ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
They can say it's going to go forward as scheduled, but that doesn't mean that things will actually go forward as scheduled. Adjustments will have to be made.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
They can say it's going to go forward as scheduled, but that doesn't mean that things will actually go forward as scheduled. Adjustments will have to be made.
As you say and to me "as planned" means at the locations and times, not 'every detail will be as usual'. I think Hersh's tweets list some of the possible modifications. I assume he has sources that have given him hints as to what they are considering.

starrynight

I was reading on twitter that ice rinks are still closed in Britain, with no opening date in sight.

I just hope whatever is chosen is fair on skaters and feds all around the world.

It will be really disappointing if Olympic spots end up being selected on an unfair basis.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I don't see how this works for Skate Canada, with the 14-day mandatory quarantine for everyone entering the country. I guess maybe they'd try to get an exception to create a quarantine bubble for athletes and officials at the arena?

Unless things are very different by that time-- particularly regarding American travelers-- they better not get their hopes up, AND our governments best protect their citizens and reject any kind of exception.

I love skating, but I have zero interest in Skate Canada going on at all. Ontario's (ignorant and ridiculous) premier + Toronto Mayor made promises/allowances for the Blue Jays & MLB to operate here under special rules, and I hope they're never forgiven for it. Thank GOD the federal government didn't let it happen.

You're assuming there will be an Olympics.

Fair point. At least in 2022.

Do the Olympics get out of the Euro & World cup's way, switching to odd years from here on out? :p

MsZem

I see the sea
There are multiple vaccine candidates in stage III trials. Medical care is improving and there's a ton of scientific research that will help develop more effective ways to diagnose, treat and prevent COVlD-19. Yes, I'm assuming that there will be an Olympics in 2022.

If I'm wrong, we can all be miserable together - not just because of the lost Olympics, but more so because of what it will mean for things to still be so bad that they cannot be held.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story

The Olympics are in 18 months.

The most optimistic scenario
  • a vaccine is ready for distribution by October/November
  • distribution begins immediately
  • Herd immunity is gained by the 2nd quarter of 2021
  • May/June 2021 borders open and international flights restart
That leaves 8-9 months to hold all of the Olympic qualifiers and to prepare for the Olympics.

So being realistic, it is not looking likely the games will go ahead as planned.

starrynight

Unless the Olympics are held as an exclusively for TV event and the athletes are quarantined and isolated?

The TV rights are worth so much for the Olympics I could see money motivating it.

A lot of winter Olympic sports like skiing and snowboarding are better to watch on TV anyway.

MsZem

I see the sea
The Olympics are in 18 months.

The most optimistic scenario
  • a vaccine is ready for distribution by October/November
  • distribution begins immediately
  • Herd immunity is gained by the 2nd quarter of 2021
  • May/June 2021 borders open and international flights restart
That leaves 8-9 months to hold all of the Olympic qualifiers and to prepare for the Olympics.

So being realistic, it is not looking likely the games will go ahead as planned.
If it's feasible to hold the Olympics, I'm sure that the IOC and the relevant federations will figure out a way to make modifications to the qualifying procedures.

The Olympics might get canceled for public health reasons, but not because the qualifying schedule would be abbreviated. As starrynight noted (and we all know), there's just too much money involved for them to give up that easily.

Debbie S

I think IOC would move heaven and earth to hold the Olys, b/c of the money/profit issues already noted. Even if they hold w/o spectators or limited spectators, I think they would still have it if there was any way the athletes would be able to compete. As noted above, the biggest money comes from TV and sponsor rights, not ticket sales.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
So Russian nationals, US nationals, Japan nationals, China nationals and French nationals previews. :lol: That works fine for Russia as they can field plenty of competitors in all disciplines and lets some ladies have a GP event that wouldn't otherwise get one. Weak for everybody else. France has one man, one dance team and one lady. Going to be a pretty quick event, but maybe Ponsaro might get to skate. :cheer2: Poor Canada. Med and Hanyu need to hurry back so they can have an event. :lol: Oh, well, it's the best they can do under the circumstances.

