Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrynight

I was wondering the same thing. What purpose did it serve? All it's done is cause more divisiveness among people (even in a thread on a figure skating board). They're now living the life they wanted, so why trash the relatives--pent up revenge anger for whatever reasons? Or maybe it's to keep relevant? With the events of the past year nobody has really talked about them, and Netflix and Spotify are going to eventually want a return on their investment.

It was a marketing masterstroke which serves to justify the huge amounts of money that Netflix and Spotify are paying them.

Overnight they've turned themselves from ho hum celebrities into extremely marketable celebrities. This is going to give them a content basis and platform for public speaking fees and appearances and documentaries for a very long time. And for Meghan, it's ensured her an individual platform for the rest of her life, regardless of what Harry does. It was a pretty impressive tactical take down of the royal family, whilst positioning themselves for their careers going forwards.

Obviously, the off-shot is Harry's relationship with his family is not existent and I will never be comfortable with him seeking retribution on his family through the media. But it's probably unlikely he had much of a relationship with his family for a long time.

Personally, I expect that we will be seeing a lot of Meghan and Harry publicly going forward.

But at the same time, a continuation of stoking division doesn't bring me any joy. And they have absolutely let the vampire over the threshold by inviting the media and public into their family breakdown.

Last edited:

mella

I think it was a successful interview for them. People are actually talking about them again.

Now I wish them happiness. Let them live authentic lives behind the gates of their exclusive community.

Edit:

Question:
Is it wrong to actually wonder what kind of skin colour a biracial or multiracial baby might have? I ask because I have a few friends whose children are biracial and before they were born it was common for us to wonder about it. My one friend is black and her husband is Chinese and she was openly wondering what her baby would look like considering the gene pool. Maybe some people find this offensive, but to us it was just genetics....

There is a difference between wondering what a child might look like given the contributers of their DNA and expressing concern about whether a child might be too dark skinned - to cut through some of the pretty language being used on the subject.

mackiecat

I feel the issue with being cut off was that the press had already leaked their location in BC Their risk level didn’t change and the family just shut down the security. What family does that to their kid? They should have been given time to get to a safer location and arrange their own security

starrynight

This quote from Harry struck me regarding William and the monarchy: 'I don't know, I can't speak for him. But with that relationship and that control and the fear by the UK tabloids, it's a toxic environment.

So if it's the case that Harry believes William to be scared of the press, it has been pretty pointed for both Harry and Meghan to bring a media storm on him. Particularly given that there was a fair bit of talk about William and Kate in that interview and the subsequent clips. Including the ones where Meghan directly said that she had it worse than Kate and mentioned the Waity Katey stuff.

I certainly think there's a lot of animosity between these two couples and the knife is really getting twisted.

I feel the issue with being cut off was that the press had already leaked their location in BC Their risk level didn’t change and the family just shut down the security. What family does that to their kid? They should have been given time to get to a safer location and arrange their own security

I guess the fully paid for safer location was Frogmore Cottage. So it's not like there was no where for them to go.

The Canadian taxpayer security and the British taxpayer security was cut when they stopped being working members of the royal family.

I wonder if Charles could have stopped this business with some cheques. It would have probably been about $8 million a year going forward for allowance for security and living expenses and then probably another $15 million lump sum for a house. Pause for a sec and soak that in.

Whether anyone thinks a person should expect that amount of money is another question. There was already a fully paid for house available to them - they wanted another one paid for them in a different country at a much greater expense. Is it that unreasonable to expect two adults with a $30 million trust fund to find their own way?

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I may be confused about the timelines here, but if Harry had access to enough money from his mother's estate to buy an expensive house, could he also have paid for his family's own security when the royal security coverage was removed?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Even if Oprah owned CBS, which i don't believe she does, the decision is hers to make.

Meghan and Harry had little to no input once the interview was completed. I believe any contract would have had them sign the interview to Oprah
Oprah has her own production company. She has total control as to editing, content, etc. She then sold the syndication rights to CBS iirc for $70,000'000.00 and the European rights to another syndication group.

She is Oprah Winfrey. I would think she would have no problem rescheduling with the syndication groups. They want to keep her happy.
Harry and Meghan were not paid for the interview. I would love to know if OWN made a rather healthy contribution to Archwell which H&M control.

People who run non profits can be paid. They can also be reimbursed for reasonable expenses....clothes and travel etc.

starrynight

I may be confused about the timelines here, but if Harry had access to enough money from his mother's estate to buy an expensive house, could he also have paid for his family's own security when the royal security coverage was removed?

I'm pretty sure any human could support themselves with $30 million. But I think that Harry has a different perspective on how much money one 'needs' to live.

skategal

Bunny mama
At a cost of 12,000 pounds per day (someone upthread said that I think?) it won’t last long especially once the kids get in school as costs will rise then.

Harry said that they have to work to pay for their security costs.

starrynight

Harry said that they have to work to pay for their security costs.

I think the fact that this is being treated as some kind of injustice is very strange. Don't all regular people have to work to pay for themselves? Harry did have a job that paid for the security, but he quit it. So then it follows that he needed to find a new job.

Welcome to the real world.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Oprah has her own production company. She has total control as to editing, content, etc. She then sold the syndication rights to CBS iirc for $70,000'000.00 and the European rights to another syndication group.

