Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I wish some of you would do the math. Harry supposedly inherited $30 million. If full time security costs about $2 million a year, that's about 15 years coverage. (The bulk of the money would be earning interests during that time so a little longer.) And that's if he were willing to use his money for only security, not living expenses. This is a young family so in 15 years Archie & the new baby will still be children.

OTOH Charles is not only fabulously wealthy, part of that is sustainable, so that he will never run out of money even if the monarchy ended tomorrow. He only has 2 children & one of them has his own source of riches. Harry is his son. What does Charles plan to do, take it with him? No, Harry is not entitled to part of his father's income but I would think Charles would want to make sure his child is safe. It's not Harry fault that he is a target to crazed fans. And Charles not only is not willing to help, he pulled his support when they are most vulnerable & refused to take his child's calls. IMO Charles is the only one who really comes off bad in this interview.

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I wish some of you would do the math. Harry supposedly inherited $30 million. If full time security costs about $2 million a year, that's about 15 years coverage. (The bulk of the money would be earning interests during that time so a little longer.) And that's if he were willing to use his money for only security, not living expenses. This is a young family so in 15 years Archie & the new baby will still be children.

OTOH Charles is not only fabulously wealthy, part of that is sustainable, so that he will never run out of money even if the monarchy ended tomorrow. He only has 2 children & one of them has his own source of riches. Harry is his son. What does Charles plan to do, take it with him? No, Harry is not entitled to part of his father's income but I would think Charles would want to make sure his child is safe. It's not Harry fault that his is a target to crazed fans. And Charles not only is not willing to help, he pulled his support when they are most vulnerable & refused to take his child's calls. IMO Charles is the only one who really comes off bad in this interview.
Harry is also a grown man and he can't have it both ways. They can get smarter with their money instead of complaining about being cut off. They're not destitute at all and it shows in Meghan's fancy clothes and their mansion.

skategal

Bunny mama

OTOH Charles is not only fabulously wealthy, part of that is sustainable, so that he will never run out of money even if the monarchy ended tomorrow. He only has 2 children & one of them has his own source of riches. Harry is his son. What does Charles plan to do, take it with him? No, Harry is not entitled to part of his father's income but I would think Charles would want to make sure his child is safe. It's not Harry fault that his is a target to crazed fans. And Charles not only is not willing to help, he pulled his support when they are most vulnerable & refused to take his child's calls. IMO Charles is the only one who really comes off bad in this interview.
One of the articles posted up thread estimated 4 million per year so even less.

I feel like they could have reached a compromise on the security costs even if it was “we will fund you for X months until you get your team in place.”

It’s unreal that they ended up at Tyler Perry’s house because he gave them the security to go with it.

Also I can’t imagine being mean enough to not take my child’s calls in this situation. That is all kinds of messed up.

Lemonade20

I'd be interested to see a breakdown of how security costs can be USD/GBP 12K a day or USD 2-4 million a year.
Agreed, even Canada didn't want that responsibility. Is it really all security costs or is it also to cover their lifestyle costs?

Lemonade20

He kinda makes me ill so I don’t look. His voice and face grates on me. I wish twitter could suspend his account too.
Normally I don't pay attention to what he says, but he pretty much trashed them and said they were being immature

skategal

Bunny mama
I'd be interested to see a breakdown of how security costs can be USD/GBP 12K a day or USD 2-4 million a year.
The article posted above got into some of the details that they need from a point of view of why they can’t get it from Scotland Yard.

There is a lot to it. I think they said they need teams of 4-6 people round the clock? Plus the teams need lodging, meals, some benefits and travel costs?

It may costs less in LA for private security depending if meals and benefits need to be provided.

becca

L

OTOH Charles is not only fabulously wealthy, part of that is sustainable, so that he will never run out of money even if the monarchy ended tomorrow. He only has 2 children & one of them has his own source of riches. Harry is his son. What does Charles plan to do, take it with him? No, Harry is not entitled to part of his father's income but I would think Charles would want to make sure his child is safe. It's not Harry fault that he is a target to crazed fans. And Charles not only is not willing to help, he pulled his support when they are most vulnerable & refused to take his child's calls. IMO Charles is the only one who really comes off bad in this interview.
Except for the fact that if Harry lives in UK costs would be less for security. A lot less.

So once again where is Harry’s responsibility not to move somewhere that expensive?

Furthermore Charles willl not live forever. Which means he cannot fund Harry and Meghan forever. The majority of those funds belong to the Duchy and when he dies legally the Duchy will belong to William.

Now William has his own kids to worry about to take care of and maybe be would rather use those funds to set up trusts for Louis and Charlotte.

Furthermore many in UK are not happy that the Duchy is going to the Prince of Wales. But Charles uses a lot of those profits to fund charities to his credit.

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
A lot of the security estimates seem to have been from the time when it was thought they would divide their time between Canada/the US and the UK - travelling requires extra security measures, and maintaining two homes also does. It's also when it was thought that they would continue to do at least some Royal duties, perhaps big events where more security is needed.

But that's all changed. They have one home, they aren't travelling, they aren't doing appearances involving large crowds of strangers.

I can see where a bodyguard or two would be necessary when they go out in public, particularly for Meghan. Down the road when they get whatever it is they are planning to do going and might be travelling or doing more public appearances, then they can build the cost of that into their production company balance sheet, or even into administrative costs of their charity as cost of doing business.