And, the ISU is leaving it up to local broadcasters for TV. I suspect that means little to no coverage unless Russia decides to broadcast. NBC might show SKAM. Nothing from China or France. Japan maybe. Canada ??? Glad I did not renew my NBC sports gold. That makes me sad. I'm willing to watch pretty much anything.

Last edited:

Hedwig

Antique member

GP will be difficult- the competitions will be domestic plus skaters who train in the respective country or can travel there easily (so probably GP France a mini Euros for instance)

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
It looks like from that that competitors training in many other European countries could go to France if the travel restrictions remain as they are.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
Currently:
US: travel restrictions for EU, China & UK
Canada: Only eligible foreign nationals, and the eligibility rules are quite restrictive, plus travellers have to quarantine for 14 days
France: No restrictions for EU/UK/South Korea/Canada/Australia. Travellers from elsewhere needs to be able to demonstrate a negative test less than 72 hours before the flight, or quarantine on arrival for 14 days
Russia: International flights slowly resuming, but only with countries that can demonstrate they have CV under control, and visas may be restricted to those studying/carrying out essential jobs
China: I don't think any countries are excluded, but arrivals have to quarantine for 14 days in a centralised facility
Japan: Most major skating countries fall under the list of countries from which travellers are banned.

So France has the only realistic chance of putting on an event with a field even close to normal. Canada & US could in theory, but how many skaters who usually train in those countries are actually there at the moment, and how many have gone home?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
There are athletes from other countries training in both Canada and the US who would be eligible for their respective GP events. For Canada, they have some pretty good foreign athletes many of which do Skate Canada anyway.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
Currently:
US: travel restrictions for EU, China & UK
Canada: Only eligible foreign nationals, and the eligibility rules are quite restrictive, plus travellers have to quarantine for 14 days
France: No restrictions for EU/UK/South Korea/Canada/Australia. Travellers from elsewhere needs to be able to demonstrate a negative test less than 72 hours before the flight, or quarantine on arrival for 14 days
Russia: International flights slowly resuming, but only with countries that can demonstrate they have CV under control, and visas may be restricted to those studying/carrying out essential jobs
China: I don't think any countries are excluded, but arrivals have to quarantine for 14 days in a centralised facility
Japan: Most major skating countries fall under the list of countries from which travellers are banned.

So France has the only realistic chance of putting on an event with a field even close to normal. Canada & US could in theory, but how many skaters who usually train in those countries are actually there at the moment, and how many have gone home?

Two months is a long time in the current situation. We can always hope travel bans will be relaxed.

I want all the cardboard fans to be holding up the FSU banner.:)

MsZem

I see the sea

Colonel Green

IAM’s vast foreign roster seem to be largely in-country, so the dance field at SCI would be both diverse and :kickass:

The ladies’ field, on the other hand...:gallopin1:yikes::violin:

Most of the TCC’s foreign students are in their home countries, as I understand it, except for Jason, who I guess would become the favourite in the men’s event.

Pairs, I know there are a couple of foreign teams in Oakville, but it’s have to be mostly domestic.

carriecmu0503

There are athletes from other countries training in both Canada and the US who would be eligible for their respective GP events. For Canada, they have some pretty good foreign athletes many of which do Skate Canada anyway.

And most of those foreign athletes are not actually in Canada right now. They are in their home countries. I don’t know that Hanyu or Medvedeva are in Canada right now.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Is Miyahara still in Toronto? I recall seeing a social media post of her there when rinks opened up.

manhn

Is Medvedeva not in Toronto anymore?

Marie France’s rink can field an entire international GP Dance competition.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Medvedeva is currently in Moscow.

Skate Canada dance :cheer2: :cheer2::inavoid::watch:

Cup of Russia ladies and pairs :watch::watch:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information