From Russia with Love [#34]: Autumn 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
But for instance Medvedeva? Is she in better state?
(am not even counting Medvedeva nor Samodurova, who am sure will show up and be out of top 10 there)
I don't believe Medvedeva will make it to the GPF and I don't believe she has a luxury not to show up at the nationals if she wants any B competitions or GP next year.

Zagitova has GPs with Kostornaya - she has a chance for a GPF. At the nationals not only these 3 will beat her, but also Valieva and perhaps some more juniors (am wishing them all to stay healthy of course, so not counting any WD).
While Sambo70 will send them all to compete I don't believe RFSF will put their money on Zagitova - she is useless for 2022 Olys and the next generation needs experience.

Perky Shae Lynn

I know Medvedeva said numerous times she only wants to compete for Russia, but I just don't see how she can stay competitive with the new crop of Russian girls. If she really wants to continue her international career (i.e. go to Worlds), her best bet would be switching countries. I cannot imagine her making the Russian team again. Hope I am wrong.

Fiero425

:sasha1:
I know Medvedeva said numerous times she only wants to compete for Russia, but I just don't see how she can stay competitive with the new crop of Russian girls. If she really wants to continue her international career (i.e. go to Worlds), her best bet would be switching countries. I cannot imagine her making the Russian team again. Hope I am wrong.

Commentators have been raving about the Russian talent coming up and taking over! It wasn't but a few years ago they were struggling to put together a team, now look at them! They may still have to dig up Plushenko to anchor the men in 2022 Beijing! :D Here in the States, we have a few girls in reserve, but so young they won't be able to skate internationally for 2-3 years! Reminds me of when Mirai won Nationals in '08 and couldn't do anything with it; 2 other girls were also too young! They had to dip down to 7th place to field a World team IIRC! :duh:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Unless she could get the ISU to change the rules, I cannot fathom the RFSF would ever release her to skate for another country. I mean she could skate, but she'd never get to the Olympics again.

Zagitova also will have to make a decision by the end of this season regarding her future. She's extremely popular in Japan and can continue to skate in shows there and Russia and do very well financially. The downside is the travel and amount of time she's away from home. That can be exhausting. Or, she can look beyond skating and see what she wants to do. Apparently, college isn't a priority for her at this point like it was for Turskaya and Sotskova, but there are many other options. She's still a teenager and has a lot of opportunities from which to choose. But, if she and Medvedeva fail to make the Euro/World team this season, which is a good possibility, they will probably have a long talk with their families about the future. Or, they can do GPs for maybe another year and then challenger and internal Russian competitions. The problem is there are only so many GP spots and Russia will max theirs out with their top skaters. Over time, that list of top skaters will include whatever juniors debut as seniors and less and less of the older skaters. But, they are all still very young and have multiple opportunities open to them. Russia winning consecutive OGMs in ladies skating means there are lots of young talent looking to be the next star. The same thing happened in Japan after Arikawa's win. It happened in Korea after Kim and those girls who were 4-6 at the time are now emerging as real talent. Right now, Korea probably has depth second to Russia and may have passed Japan for the time being.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 40371

Unless she could get the ISU to change the rules, I cannot fathom the RSFS would ever release her to skate for another country. I mean she could skate, but she'd never get to the Olympics again.

Zagitova also will have to make a decision by the end of this season regarding her future. She's extremely popular in Japan and can continue to skate in shows there and Russia and do very well financially. The downside is the travel and amount of time she's away from home. That can be exhausting. Or, she can look beyond skating and see what she wants to do. Apparently, college isn't a priority for her at this point like it was for Turskaya and Sotskova, but there are many other options. She's still a teenager and has a lot of opportunities from which to choose. But, if she and Medvedeva fail to make the Euro/World team this season, which is a good possibility, they will probably have a long talk with their families about the future. Or, they can do GPs for maybe another year and then challenger and internal Russian competitions. The problem is there are only so many GP spots and Russia will max theirs out with their top skaters. Over time, that list of top skaters will include whatever juniors debut as seniors and less and less of the older skaters. But, they are all still very young and have multiple opportunities open to them.
Also, she is the Ambassador/Mascot/Cheerleader or whatever that they are calling it these days for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics for Russia. If she initiates a move away now, that result in a huge backlash against her, and for her to move to another country and compete she should start the move now for the 2-year wait to be fulfilled.

ninjapirate

Zagitova and Medvedeva will be skating in the grand prix as long as they're able to win medals there and they don't have any skating projects that clash with skating on the grand prix. Staying relevant is more important than any lost prestige from getting beat.

Perky Shae Lynn

Also, she is the Ambassador/Mascot/Cheerleader or whatever that they are calling it these days for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics for Russia. If she initiates a move away now, that result in a huge backlash against her, and for her to move to another country and compete she should start the move now for the 2-year wait to be fulfilled.
That's true. I think Medvedeva hangs on in some capacity for 2 more years. I can see her going to college in Canada, and doing shows in North America and Asia, with TV hosting / Averbukh shows in Russia sprinkled in. I was puzzled that people didn't realize that her move to Canada was not just about skating. She is building a life outside of skating, and learning English on a different level - while maintaining strong ties with Russia. She's very strategic with her life choices.

