. If Nathan doesn't want to go, he doesn't have to. He didn't say anything about Russians. He hopes everyone does their part, just like everyone else does. People have to gauge their risk assessments every day - he went to TWO events in the US, in a city that had very little regulations, whether he was in a plane or not. He still went, he was around people, etc.

Now again, should Brendan Kerry have been banned for his behavior and flaunting it CONSTANTLY on social media, or is it just the Russians that you hate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information