NBC to show 2 hour commemorative of American skating Sunday afternoon at 2 PM EST

ilovepaydays

Man I wish this was more of a commemorative piece of the past 100 years but that would take forever.

Here would be my list of us nationals to show besides what they’ve shown (off the top of my head):
Peggy Fleming lp 1968
Janet Lyn lp 1973
Tai and Randy lp 1979
Scott Hamilton lp 1984
Debi Thomas lp 1986
Brian Boitano sp 1988
Tonya Harding lp 1991
Rudy Galindo lp 1996
Tara Lipinski lp 1997
Michelle Kwan lp 1998
Sasha Cohen sp 2004

Also worth mentioning would be Dorothy Hamill’s 1976 LP and Johnny Weir’s 2004 LP.
——————————————

Uh....I would have shown Knierims’ 2015 or 2018 LP over their 2020 SP.

buffyfan02

I'd add Dorothy Hamill to that list, too! That haircut of hers became famous! :respec:

Oh, and let's not forget about Kristi Yamaguchi!
Yes!
I didn’t think Kristi was that good. Her jumps were tiny.
I think Kristi’s pro career was really where she got to shine. She was always solid as a rock, and she got to explore her performer side!

ilovepaydays

I didn’t think Kristi was that good. Her jumps were tiny.

Kristi was good enough to seize the moment when Tonya became a trainwreck and Ito and Kerrigan choked when they did.

Yes!

I think Kristi’s pro career was really where she got to shine. She was always solid as a rock, and she got to explore her performer side!

Kristi probably did the best job of improving as a pro skater ever, IMHO.

Sylvia

TBD
The best pairs performance at 2020 Nationals for me was Jessica Calalang/Brian Johnson's 1st place FS that won them the silver medal. Had they won Skate America, I think their FS in Greensboro would have been shown today.

Meryl & Charlie were just interviewed and their 2014 Nationals FD to Sheherazade is up.

VGThuy

Ice Dance is the most successful discipline for the US in the past ten years and they only show two performances. Men’s is second thanks to Nathan and Evan and arguably World medalist Vincent Zhou, and they decide to go with Adam and Johnny. I get Jason because he’s still competing and highly competitive with his GOE and PCS and working on his TES.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Well they have to find a way to get people to watch.

Calling it the "100th Anniversary" makes people possibly tune in because they think it's about the icons like Michelle, Kristi, Scott, Brian, Dorothy and Peggy. If they told you straight up it's mainly Starr Andrews and Mariah Bell and these current people it would D.O.A. ratings wise.
Why call it the 100th Anniversary if they won’t even mention at least the names of famous skaters in the past? Is that too hard for them to do?

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Ice Dance is the most successful discipline for the US in the past ten years and they only show two performances. Men’s is second thanks to Nathan and Evan and arguably World medalist Vincent Zhou, and they decide to show Adam and Johnny.

Because diversity

And how you left out Chock & Bates, Hubbell/Donohue but show Starr Andrews???

Lemonade20

Because diversity

And how you left out Chock & Bates, Hubbell/Donohue but show Starr Andrews???
I was surprised by that one too. I wonder how they picked out the performances, did they draw names from a hat or something?

Lemonade20

If you got to pick only one performance that’s a must-see-again from the past 100 years, who would you pick?

NAOTMAA

Why call it the 100th Anniversary if they won’t even mention at least the names of famous skaters in the past? Is that too hard for them to do?
They think people don't give a **** about the past and those skaters that's why. It's gone, dead and buried.

Plus NBC think people are stupid. They think a young person watching will go all "Dorothy who? Kristi who?" It's all about being current. They think young people are watching this, not just the diehards :rolleyes:

Lemonade20

They think people don't give a **** about the past and those skaters that's why. It's gone, dead and buried.

Plus NBC think people are stupid. They think a young person watching will go all "Dorothy who? Kristi who?" They think young people are watching this, not just the diehards
You really think skating fans are only made up of young people? #delusional

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information