US STAR GYMNAST DIES

olympic

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I saw this news on Twitter earlier tonight and it made me so sad. He was such a gorgeous gymnast and a great guy. He will be missed for sure. Sending lots of love and prayers to his loved ones. RIP :fragile: :(

FiveRinger

I don't remember him competing in the 70s, but I do remember him trying to make a comeback attempt in 1992 and I really respected that. I watch videos of the past and it was lovely, so much more fun to watch. He was so innovative. RIP.

olympic

Sadness. I saw Kurt Thomas (and Bart Connor) at practice at UCLA before a competition in the late 70's. He was an amazing gymnast.

RIP.

I just remember in that time frame how quickly Thomas and Connor elevated US men's gymnastics. AT 1979 Worlds, He won the silver only behind Alexander Ditiatin and Connor was 5th. They broke thru to the podium as a team to Bronze and there was a feeling that the US was going to do well at Moscow (then again, Thomas wasn't named to the team IIRC?)

Erin

Banned Member
I just remember in that time frame how quickly Thomas and Connor elevated US men's gymnastics. AT 1979 Worlds, He won the silver only behind Alexander Ditiatin and Connor was 5th. They broke thru to the podium as a team to Bronze and there was a feeling that the US was going to do well at Moscow (then again, Thomas wasn't named to the team IIRC?)

After the boycott was announced, Thomas turned pro and didn’t participate in Olympic Trials, which were held after it was clear there was no way the US was going. That was back in the days of strict amateurism and Thomas surely needed the money given the expenses of participating in gymnastics. If the US were not boycotting, he absolutely would have competed in Olympic Trials and been named to the team, barring injury of course.

Such sad news during an already tough year. Kathy Johnson Clarke and Bart Conner, among others, have posted touching tributes on Twitter.

Lynn226

I found this video of banned gymnastics skills in YouTube. The Thomas Salto is included.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Wow, those were some exciting moves. I recall seeing some of them back-in-the-day. Taken as a whole, looking back, I suppose these moves were banned as being too risky and/or unpredictable?

I'm so sorry to hear about Kurt Thomas' passing. That's very sad happening so suddenly as it did. My condolences to his family and friends.

More on basilar artery, though obviously none of this is necessarily related to Thomas' basilar artery injury which led to his stroke:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information