Anna Levandi being investigated for abusive coaching practices ("it's not really just her, but the whole system")

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Well, people were assuming that Estonia only had 1 spot for Worlds but they have two. One has to presume that Niina will be named to the team regardless of how her recovery is going. And I'd guess that Eva-Lotta would get the 2nd spot if she can earn the SP TES min but she was pretty far off at the one comp she had earlier this month, so I expect it to go to either Lisovskaja or Langerbaur, neither of whom are going to bump Amber into a lower group, lol.

Cool and I had just re-edited my post above. I said, I think you were even one of the people who was explaining Amber’s start order to me a few weeks ago, depending on Estonia‘s entrant.

Anyway, back onto the topic at hand
 gross and disgusting coaches out in the world today. Can you believe it?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Cool and I had just re-edited my post above. I said, I think you were even one of the people who was explaining Amber’s start order to me a few weeks ago, depending on Estonia‘s entrant.

Anyway, back onto the topic at hand
 gross and disgusting coaches out in the world today. Can you believe it?
Well, a few weeks ago I didn't have any reason to think that Niina was a guarantee for Worlds. She did okay at Tallink Hotels Cup last weekend, better than any other Estonian woman, so there's now reason to think she will definitely be at Worlds.

Sylvia

TBD
2 related Estonian articles and some machine translated excerpts:

According to experts, sports ethics need to be talked about more in society (Feb. 25):
The scandal of figure skating coach Anna Levandi, which broke out this week, made people once again discuss training methods and the ethical limits of coaching in sports. Since there are so many aspects to consider in the work of coaches, experts say that sports ethics should be talked about more in society.
Several stories in which athletes have accused coaches of abuse have unfolded in the public eye in the recent past. However, this does not mean that there was less abuse in the past, society is simply more aware now.
"Really, people aren't willing to put up with as much as maybe they used to put up with, they express their protest more easily. Just because in the past you didn't dare to express that I don't like the coach yelling at me, that doesn't mean it's didn't bother me," said sports psychologist Aave Hannus.
Abuse occurs more precisely in top sports, because an athlete oriented to his dream is willing to tolerate more. Hard motivation is often good, so to speak, because a person can pull himself together more easily under fear. On the other hand, it does not bring good results in the long term. Where is the limit?
"It is psychological abuse when it is such a predictable pattern - for example, the athlete already knows in which situations the coach becomes sarcastic, in which situations I can punish. Then we talk about abuse," explained Hannus.
Kerde confirmed that the coach must not threaten or harass the athlete in order to motivate him.
"The fact that it has worked once, twice, the third time may not work anymore is because every person understands that violence is being used on them," said Kerde.
All experts say that sports ethics should be talked about more in society and not only when something monstrous has happened. A lot could also be done in the coaching education system by offering more pedagogy classes. And just like in any relationship, sometimes you just need to apologize in sports.
"This mentality today, certainly not 100 percent, but it can be in some cases where the coach doesn't think it's necessary to apologize, for example, if something goes wrong. /.../ Maybe it's as if you're in a higher position of power, then you're allowed more, " said Ilona Kivisik.
"A good person cannot do top sport. I know a lot of good coaches who are not necessarily good people and I know a lot of good people who are not necessarily good coaches," said Kerde.
Sports psychologist: competition is tough in any case, why should a coach amplify it? (Feb. 23):
Where is the line between abuse and strict training methodology? Does top sport have to be tough and complainers are snowflakes? Sports psychologist Jorgen Matsi stated that blood and tears are in top sports anyway, but this does not mean that the coach should amplify it.
ERR published on Wednesday that several former students accuse figure skating coach Anna Levandi of abuse. Society seems to be divided into two camps - some disapprove of the behavior highlighted in the accusations, while others say that results can only be achieved with a heavy hand. "Some people talk about staying motivated and snowflakes, but that's bullshit. Of course, we have so-called anecdotal examples where elite athlete X or elite athlete Y have reached the top, become very successful after years of abuse. It's easy to build a story that it's been meaningful," argued Matsi. "The question is what will happen to all these remaining children. And in my opinion - this is what I have been saying for years - we in a small country cannot afford the politicization of sports to the extent where we say that the results of top sports are a political tool. We say that we are working towards this goal children through some kind of rigid, strict and violent system and we get maybe some top athletes in return. The cost to society is actually much higher."
Levandi said in the "Eyewitness" interview that there can be no sport without pain, but pain gives results. Does top sport have to be blood and sweat and tears? "Blood and tears are in top sport anyway. Top sport IS hard. By definition, most people will never become top athletes - the top is narrow, we can't all be at the top at the same time. That means the competition is tough anyway, why would a coach amplify it?" thought Matsi. "The argument that Anna Levandi had, that she has to prepare in order to perform in front of tens of thousands at a world championship or an Olympic stadium, and that this preparation includes a tough attitude, is simply wrong. It is as good as if someone who is afraid, to shout, what the hell are you afraid of these dogs, then he would somehow get less afraid of dogs - it won't."
"How to deal with anxiety in front of tens of thousands of pairs of eyes, how to deal with falling and pain, there are very good sports psychological interventions and techniques for this. Coaches could educate themselves in this area. Yelling or humiliating are definitely not part of these techniques," he added. "I don't want to put the 'blame' here on Anna Levandi or other coaches, because, as I said, to some extent it is a backlog of the old-school methodology. Also, aesthetic areas, such as gymnastics, gymnastics, figure skating, where there is an early peak performance, have a structural problem - the coaches are not directly to blame for this either. In a certain sense, the areas themselves, with the way performance is evaluated, are inherently the kind that encourage the coach's behavior, where the coach puts too much pressure on himself and the student."

Sylvia

TBD
The latest news article in Estonian is dated March 5:

Machine translation:

The President of the Estonian Skating Union, Maire Arm, said that the commission investigating Anna Levand's case has started work, but she refused to give more detailed comments referring to the current phases of the investigation.

"All procedural and substantive issues are dealt with during the commission's work, and we will give answers after the work is finished. It is difficult to give a time forecast at the moment, but we will try to find out as soon as possible," she told Delfi.

Two weeks ago, ERR's sports portal wrote that several former students and parents accuse the well-known figure skating coach Anna Levandi of mental and physical abuse. Levandi, who has the category of elite coach, admitted that she is not flawless as a coach, but called most of the accusations slanderous and absurd.

Following the statements received by the Estonian Anti-Doping and Sports Ethics Foundation (EADSE), the Skating Union formed a commission to investigate the allegations. The head researcher of EADSE, Remo Perli, did raise a question about the composition of the committee and found that people outside the sub-union could also be included in it.

The committee formed by the Ice Skating Union includes the president of the sub-union Maire Arm, vice-president Vadim Belobrovtsev (vice-president), board member and international category judge Ere Lusti, and general secretary Jana Kuura.

After Perl's position was published on ETV's "Terevisioon" program, the ice skating union announced that it would involve external experts if necessary, and that EADSE's assessment, according to which the composition of the commission is required and the investigation may not be transparent, is not justified.

Has anyone outside the skating union been approached about this issue to date? "For the sake of the commission's work, we do not consider it possible to give additional comments on the started procedure or to participate in media discussions," Arm replied to Delfi.

"We are going to meet people who are involved in one way or another," Belobrovtsev added on Monday. "I think we'll start with those meetings next week. Then we'll see how everything goes."

"The plan for how we will move forward with the matter, what the next steps will be, more or less, is being drawn up and approved," he added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information