Medvedeva leaves Orser for Tutberidze

kwanatic

TBH, of all of Eteri's students I felt like she had the best connection with Evgenia. They had the most success of all of her students and I really feel like she wanted Evgenia to win in 2018. I remember the genuine shock on Eteri's face in Pyeongchang when Alina's SP score came up and she'd narrowly beaten Evgenia. It was almost like her heart sank because she knew Evgenia's chances of winning were zero if Alina managed to skate cleanly.

Eteri always seems pretty cold but I honestly feel like she had and still does have a soft spot for Evgenia, which is probably why she had such a bad reaction when Evgenia left...that and she's kinda petty so...and also why she welcomed her back.

I feel like this is such news given everything that happened. I'd imagine the news channels are tripping over themselves trying to set up an interview with both of them.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
No, not at all, they will just "feel sorry for Janny" that she has to do this politically and professionally.

I believe this is a path to the Zagitova style "retirement" and I doubt we'll see Med at Nationals.
She might make it to nationals, but not the Euro, world or Olympic team. She has a recurring back issue, no quad or 3A, and just isn't going to be competitive against the skaters who do. The points just aren't there. But, she's the one who has to decide her future so, good luck with the move back where she started. No doubt that it was difficult having to ask to return under the circumstances

kwanatic

I believe this is a path to the Zagitova style "retirement" and I doubt we'll see Med at Nationals.

I think the only way we wouldn't see Evgenia at nationals is if she's too injured to skate. She's very serious about competing to Beijing; the question is (1) will her body hold up that long and (2) is there any possible way she can improve enough to earn one of those 3 spots on the team.

Vagabond

:huh:

When I saw this thread title in the Forum Index, I wondered how this discussion from April 1, 2020 had escaped the admins' notice.

Then I wondered if, between you-know-what and sheltering from smoke from the wildfires, I had somehow lost track of time and it was already April 1, 2021.

But it's September 16, 2020, and the links in the first post sure look real. But they can't be! Can they?

Help, please! 🆘 :confused:

D

Deleted member 40371

It makes sense for Med to work in Russia, but this was unexpected. I guess there is always a spot for Kosternaya or Trusova if they decide to come back to work with Eteri.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
OTOH I don't really know what can be done with Evgenia in terms of making her competitive with Shcherbakova, Kostornaia, Valieva and Trusova. With Eteri's political backing Evgenia will likely get (unwarranted) higher PCS which would probably place her in line with Kostornaia who earns the top PCS...but there's only so much she can do from a TES standpoint.

Med was already getting unwarranted PCS with her empty stone-faced Orser programs. I expect her PCS to stay in the same range.

She might make it to nationals, but not the Euro, world or Olympic team. She has a recurring back issue, no quad or 3A, and just isn't going to be competitive against the skaters who do. The points just aren't there. But, she's the one who has to decide her future so, good luck with the move back where she started. No doubt that it was difficult having to ask to return under the circumstances

In this season, only Shcherbakova and Trusova have landed quads or triple axels. The third spot is open. Perhaps Kostornaia will show her 3a later. And perhaps Valieva will upset the apple cart next year. But Med definitely looks like she could be in the mix this season.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Med was already getting unwarranted PCS with her empty stone-faced Orser programs. I expect her PCS to stay in the same range.

In this season, only Shcherbakova and Trusova have landed quads or triple axels. The third spot is open. Perhaps Kostornaia will show her 3a later. And perhaps Valieva will upset the apple cart next year. But Med definitely looks like she could be in the mix this season.
Tuk is landing her 3A in practice and did at the test skate practice. We don't know about Kostornaia's 3A. Tuk is also doing quads in practice

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Tuk is landing her 3A in practice and did at the test skate practice. We don't know about Kostornaia's 3A. Tuk is also doing quads in practice

I counted only ones that were landed at the formal test skates. But Tuk is definitely in the mix as well.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Nothing like Russian ladies skating to bring the drama and the :watch: :watch:

I'm still wrapping my head around this. I love Medvedeva, and have from the beginning. It's going to be interesting to see how everything shapes out with the Russian domestic events this fall.

As far as we know, Medvedeva is competing this weekend, right?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
This is just the best soap opera ever. I'm a Med fan but wasn't too impressed with her SP (haven't gotten to watch the LPs yet.) Eteri gets to prove she can coach an "old" skater, this should be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information