But at this point 4-6 people round the clock for a couple of homebodies - one of whom is weapons trained and experienced I might add - seems to overdo it.

And again, if they feel this is critical for their wellbeing, then time to make a few sacrifices in other areas of their lives to cover it. Doesn't matter that his father has piles of money - Harry also has money to his own name, as does his wife, and they have numerous income opportunities now and in the future.

Yes they've had their challenges and will continue to have them, but come on people! Compared to the lives of literally millions of others in both their home countries, they have a lot of nerve complaining about not having enough money or titles or soothing pats on the head.

antmanb

I haven't watched the interview (i'm not honestly sure I care enough to bother), but we finished watching Netflix and the TV came back on turned to ITV and the 2 minute snippet i saw had had Meghan talking about The Little Mermaid on tv and it being basically the same story line as hers and I nearly fell off the sofa laughing. I wish she would have gone into a musical number doing Part Of Your World....it may have held my interest longer.

I hope, beyond all hope, that a drag queen does a Meghan Markle version of Part Of Your World soon...i think i have the lyrics ready in my mind.

And just to be clear - i think the tabloid press in the UK have been utterly vile to Meghan and Harry and a lot of the criticism levelled at Meghan is because of racism. I'm not particularly interested in what they're up to now, and if there's one member of the royal family that we ned to be concerned about it's Prince Andrew.

I struggle to see how the royal family can even justify their existence once the Queen has gone.

And i certainly won't be shedding a tear when the racist POS that is the Duke of Edinburgh dies. :shuffle:

Polaris

What baffles me is why people from outside the UK are so invested and have such strong opinions about a family who have very little real power and have done nothing to earn a spotlight or respect for their opinions on pretty much anything. (My one exception to this is that I find Charles's long term custodial approach as landowner to developing Poundbury & Nansledan very interesting, but that's because it overlaps with my professional interests, and it's more about the Duchy as an institution than Charles as an individual. It doesn't mean that I would want to listen to him about anything else) And the handwringing over the tax costs of security/weddings/household renovations; it has nothing to do with anyone outside the UK, why do you care and fight over it so much??

It is the Americans, really. They are OBSESSED with royalty. For all the talk about abolishing the monarchy, they LOVE all the pomp and circumstance about the monarchy.

antmanb

As a British person that had a strong reaction to the pharmaceutical adverts when I was watching TV in America a couple of years ago, I think an equally interesting reaction back would be seeing Americans react to the similarly ubiquitous gambling adverts we have in the UK. Imagine that would be fairly jarring to an American audience. It was a very welcome relief to not have them when we were watching TV in America.

becca

Meanwhile Trump Jr’s security costs are being covered by the US taxpayers (his dad authorized adult children for six months after leaving office).
That’s is normally the rule of thumb for adult children of ex presidents.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
That’s is normally the rule of thumb for adult children of ex presidents.
No, it's not:

Under federal law, Trump, his wife, Melania Trump, and their 14-year-old son are the only members of his immediate family entitled to Secret Service protection after they leave office. The couple will receive it for their lifetimes, and Barron is entitled to protection until he turns 16.

VGThuy

It is the Americans, really. They are OBSESSED with royalty. For all the talk about abolishing the monarchy, they LOVE all the pomp and circumstance about the monarchy.
It’s not the same Americans. We’re a very heterogeneous group. I think the ones banging on about getting rid of it are doing so as a reaction to how crazy obsessed other Americans are about the royal family and defend them like it’s their institution and not one we fought a whole war to be rid of.

Rob

Beach Bum
The U.K. media says the U.K. media is not bigoted - do these people have an ounce of self-awareness? :rofl:

LOL, especially when I can't recall seeing many U.K. media personnel of color.
I think it was a successful interview for them. People are actually talking about them again.

Now I wish them happiness. Let them live authentic lives behind the gates of their exclusive community.

Edit:

Question:
Is it wrong to actually wonder what kind of skin colour a biracial or multiracial baby might have? I ask because I have a few friends whose children are biracial and before they were born it was common for us to wonder about it. My one friend is black and her husband is Chinese and she was openly wondering what her baby would look like considering the gene pool. Maybe some people find this offensive, but to us it was just genetics....
It is one thing to wonder which parent a baby might look like and another thing to suggest that you are thinking about how to hide it or prepare for it if it doesn't come out the "right" way. Which is what was implied.

The notion that the royals denied Meghan access to mental health treatment sounds so consistent with Diana's accounts of her struggles, which I am sure made Harry just frantic. It has been and will always be appearances first. If Harry wants a warm family life, he will have to make it on his own. He's had the opportunity to get out in the world and experience other ways, but his family are the original white supremes and don't have or even desire any understanding of family diversity. I still remember the looks on the royal faces during Bishop Curry's sermon, wide eyes, side eyes and jaw drops. They've gotten used to behavioral scandals and negative publicity, but racial diversity is completely outside their sphere. Being the first is beyond challenging.

I thought that, on top of his $30-40M in inheritances, Harry had a large income from his father through the Duchy of Cornwall and was only cutting off the Sovereign Grant. Was he cut off of that too?

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Remember the bit about the difference in the tabloid's response when both Katie and Meghan ate avocados?

Well Peppermint Patty agrees with Meghan and Harry.

When they even criticize your lunch, it is time to quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information