People who run non profits can be paid. They can also be reimbursed for reasonable expenses....clothes and travel etc.

Selling the syndication rights has nothing to do with controlling when the material is broadcast, unless that's specifically written into the contract. And what people do or don't get paid for at non-profits has nothing to do with commercial television deals.

skategal

Bunny mama
I think the fact that this is being treated as some kind of injustice is very strange. Don't all regular people have to work to pay for themselves? Harry did have a job that paid for the security, but he quit it. So then it follows that he needed to find a new job.

I think Harry said it to explain why they are doing Netflix and Spotify due to :argue: that they have received for doing these initiatives.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

If the security costs are that expensive,.they could also have bought a less expensive house. I get that they can't live just anywhere, for security reasons, but still.

becca

You have a very weird sense of what's "unconscionable."
Also can we stop acting like Prince Philip will be a great loss? He's 99, lived a very full life, and was an awful parent and a proud racist. Prince Philip sucks. Prince Philip is the reason Charles had so many issues as an adult and probably the reason why Andrew is a mess too.
Well Meghan and Harry have been clear that Phillip and The Queen have been always kind. The Prince has lived a full life but he has never been bad to his grandson and there should be some loyalty there.
They should've pulled a @becca and vented on FSU! Or on Reddit!
But that would have been better if it’s anonymous and they don’t name names no one’a reputation is hurt.
I honestly do that because I like to hear outside points of view am I being an idiot?

I actually avoid talking to mutual friends about break ups etc

canbelto

The difference between Elizabeth and Philip as parents (at least through the eyes of royal biographers) was that Elizabeth was absent and distracted while Philip was actively bad. Like pushing his children to go to Gourdonston, and reacting to everything with a "buckle up" attitude.

Harry and Meghan seem to like them tho. So maybe they're better grandparents than parents.

skategal

Bunny mama
If the security costs are that expensive,.they could also have bought a less expensive house. I get that they can't live just anywhere, for security reasons, but still.
They aren’t against working, especially Meghan.

If they are going to work and they know they are signing lucrative deals to bring in a good paycheque, why not get the house they want?

becca

The difference between Elizabeth and Philip as parents (at least through the eyes of royal biographers) was that Elizabeth was absent and distracted while Philip was actively bad. Like pushing his children to go to Gourdonston, and reacting to everything with a "buckle up" attitude.

Harry and Meghan seem to like them tho. So maybe they're better grandparents than parents.
I would think they are better grandparents Harry clearly adores her.

And Phillip strikes me as the hilarious politically incorrect grandfather. And Harry has said he zooms with him. For a 99 year old man to make that effort.

As for a bad parent it’s not like Phillip had great examples for himself he had an extremely tough childhood. He may have done the best he could with the example he could. We all might be Called bad parents if our parenting example made the public eye.

canbelto

I would think they are better grandparents Harry clearly adores her.

And Phillip strikes me as the hilarious politically incorrect grandfather. And Harry has said he zooms with him. For a 99 year old man to make that effort.

As for a bad parent it’s not like Phillip had great examples for himself he had an extremely tough childhood.

Yeah Philip did. His mother had mental problems and was ushered away. His father didn't care. He lost his favorite sister. I hope Philip can hang on enough to see the little girl.

Winnipeg

What would happen to Harry if their relationship were to break up (I hope it does not but has he turned off the option to return to uk?) Has he lost his family.

starrynight

Old Phillip is literally a century old and grew up in a time completely different to the present day. I think he should just be let be.

And he is a veteran of a World War. One has to wonder just how much totally untreated PTSD existed in his generation - through the death and destruction of the war. That would have been an entire generation of traumatised people that never got a second of mental health attention. It doesn't surprise me in the least that there are issues.

canbelto

Old Phillip is literally a century old and grew up in a time completely different to the present day. I think he should just be let be.

And he is a veteran of a World War. One has to wonder just how much totally untreated PTSD existed in his generation - through the death and destruction of the war. That would have been an entire generation of traumatised people that never got a second of mental health attention. It doesn't surprise me in the least that there are issues.

I actually sort of wonder if Harry has untreated PTSD from his tours to Afghanistan.
His sensitivity to lightbulbs from the press sounds like PTSD, where bright lights and noises can trigger you.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
They aren’t against working, especially Meghan.

If they are going to work and they know they are signing lucrative deals to bring in a good paycheque, why not get the house they want?
Because if they have to ask for support to pay their security, their expenses are higher than their income.

Things like private screening rooms and yoga studios are not essentials.

skategal

Bunny mama
Because if they have to ask for support to pay their security, their expenses are higher than their income.

Things like private screening rooms and yoga studios are not essentials.
I don’t think they are against working for it.

Harry thinks he should get it because he thinks he’s entitled to it.

It‘s like Stephane Dion said “I’m entitled to my entitlements.” :lol:

Judy

The house in California is actually mortgaged.

He discussed in the interview that everything happened very fast with the covid situation and borders being shut. There wasn’t a lot of time to make security arrangements.

becca

One could point out that Harry had a job that paid for security and quit it. And moved to a place where security would be ridiculously expensive.

it’s more than a little bit entitled to expect prince Charles to foot the bill.

Jimena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information