Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winnipeg

I watched the interview and found nothing surprised me other than Meghan's statement about her mental health. If a person seeks help for depression, to ignore those pleas is unforgiveable IMHO.

I was happy there was no adverse reference to the Queen because I think she has done an admirable job..........I appreciate her past demonstration of consideration of her decisions and ability to change them when she feels they were perhaps first made in error or w/o all the info (eg, Diana's funeral).

I do not understand though why they had to do the interview right now when the grandfather is in hospital. Doesn't the Queen have enough to worry about? Even do the interview at all; why not just walk away?

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I am saying Meghan shouldn’t talk to someone about her issues. I am saying she shouldn’t give a public interview with 17 million people watching and announce to the world.

The behavior is exactly the same as her families behavior.
And it’s done to do harm to others it’s done to destroy others reputation.
This sounds suspiciously like what people say when skaters or gymnasts, women or men or anyone tries to report abuse of any type. "Think about his, her, their Olympic dreams"

It's a garbage excuse at best. Especially if, as it seems in this case, tried to be addressed privately. At some point you recognize nothing is going to unless you let the world as a whole know.

ilovepaydays

At the time I wondered why Oprah was invited to the wedding...were they actually friends??? When would their paths have crossed?

She’s Oprah. She can probably get into any celebrity event she wants to attend. Weren’t there tons of celebrities (Steven Spielberg, Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, etc.) at Diana’s funeral? Was Diana actually friends with all these people?

Stefanie

She’s Oprah. She can probably get into any celebrity event she wants to attend. Weren’t there tons of celebrities (Steven Spielberg, Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, etc.) at Diana’s funeral? Was Diana actually friends with all these people?
Thanks. I was just asking a question. I guess I am in the minority in that I find it strange that celebrities would want to attend an event for someone they barely know. :)

becca

And didn’t Harry later on say he didn’t tell the senior royal family about Meghans mental health issues? Which is a contradiction.

this is something I want to say do you think Harry and William appreciated his mother airing her marriage problems on National tv

Do you think Archie is going to appreciate all of his friends knowing that a close family member commented on his potential race and didn’t care if Mom committed suicide?

And this one version of events. I don’t see how Meghan and Harry are helping anyone with this. There are multiple sides to the story.

Including Harry’s decision to quadruple his security costs.

I don’t need to know the inner goings on of that family.

Look I am not saying there are not issues but often in family issues there is two sides three sides. And also when people have issues with all sides of their family. They are probably a part of the drama.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Some stories online say that Meghan and Oprah had only met once before the wedding.

From the Mirror (tabloid):
But after this, Oprah was keen to offer "friendship and guidance to the duchess as she grew into her role".

Again, this doesn't make sense. If the wedding was so much of a circus that they felt they had to have a private blessing (or whatever it was) beforehand, why invite a celebrity the bride had only met once?

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
Thanks. I was just asking a question. I guess I am in the minority in that I find it strange that celebrities would want to attend an event for someone they barely know. :)
At least where I'm from, it's pretty typical for the celebrant not to know all of the attendees at mass gatherings/weddings/funerals with hundreds of people in attendance.

For weddings with 200+ attendees, it's not unusual to be seated with third cousins twice removed and your niece's coworkers. Heck, I would probably fail if I was given pop quiz about which of my 26 little cousins is being married at that time.

For funerals for well-respected/known people, they tend to be as much community events as they are about the life of the person being mourned/celebrated.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
So, Meghan and Harry invited Oprah to their wedding so they could do a tell-all with her a few years later?

That's a tenuous connection to be sure. But IMO this one is on Oprah. If someone is your friend and you are advising them in private, you shouldn't go on TV with them and pretend to be an objective interviewer.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Oprah befriended Meghan’s mom early in the courtship and provided media advice, then later got to know Meghan. This may have been farsighted planning on her part and/or a wish to protect a biracial woman in what she knew would be difficult circumstances.

As to Oprah’s interview abilities, the vast majority of journalists agree she’s stellar: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...1d21f2-8013-11eb-81db-b02f0398f49a_story.html

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I watched the interview and found nothing surprised me other than Meghan's statement about her mental health. If a person seeks help for depression, to ignore those pleas is unforgiveable IMHO.

I was happy there was no adverse reference to the Queen because I think she has done an admirable job..........I appreciate her past demonstration of consideration of her decisions and ability to change them when she feels they were perhaps first made in error or w/o all the info (eg, Diana's funeral).

I do not understand though why they had to do the interview right now when the grandfather is in hospital. Doesn't the Queen have enough to worry about? Even do the interview at all; why not just walk away?
Because It is all about them. That is Harry’s 99 year old grandfather. Neither of them have any business asking for compassion, respect or anything else.. I just don’t get it. Unconscionable.

canbelto

Because It is all about them. That is Harry’s 99 year old grandfather. Neither of them have any business asking for compassion, respect or anything else.. I just don’t get it. Unconscionable.

