What did Weaver & Poje lack

The Observer

She had stiff knees and ankles and was always playing catch up to him, which made them look mismatched. Overall, she often looked like she was running after him and he was disconnected and disaffected. Both their acting and the skating styles exaggerated their lack of cohesion as a team.

They never moved "as one" like P/C or the Shibs at their best and they lacked the personality and choreographic vision on the ice to pull off genuine quirk, exemplified by teams like Piper and Paul or Pechalat and Bourzat.

Well, yes, they had different personalities (although that can sometimes be an advantage for a team). Kaitlyn could be very brash & outspoken, (particularly in her early years with Andrew). Andrew is tall & handsome, but his height could sometimes work against him (eg. the twizzles) and he doesn't have the personality of Scott or Paul.

But I think their biggest contribution to Canadian dance was helping to keep Canada with 3 ice dance spots for quite a few years. Kaitlyn said in an interview a few years ago that keeping 3 spots for Canada was one of the things she was proudest of, and I think that's true.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Weaver & Poje .. also had trouble beating teams like Bobrova & Soloviev... and many others most of the time... So what did they lack.

I've actually been avoiding this thread like the plague, but I tiptoed in to answer the thread query, w/o reading any other comments than your opening post.

W/P lacked nothing. What do you lack? :blah:

As far as your contention that W/P "had trouble beating B/S ... most of the time." My response is: :rofl:

We are talking about one of the most fcuked-up, politicized fs disciplines. No team is perfect. W/P never gave up. They fought with heart, courage and chutzpah. They do not need your or anyone else's put-down obituary rundown, not even in FSU Trash Can. :kickass: Nor do W/P fans need your emotional button-pushing.

aftershocks

Banned Member
And I will add: W/P's fight brought ice dance fans so many wonderful moments and great memories to cherish along the way. What they achieved in what turned out to be their final season won the gold in my heart. ❤

In the end, what great skating athletes bring to our hearts matters more than any mother lode of mere medal hardware. For most years, fans must look up results to remember who won what. :COP: It's the unforgettable moments our favorite skaters bring to us that requires no research to remember. Thank you Kaitlyn and Andrew for all you endured and overcame, and for everything you gave through your passion for ice dance! :love: :encore:

I still haven't read this thread, because I'm skeptical of threads in which the title is deliberately created to be a button-pushing putdown rundown.

laviemn

Every time this thread dies a natural death, someone who's pissed that this thread exists at all makes another post and bumps it back to the front page, so anyone who missed it had a month and a half to read all about "What Weaver and Poje Lacked". :rofl:

Even if this thread was started by a troll, consider that it's a indicator of respect for their abilities that a lot of people took the time to discuss this seriously, which would not have happened if everyone found the idea of Weaver/Poje as World Champions to be ridiculous. I don't remember much discussion about "What Did Bobrova and Soloviev Lack" when they retired.

Amantide

Every time this thread dies a natural death, someone who's pissed that this thread exists at all makes another post and bumps it back to the front page, so anyone who missed it had a month and a half to read all about "What Weaver and Poje Lacked". :rofl:

So right about it. Indeed, it's the first time I see this thread. :lol:

I don't remember much discussion about "What Did Bobrova and Soloviev Lack" when they retired.

Have W&P retired? I had no idea. :eek:

laviemn

Have W&P retired? I had no idea. :eek:

I'm convinced there's some superstition among ice dancers about actually using the word "retired". I think the phrase W/P used was "stepping away from their competitive career" which sounds retired to me considering their ages.

Sylvia

TBD
From earlier in this thread:
Their June press release -- before it was known they would participate in CBC's Battle of the Blades (which tuns through the end of October) stated they would "evaluate their future plans and will provide an update on their career later this season" -- is linked in their GSD thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/weaver-and-poje-step-away-from-competition.105714/
For those not following the Battle of the Blades thread in GSD, both Weaver and Poje and their respective partners are in the final 3 (finale is on Thursday).

aftershocks

Banned Member
... a lot of people took the time to discuss this seriously, which would not have happened if everyone found the idea of Weaver/Poje as World Champions to be ridiculous.

The possibility for W/P to become World champions was certainly never ridiculous. It should have happened for them in 2014 at the very least. W/P's chances to medal at Worlds or win Worlds obviously was hampered by being behind an extraordinary compatriot team in V/M for most of their competitive career. What W/P struggled to endure should take nothing away from their talent and worth as a team.

The thread title was designed to be a putdown and an emotional button-pusher. The topic could just as easily have been worded with greater respect for the purposes of garnering serious discussion, without the OTT button-pushing. As phrased, the title panders to negative critics, as well as pokes at the emotions of supportive fans who are surely already experiencing sadness and 'missing them' withdrawal pangs.

BOTB though has been a wonderful W/P withdrawal reliever. :)

Amantide

I'm convinced there's some superstition among ice dancers about actually using the word "retired". I think the phrase W/P used was "stepping away from their competitive career" which sounds retired to me considering their ages.

Yeah, that's retirement. I saw a video of Kaitlyn in that Canadian show, but I thought it was old.

The Observer

It's been mentioned on other threads that Andrew may be interested in continuing his academic studies, so it's normal for skaters over 30 to pursue other things.

Plus I think they could see that they were getting overtaken internationally last year at Worlds by the 2 Russian teams, and almost overtaken at home by Gilles & Poirier.

So it makes sense for all those reasons.

barbarafan

It's been mentioned on other threads that Andrew may be interested in continuing his academic studies, so it's normal for skaters over 30 to pursue other things.

Plus I think they could see that they were getting overtaken internationally last year at Worlds by the 2 Russian teams, and almost overtaken at home by Gilles & Poirier.

So it makes sense for all those reasons.
Maybe they are just tired of Skate Canada doing their best to help G/P win over W/P yr after yr. Being better was not enough....they had to be rrreeeeeaaaallllyyyy better to beat them.

The Observer

Maybe they are just tired of Skate Canada doing their best to help G/P win over W/P yr after yr. Being better was not enough....they had to be rrreeeeeaaaallllyyyy better to beat them.

As mentioned above, there were several reasons, personal & professional, why W/P have decided to move on. It's normal for ice dance teams who are over 30 and who want to pursue other interests.

You're not a fan of G&P, but they have been getting higher marks, both domestically & internationally -- they beat W/P in the FD at Four Continents last season as well as Nationals. Plus the 2 Russian teams overtook W&P at Worlds.

As Kaitlyn said, one of the things they can be proud of is working hard to help Canada maintain 3 dance spots for quite a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information