Lubov Ilyushechkina and Charlie Bilodeau Cheer Thread

Mad for Skating

Looks like five teams competing for two spots in Montreal. Nationals is going to be interesting.

Agree! My money is on Moore-Towers/Marinaro for the first spot, but I think it's pretty open for the second. If Luba and Charlie can nail the triple twist and make minimal errors, I think it could be within reach.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Cami & Drew have great programs this season (two of my favorite pairs programs this season), but they still have to match their exquisite abilites with consistent technical excecution and increased confidence. There's no way to count out Walsh/Michaud, as they are great competitors with huge self-belief, despite not really being all that impactful or wowsa on their elements. W/M are just generally very consistent when it counts. If Luba/Dylan have got things together and are executing well and their fp turns out better than expected, then they will probably be the second choice behind Kirsten/Michael. So, it's more than likely a battle for second between W/M and Luba/Charlie, unless Cami/Drew find their mojo and kick it clear out of the arena at Cdn Nats.

If Luba/Charlie continue to improve at a fast pace and find better music selections and increase their difficulty, over time it should be possible for them to surpass Kirsten/Michael. I say that because by this point, I don't think K&M have overall a compelling 'it' factor, nor any explosive elements. K&M generally are watchable and consistent, particularly on their jumps and throws, and they have increased in confidence. Plus, they have better programs this season from Marcotte that can grow over the course of the season if they put a bit more heart and emotion into them. Their programs have cool, yet derivative moves that albeit Marcotte was clever at pulling together from her own work and recent work from other choreographers.

Possibly, Gauthier, M-F Dubreuil & team will find material that's more compelling for Luba/Charlie going forward.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Here's their SP debut (66.24) to "My Funny Valentine" performed by Michael Bublé: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_13PxyAsE_g

Looking at their debut performance again after some time has passed, ITA with those who say they have really nice lines, and that Luba is bringing out the elegance in Charlie. This music indeed is safe and the choreo is fairly basic with a bit of exploratory nods. They execute with careful deliberation since they are still learning each other's rhythms. I do love the variation attitude or arabesque-style blade-grab Luba does before going into the death spiral.

They are still a work-in-progress, but I think the potential is fairly vibrating in the air around them. Plus, Luba has clearly grown in self-confidence after her Cirque stint.

bcash

They are an attractive team (though I still prefer the chemistry between Lubov and Dylan) and have a very pleasing style. More importantly they look happy skating together.

Their twist and throw are quite small at this point, but death spiral and lifts are lovely. Very impressed that Lubov landed the 3T and 3T2T combo even though the triples might have been under. That to me reads as confidence.

We indeed saw more substance in the SP this time around, but both programs though super lovely seem just lacking a bit character and uniqueness. Love the costumes---very tasteful.

CassAgain

Y'all. I was trying not to uber this. Just be a casual fan and watch casually and, you know casual.

:cheer2::encore::oksana1::TnD1::violin::GnP1::gallopin1

So that went well. See you at 2:00 A.M. live from Beijing and the like. Stocking up on Zantac now. Looking out for that illegal Canadians feed. Ubering away.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I just watched the FS video. OMG! Those lifts are spectacular. I was screaming and laughing at the same time.
Lubov is one lucky woman to have her skating career revived in Canada, and Canada is lucky to have her.
I never really warmed up to Charlie in the past but the joy on his face as he skates with Lubov is irresistible.
Hopping on the uber train right now ❤️

Jeanne7

I just watched the FS video. OMG! Those lifts are spectacular. I was screaming and laughing at the same time.
Lubov is one lucky woman to have her skating career revived in Canada, and Canada is lucky to have her.
I never really warmed up to Charlie in the past but the joy on his face as he skates with Lubov is irresistible.
Hopping on the uber train right now ❤

Her time with Cirque du Soleil really honed those lifts!

aftershocks

Banned Member
We indeed saw more substance in the SP this time around, but both programs though super lovely seem just lacking a bit character and uniqueness. Love the costumes---very tasteful.

I agree with your assessment. Although as I mentioned in the Canadian pairs thread, it pays to keep in mind that Luba/Charlie are a new partnership so they are still learning each other's timing and rhythms. Plus neither competed for a year. With that in mind, they have made significant progress since they first paired. Also, even though more character and uniqueness in their choices will be needed going forward, I think L&C show more expressiveness and character than the young Russian teams at this event (who excel more technically). Right now, L&C apparently aren't looking for intricate programs nor do they need dramatic, overly challenging music at this stage of their developing partnership. Rome wasn't built in a day. ;)

The music they chose is safe and pleasant for both programs. They don't appear to be trying to strike an adventurous note with music and choreo while they are adjusting to each other and figuring out their style and what will set them apart. At least they are putting the 3-twist out there as a new team. They need more mileage on it, but it's important to show it at this level. As you noted, their death spirals are lovely and they match well with nice lines and smooth flow over the ice. The dramatic ending lifts in the FS are going to be important weapons. :encore: Luba is establishing some unique signature moves with elegant touches, and that's another asset for them.

It's definitely evident they are happy and enjoying this new adventure. That bodes well for them as they continue to move forward.

Last edited:

canadianskater

Hopping on the uber train right now ❤

Same I never really liked Charlie when he skated with Julianne. But he’s growing on me with this new partnership. I’m so excited to see them grow as a pair.

aftershocks

Banned Member
What's with not liking Charlie though? He's his same, very likeable self -- only growing and expanding his horizons with a new partner on the ice, which doesn't negate what he accomplished skating with Julianne Seguin. For whatever reason, I guess Charlie apparently didn't appeal to some fans previously. For me, Charlie has always been very appealing, kind of quirky & humorous, and very French. :) It's to be expected that we may see different aspects to his physicality and his personality with a different partner.

shan

I love the LP!!! It's lovely and flows so nicely. They have a nice ease of movement and work together so well. The dismount of the first lift is beautiful; I love how it swings around. And the last lift is amazing! I love all of their lifts. Regarding the music choice: I do like the orchestration and the music itself, but I wish there was a bit less of the vocals (sorry fans of Michel Rivard). That being said, I think they make the best of it. :)

Here's a picture of the pairs medalists. I love how Lubov is lifting Charlie. :lol:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I really love their LP, after another watch of it at SC. I think it captures their love of what they do so, so well. The joy on their faces might border on ridiculous if you're not into it. ;) They're so well packaged, and their lifts seem to improve each time out. They are really benefiting from having such reportedly great previous partnerships-- regardless of ending.

I'm not even thinking about what the future holds, and I'm just enjoying them now. I hope I can be so zen the rest of the season. :p

Rock2

I love the LP!!! It's lovely and flows so nicely. They have a nice ease of movement and work together so well. The dismount of the first lift is beautiful; I love how it swings around. And the last lift is amazing! I love all of their lifts. Regarding the music choice: I do like the orchestration and the music itself, but I wish there was a bit less of the vocals (sorry fans of Michel Rivard). That being said, I think they make the best of it. :)

Agree on all fronts. When I saw that first lift in Finlandia I thought it was an error and he was dropping her until I saw her hold the position as they turned. As stunning as the last lift in its own way.

And you're right on wrt the music. Awful song and vocals, made palatable by the best possible orchestration of it. Allows them to tap into the gentility of it. Won't hurt them at all, which was something I feared.

Mad for Skating

I think the "Lubodeau" lift, has a nice harmonious blending for both partners names, + it sounds cool, LOL!

I love this so much!
Btw, does anyone have a non-geoblocked video of their gala performance? I'm from the US so NBC is blocking all the videos :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information