You have a very weird sense of what's "unconscionable."
Also can we stop acting like Prince Philip will be a great loss? He's 99, lived a very full life, and was an awful parent and a proud racist. Prince Philip sucks. Prince Philip is the reason Charles had so many issues as an adult and probably the reason why Andrew is a mess too.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The private ceremony 3 days before the wedding would not have been legal. The Church of England requires 2 witnesses for the ceremony. I think there are also restrictions about where the ceremony can take place.

I was wondering about that too. At first I thought that it might have something to do with Meghan being a divorcee - like Charles and Camilla couldn't have a church wedding because she was divorced, so they had a civil ceremony followed by a blessing of the marriage in the church. But H&M had a full Anglican wedding ceremony in church, so whatever ceremony the Archbishop did couldn't have been a marriage.

canbelto

I think the vows exchange isn't the same as signing the marriage certificate. I think a vows exchange can probably be done privately. I'm also wondering if the vows exchange was a way to have a more intimate "wedding" rehearsal before the state-televised wedding.

skategal

Bunny mama
Where I come from you don’t have to have a ceremony. The minute you sign the marriage certificate, you are married.

We were told not to sign it until the wedding day if we didn’t want to be married until then. :lol:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
After watching the interview, it left me with more questions than answers. But bottom line, wow! To feel suicidal and to ask for help and be denied the help, that is too much for anyone to handle. Leaving the family was probably the right decision after all. I feel like they wanted to do this interview more to get everyone to sympathize with them, but at the same time I don't see what the point of this interview is really supposed to achieve.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I'm pretty sure that TV broadcast and Oprah's production company set the dates of airing, not Harry and Meghan. The network and Oprah's people had been advertising the heck out of the interview prior to Prince Phillip being hospitalized. They might have been able to request to change the date of airing, but probably not depends on contract.

Oprah made a point to ask and it was part of any trailer I saw about questions and how nothing was off limits. The interview was edited to meet what Oprah wanted it to be.

Polaris

You have a very weird sense of what's "unconscionable."
Also can we stop acting like Prince Philip will be a great loss? He's 99, lived a very full life, and was an awful parent and a proud racist. Prince Philip sucks. Prince Philip is the reason Charles had so many issues as an adult and probably the reason why Andrew is a mess too.

Not Elizabeth? Why is everyone cutting the Queen so much slack?

liv

I think it was a successful interview for them. People are actually talking about them again.

Now I wish them happiness. Let them live authentic lives behind the gates of their exclusive community.

Edit:

Question:
Is it wrong to actually wonder what kind of skin colour a biracial or multiracial baby might have? I ask because I have a few friends whose children are biracial and before they were born it was common for us to wonder about it. My one friend is black and her husband is Chinese and she was openly wondering what her baby would look like considering the gene pool. Maybe some people find this offensive, but to us it was just genetics....

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I'm pretty sure that TV broadcast and Oprah's production company set the dates of airing, not Harry and Meghan. The network and Oprah's people had been advertising the heck out of the interview prior to Prince Phillip being hospitalized. They might have been able to request to change the date of airing, but probably not depends on contract.

Oprah made a point to ask and it was part of any trailer I saw about questions and how nothing was off limits. The interview was edited to meet what Oprah wanted it to be.
Oprah owns the company and has total say. TPTB would have changed the date. had Oprah wanted to.

Oreo

Even do the interview at all; why not just walk away?
I was wondering the same thing. What purpose did it serve? All it's done is cause more divisiveness among people (even in a thread on a figure skating board). They're now living the life they wanted, so why trash the relatives--pent up revenge anger for whatever reasons? Or maybe it's to keep relevant? With the events of the past year nobody has really talked about them, and Netflix and Spotify are going to eventually want a return on their investment.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Oprah owns the company and has total say. TPTB would have changed the date. had Oprah wanted to.
Even if Oprah owned CBS, which i don't believe she does, the decision is hers to make.

Meghan and Harry had little to no input once the interview was completed. I believe any contract would have had them sign the interview to Oprah

Polaris

I was wondering the same thing. What purpose did it serve? All it's done is cause more divisiveness among people (even in a thread on a figure skating board). They're now living the life they wanted, so why trash the relatives--pent up revenge anger for whatever reasons? Or maybe it's to keep relevant? With the events of the past year nobody has really talked about them, and Netflix and Spotify are going to eventually want a return on their investment.
They should've pulled a @becca and vented on FSU! Or on Reddit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information