Lubov Ilyushechkina and Charlie Bilodeau Cheer Thread

shan

no.......I don't believe LUbov&Dylan ever announced theirs. You only saw it first competition. Not sure what Julianne and Charlie used to do.....Maybe he wants to do a TV reveal........Seriously I have no idea.

I do remember that Lubov and Dylan announced theirs in an interview one season (I can't remember which!). I'm looking forward to any music news and to the new season!! I'm so happy that Lubov is going to compete again. :rofl: at the idea of a TV reveal.

edited to add: Great picture from Charlie Bilodeau.

barbarafan

Seems like they will only be competing their short program at Quebec summer competition

Mad for Skating

Seems like they will only be competing their short program at Quebec summer competition

Aw, I was hoping to see both programs, but I'll take what I can get. Good luck to them!

Rock2

I watched them not expecting much because they are a new team, it's early in the season and neither have competed in a few years. Even keeping that in mind, I was disappointed.

It started with them on the warmup and I was like "hey that dress looks like her FEELING GOOD SP dress with Dylan in their first year". What do they end up skating to? Buble. Kill me now. I'm already rolling my eyes. A safe and unimaginative choice.

They don't seem to have any timing between them yet on the throw and twist. That throw will be the loop on the GP is my bet. I'm doubtful they will have a serviceable 3Tw on the GP so they are facing the challenge of being slotted low by international panels.

On the positive side they have potential for some really great lines. I liked the beginning of the program - good stretch, blade work, transitions...but I soon got bored. She looks really rested and healthy and her 3T was higher than I remember.

They have a lot of ground to cover before the GP. I hope this was just first event jitters and they improve at a rapid rate. I'll keep the faith since they are just getting started.

dramagrrl

Completely bored by the music choice and choreo. Was hoping they would do something much more interesting, and make more use of Lubov's lines and flexibility.

Vase

Completely bored by the music choice and choreo. Was hoping they would do something much more interesting, and make more use of Lubov's lines and flexibility.

I thought the same, though I think they’ll switch the lift to something interesting. Maybe they wanted to get out on the ice and compete together and kept it simple. But I know they are new and takes time. I am a big Lubov fan, I hope to see a connection between them as she had with Dylan.

Mad for Skating

Some things to work on, but overall I liked the program. I’m so proud that she landed her triple toe - I don’t want to hear anyone complaining about her side-by-sides! The mistake on the throw looked like a standard mishap, nothing concerning.

They might just be doing a double twist because it’s the beginning of the season. I do hope they will upgrade to a triple soon, but tbh they got a decent score for a double twist and a mistake on the throw.

Her air position in the lift is exquisite, I know it’s not the most complex one she’s done but it looked clean and solid.

Now for the program itself...I know many people are bummed that it doesn’t have more of Luba’s signature transitions, but tbh I think it’s a solid program for a new pair. There’s nothing jarring in the choreography, and they seem comfortable with it. Luba skated to a Michael Buble song in her first season with Dylan and it worked, so I think they just went with something safe. I enjoyed it, and I’d rather see them do a simple program well than be wallowing in transitions they haven’t mastered yet.

As for the dress, I think Luba just wore one of her old costumes because the new dress isn’t ready yet. She did that during the Olympic season.

clairecloutier

I enjoyed Luba/Charlie’s SP. Their unison and lines look terrific for such a new team, IMO. Death spiral was excellent, step seq good, lift was already of fine quality and will only improve with time, SBS spins excellent for such a new team, SBS jumps promising. Yay! :cheer2: Yes, I’m a cheerleader, LOL. So happy to see Lubov back on the ice again, and she looks great!

It’s completely normal for new teams to struggle with timing on the throws and twist. Lubov/Dylan’s technique on the twist was quite different from Julianne/Charlie’s, so it may take some time to integrate their approach. It took a while for Lubov/Dylan to integrate their technique and get a good twist, but they eventually did, and Julianne/Charlie’s twist improved greatly over the years, so I am optimistic (while agreeing with @Rock2 that it has quite a ways to go). Throws involve so much timing and familiarity, that too will improve with more time together.

I’ll wait to see how the program develops, it’s not music I would have chosen myself, but they present it well, and let’s see how it grows.

Last edited:

geoskate

They are much better than I expected at this point, with surprisingly good matching on their stroking for such a new team. IMO they are a great match.

Lubov is helping to make Charlie into an elegant skater, something I did not think was possible.

Very early days yet . . . but I am encouraged.

Mad for Skating

I enjoyed Luba/Charlie’s SP. Their unison and lines look terrific for such a new team, IMO. Death spiral was excellent, step seq good, lift was already of fine quality and will only improve with time, SBS spins excellent for such a new team, SBS jumps promising. Yay! :cheer2: Yes, I’m a cheerleader, LOL. So happy to see Lubov back on the ice again, and she looks great!

It’s completely normal for new teams to struggle with timing on the throws and twist. Lubov/Dylan’s technique on the twist was quite different from Julianne/Charlie’s, so it may take some time to integrate their approach. It took a while for Lubov/Dylan to integrate their technique and get a good twist, but they eventually did, and Julianne/Charlie’s twist improved greatly over the years, so I am optimistic (while agreeing with @Rock2 that it has quite a ways to go). Throws involve so much timing and familiarity, that too will improve with more time together.

I’ll wait to see how the program develops, it’s not music I would have chosen myself, but they present it well, and let’s see how it grows.

I agree with this! I think they’re just getting comfortable with each other right now, and by the end of the season they could really be contenders.

Should've brought back the butt ruffle!

It was iconic! We deserve another ruffled dress for the free skate, I demand it!

Mad for Skating

I don't think this has been posted before. It's a recent interview with Ted Flett.

Thank you so much for posting this! It seems like they're in a good place for the upcoming season. I can't wait to see them at Finlandia!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information