Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveRinger

That’s a shock. I just saw this a few hours ago.

pollyanna

And now Geddert has committed suicide?!

Also curious re human trafficking charges...
From the article you posted

According to the indictment, 14 of the charges are human trafficking — forced labor resulting in injury. Geddert is accused of knowingly subjecting or attempting to subject gymnasts into "forced labor or services by causing or threatening to cause physical harm." Six other human trafficking charges are related to minors in which Geddert is accused of using minors for forced labor or services.

Nessel added that the case against Geddert might differ from what many generally think of with regard to human trafficking.

"We think of [human trafficking] predominantly as affecting people of color, or those without means to protect themselves from this type of crime, but honestly it can happen to anyone, anywhere," Nessel said. "Just like the perpetrators of domestic violence and sexual assault, traffickers can seize an opportunity at any time, and use the vulnerability of their victims to their advantage."

It's all so horrible. I pray we learn from it and cherish our athletes going forward.

Erin

Banned Member
Shocking news re the suicide. I feel for the survivors who I’m sure will be dealing with a lot at this news.

About the human trafficking, there is a link with the PDF of the charges, which lists forced labor resulting in injury, so I assume it’s related to his awful training techniques. It’s an interesting way to charge a gymnastics coach that could probably be used on many, many others.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
And not just gymnastics. There was a boys high basketball team in NJ that featured kids from outside the school's geographic region, illegally put on the team and kept in a house without adequate food, supervision or bedding/facilities.

FiveRinger

I'm confused. The article says that Geddert was charged and was due to make an appearance in court. How was he free to walk the street with 24 charges? Was he going to be detained when he got to court? There's nothing that says he was ever arrested. I'm asking how was he not in custody under surveillance and able to commit suicide. Am I missing something?

Erin

Banned Member
I'm confused. The article says that Geddert was charged and was due to make an appearance in court. How was he free to walk the street with 24 charges? Was he going to be detained when he got to court? There's nothing that says he was ever arrested. I'm asking how was he not in custody under surveillance and able to commit suicide. Am I missing something?

He was due to to self-surrender at 2:15 pm. When he didn’t show up, that’s when they found him.

Self-surrenders are relatively common when the defendant is rich and/or white and/or famous. One of the most famous self-surrenders in history was OJ Simpson, which is what led to the now infamous white Bronco low-speed chase.

clairecloutier

What a horrible story, from beginning to end, for everyone involved. 😔😢

I feel kind of sick because I had started reading Geddert’s blog at one point, after seeing Jordyn Wieber at 2011 Worlds and being impressed with her. Ugh. 🤮 Who could have known he was such a monster. 😡

starrynight

Reading the articles around this was horrendous.

It’s so terrible when horrific people like that can play God around children. And ruin their lives over what, at the end of the day, is just a sport.

Very interesting though to see human trafficking and child labour considered. Most modern countries have laws around how young and hard children are allowed to work. But sports seems to be this giant loophole where children can be required to work hours that well exceed adult working weeks.

Last edited:

Judy

Reading the articles around this was horrendous.

It’s so terrible when horrific people like that can play God around children. And ruin their lives over what, at the end of the day, is just a sport.

Very interesting though to see human trafficking and child labour considered. Most modern countries have laws around how young and hard children are allowed to work. But sports seems to be this giant loophole where children can be required to work hours that well exceed adult working weeks.
I just saw this in the news. How horrifying for these girls 😢.

ilovepaydays

I’m now at wondering what’s going to be said during NBC’s Winter Cup coverage this weekend.

At least we’ll be having Terry Gannon and not Al Trautwig.

starrynight

It’s so regrettable that these cases won’t go to trial, because I think it might have brought more awareness of the terrible nature of abusive training methods.

Because I don’t think a lot of people understand it.

I think people would be prone to dismiss athletes who complain about abusive training to be 'weak' or 'not cut out for success'. Such an environment basically green lights a coach to straight out assault children (evidenced by him throwing a girl onto the low bars and seriously injuring her).

It's a shame that this will not get the spotlight it deserves. All the headlines focus on the sexual abuse, but I don't think enough attention goes to the physical and mental abuse of training processes.

I was speaking to a friend who did low level high school gymnastics and she even had a story of a girl who competed with a broken wrist because she was too afraid of the coach to tell her that she was injured. At their training sessions all parents were banned so the coach could discipline without intervention. Again - high school low level gymnastics. It's a systemic issue in the sport.

Last edited:

Judy

It’s so regrettable that these cases won’t go to trial, because I think it might have brought more awareness of the terrible nature of abusive training methods.

Because I don’t think a lot of people understand it.

I think people would be prone to dismiss athletes who complain about abusive training to be 'weak' or 'not cut out for success'. Such an environment basically green lights a coach to straight out assault children (evidenced by him throwing a girl onto the low bars and seriously injuring her).

It's a shame that this will not get the spotlight it deserves. All the headlines focus on the sexual abuse, but I don't think enough attention goes to the physical and mental abuse of training processes.

I was speaking to a work colleague who did low level high school gymnastics and she even had a story of a girl who competed with a broken wrist because she was too afraid of the coach to tell her that she was injured. At their training sessions all parents were banned so the coach could discipline without intervention. Again - high school low level gymnastics. It's a systemic issue in the sport.
Well I am not an athlete but I get it. It’s criminal and it is horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information