Last edited:

Dobre

Well, everyone could just give up now . . . or they could keep competing in the sport they love and bringing in medals or GPF berths and see if their country might just need them at an Olympic Games when the others hit puberty or someone gets injured or it turns out that the next generation--the one after Trusova--are less rocklike in competition. The number of points Trusova and Scherbakova can currently bring in is a very genuine reality.

But then we look across the way a little bit at the men's field and we can see that potential points are not always enough to guarantee one a berth at the Olympic Games a month in the future much less two years.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I think a lot depends on the competitive nature of the individual. Pogo, Radionova and Turskaya just didn't have it in them to continue and continue to drop in the Russian rankings. Add in injuries and they all opted out when the Zag/Meg generation hit seniors. Sotskova is still trying, but it's not working for her at all and I don't see her continuing beyond this season. Samodurova and Konstantinova are both hanging in even though their parents have told them it might be time to reconsider going forward. Certainly a number of skaters are still trying to get to senior nationals via the Russian cup series/challengers as any hope of funding is contingent upon doing so. So, there are a number of factors that determine who will stay when the "next generation" reaches the senior level. And, certainly in 2022, there will be a brand now group of 15 year olds to contend with. Timing is everything in Russian ladies on who is likely to make the Olympic team. If this was the Olympic year, I'd be confident who was going and had a good chance to medal. No idea who will make the team in two years. To be honest, making the Euro/World teams this year should be clear, but on any given day, there are 6 skaters who could theoretically win. Given the huge benefits of Olympic medals in Russia, I'd say that is the primary goal of most of the skaters and their families. Beyond that, they have to decide if the intensive training is worth while.

We'll see how Medvedeva scores against Trusova and Kihira this weekend. :watch:

soogar

I don't really understand why people are counting out the older skaters. The Olympics is 2 years away. A lot can happen in 2 years and people seem to take for granted that these young kids are going to stay small and not get injured doing those jumps. Medvedeva, Alina, Brady and Liza need to hang in there because those kids are going to hit puberty right around the Olympics and then all bets are off.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Because we don't yet know the names od the next kids. The 2022 olympic champion is 12 now :p

They would have to be at least 13 now to compete at the Olympics in 2022. June 30, 2006 is the youngest a potential 2022 Olympian in figure skating could be. Just saying

hanca

Values her privacy
I don't know. There are many things that can be criticized about Sambo-70 but they don't shy away from competition. If you look at how that rink is run there is no reason to believe that they wouldn't throw all 4 into the mix and let the best skaters go to worlds.
Exactly, three for the podium and one spare, in case one has to withdraw.

hanca

Values her privacy
Yes, because the Russian federation will be so keen to release her!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Who has both? Kamila has a 4T. None of the other current juniors have landed 3A or quads, though I'm sure they're working on it. Girls like Sofia Samodelkina and Sofia Akatieva are too young.
Rumor is several are working on having both. If Liu manages to win the JGPF, there will be skaters with both or more with multiple quads

skatingguy

decently
I don't think that this year's Worlds will tell us much about who win the Ladies Olympic title. If I've checked this correctly, the last time that the Ladies World Champion from two years before the Olympics won the Olympics was in 1980 when 1978 World Champion Annett Potzsch won the gold medal.

Eeyora1

I don't think that this year's Worlds will tell us much about who win the Ladies Olympic title. If I've checked this correctly, the last time that the Ladies World Champion from two years before the Olympics won the Olympics was in 1980 when 1978 World Champion Annett Potzsch won the gold medal.

Actually I think it was Shizuka Arakawa who won worlds in 2004 and the Olympics in 2006.

hanca

Values her privacy
We probably do. The first year juniors from this season are the youngest who can do the Olympics - Kamila Valieva's age group.
The future Olympic champion may be Valieva’s age group, but that doesn’t mean that she is known today. Zagitova missed her first junior eligible season because at that time she wasn’t ’good enough’. Zagitova did only one junior season (her second junior eligible season). In theory, the future Olympic champion can be any Russian girl of Valieva’s age group that is currently considered mediocre.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
I'm willing to bet that the highest-placing Russian lady in Tokyo will be someone who is already a senior. (If the Olympics were this year, I'd place Trusova as the odds-on favourite, but given the timeline, Kostornaia is clearly the chosen one.)

hanca

Values her privacy
I'm willing to bet that the highest-placing Russian lady in Tokyo will be someone who is already a senior. (If the Olympics were this year, I'd place Trusova as the odds-on favourite, but given the timeline, Kostornaia is clearly the chosen one.)
By the time Olympics come, Kostornaya and Trusova will be in Medvedeva’s shoes, being on senior level for three years, same as Medvedeva was in 2018. Three years is quite a long time to stay on top.

wickedwitch

By the time Olympics come, Kostornaya and Trusova will be in Medvedeva’s shoes, being on senior level for three years, same as Medvedeva was in 2018. Three years is quite a long time to stay on top.
It's a slightly different situation, because Medvedeva really had no competition while they'll have each other. Plus, since there's three of them, there's better odds that at least one stays healthy and keeps their jumps.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Kostornaia is the most complete skater today but I am not sure she can beat a 2-4 quad clean performance even if she lands both of her triple axels. Luckily (or by design) she is not competing against Anna or Sasha. I am not sure she can beat Kihira if Kihira has a quad, in addition to her beautiful triple axels. I really want Alena to win herGPs and make it to the GPF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information