Chris Knierim to retire - Alexa to seek new partner

personwhoishere

Effective immediately - citing his depression and a series of injuries.
They won't be going to Worlds.

This of course means Calalang and Johnson are headed to Montreal - that announcement here:

Last edited:

heartyxo

PLOT TWIST :eek:

They’ve achieved a ton though and they should be very proud especially after everything they’ve been through. The best pair the US has had in a long time.

Alexa is an amazing skater and I hope she finds a great partner and more success!

I’m excited for Jess and Brian going to worlds- I feel like they’re the future top US pair like the Knierims have been.

euterpe

I had a feeling things would turn out this way. Chris seemed worn out and tired of performing.
I'm thrilled for Jessica and Brian. They should have been the first choice for Worlds anyway.

Stefanie

I am surprised they didn't finish out the season but if Chris was struggling that badly it sounds like this should have happened sooner. Glad they had their good skate at Nationals and best wishes for them.
I am surprised they didn't just skate the LP at 4CC then. Why fly all the way out there to just do the short program? Why not withdraw beforehand?

Best of luck to both of them!

oleada

Well, I’m sorry to hear that Chris is struggling with depression. I hope he can get help and stepping away from the sport helps him if he feels that’s what he needs.

Alexa is an amazing skater and I hope she can find a good partner.

love skating

Clueless American
I'm so sad to hear of Chris' struggles with depression. I sure hope he gets the help he needs. Depression is awful. When you're in the pit of it it's like this black cloud over you. Many with depression can't even get out of bed so I can see how he wouldn't want to continue with the competition. Good for Alexa for being so supportive - what a difficult situation for her to be in. Glad they had their At Last moment at Nationals and hope she can find a great partner cause she's so talented! I wish them both only the best in the future!

Carolla5501

I know she wants to make the 2022 Olympic team but I feel like it’s a incredible long shot. That’s less than 2 years to pull a team together

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I admire Chris for being open about depression as well as his physical injuries. More athletes are willing to talk about their struggles and I think that makes it easier for other people to seek help and to realize they're not alone. Best wishes to them both and I'm glad they had their National moment in their final season.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I know she wants to make the 2022 Olympic team but I feel like it’s a incredible long shot. That’s less than 2 years to pull a team together

I think she can do it, if she finds someone with strong, high level pairs experience, with no citizenship issues, and who meshes with her, style-wise. She's a very strong pairs skater, and I think she'll have the ability to try out with some really strong pairs men. Including some who may not appear to be available at the moment.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Not shocked. I joked about him looking like he was going to the dentist at Nats but now I feel sorry for it, he clearly is seriously depressed.

For me, the worst thing in life is being stuck in something I've already moved on from, so props to Chris. He's still so young, I hope he finds his passion elsewhere.

As for Alexa, good partners are hard to find but maybe with her track record she'll get lucky, she certainly has a lot of talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information