Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

bardtoob

it had the opposite reaction for me watching that, i found it rather disturbing to put a young injured girl up to vault.

I have mixed feelings because:

1) put a young injured guy up and ...

2) she was never going to use gymnastics again, so why not use it now.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
At the time, I didn’t get it. It was only in the last year that I understood Strugg’s vault in the context of abusive training/competition environment at The Ranch. Has she ever said anything post Nasser or post shutdown?

Erin

Banned Member
it had the opposite reaction for me watching that, i found it rather disturbing to put a young injured girl up to vault.

Strug was legally an adult at the time at 18...albeit a rather sheltered one who was used to always following her coaches’ instructions. I do think she wanted to vault, not only for team reasons, but also for her own personal goals, as she was in a fight to qualify for the AA final, which she had missed out on in Barcelona (although she ended up not being able to compete anyway because of the injury). I go back and forth but ultimately since it’s not a head injury, I think it’s OK to let her make her own decision on whether to compete. The Bela “you can do it” stuff comes across as really gross though.

At least Kerri seems to be fine in retrospect with her decision to vault and doesn’t regret it. There was a similar situation in the 1976 Olympics with Shun Fujimoto, a Japanese gymnast who broke his knee on floor and then continued to compete pommel horse and rings after. The rings dismount would have been incredibly painful. In his case, he still walks with a limp and says if he were to do it over again, he would not.

pollyanna

Sam Mikulak is 15th at the moment if we exclude those gymnast that can't qualify because of the 2 per country rule.

But kind of sad/expected after watching his score, he bombed floor exercise an event that is usually one of his strongest with a 11.533 followed by a 12.600 in pommel horse

Overall he left like 3 points on the table because of those 2 performances, specially floor.

Coming into finals he will have the opportunity of a potential total score IF he doesn't fall elsewhere of 85 points that can put him in contention for a top 5 but not enough for a medal.
In women's gymnastics, gymnasts start from zero for the AA final. Is this different for men's gymnastics?

FiveRinger

I'm curious. Does anyone know how many times the Worlds has been held in Stuttgart? I think am thinking of at least 3. Are there more?

By the way, I'm loving Simone's leotard today. :) And it's wonderful to hear that Sunisa's dad has been released from the hospital after 8 weeks. :cheer2:

D

Deleted member 40371

Biles scored 15.233 with a 0.1 penalty for landing outside.
Nina with an awesome UB 15.200, 8.7 E score.
Melka, Sunlisa, Li all scores in 14.4
Melanie 14.633
Seitz with 14.866 on UB.
Cinta Rodriguez was just had a beautiful floor routine.
Varinska was beautiful as well, really beautiful on the floor...13.400
Moors' had a very dramatic floor routine, I liked the routine. 13.566

Top 8 + select after 1:

1) Biles (USA) 15.233
2) Dereval (BEL) 15.200
3) Seitz 14.866
4) DJDS (FRA) 14.633
5) Lee (USA) 14.466
6) Li (CHN)/Melnikova(RUS) 14.433
8) G.Villa (ITA) 14.333
9) Tang (CHN) 14.166
10) Black (CAN) 14.133
11) Voss (GER)13.800
16) Saraiva (BRA) 13.300

Last edited by a moderator:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Oh my CBC feed stopped! What did Moors get on her floor routine? She proves artistry is still alive in gymnastics great routine

D

Deleted member 40371

Rotation2 :

Black on beam 14.000, a secure performance from black.
Hatekada 13.800 on vault. a deep squat on the 1.5 twist.
Sunlisa Lee with a fall on UB... that is shocking. 13.166 on UB, that is nearly 1.8 lower than required. This is a shocker.
Nina with a 13.733 on beam... didn;t see the performance,
Biles performance like biles 14.733 on UB... she is such a competitor.
Li (CHN) had a messy performance towards the end on UB, she stayed on but was messy. 13.366
Steingrueber had a great height on leaps, huge tumbles. 13.633
Tang had a secured performance, she is the sub from China and scores 14.533
very secure performance from Saravia, that was beautiful. 14.033
Melka doesn't want a medal either 13.9, that was messy.
Seitz 13.233, well done.

Melanie falls as well, so many have messed up...It could be lucky day for Canuks and Nina. Another fall, this is sad. 11.933

After 2 rotation:

1) Biles (USA) 29.966
2) Dereval (BEL) 28.933
3) Tang (CHN) 28.699
4)Melnikova(RUS) 28.333
5) Black (CAN) 28.133
6) Seitz 28.099
7) Li (CHN) 27.799
8) Moors(CAN) 27.599

D

Deleted member 40371

Rotation 3:

Biles (USA) beam : Very strong routine 14.633, few wobbles here and there, but that was the best of the day.
Nina (BEL) 13.500 , only two tumbling and I am not sure I like the routine.
Guila (SUI) 14.966 on Vault, huge.
Li: took a few steps on her dismount (14.0)
Tang wants a medal,she was impressive 14.6, she moves to 2nd ... that is impressive.
Moors 13.266, she will move down after that score. she doesn't have D score.

Melka a 14.00 on the beam, not shown on the Tv. SHown and very clean routine.
Saravia was beautiful, amazing. Totally enjoyed, 13.933.
Seitz 13.3 on the floor, crowd and commentator enjoy that chicken dance ... I am not sure i liked it.
Lee 13.833 on floor.
Black with floor score of 13.533, she finishes on vault, she could move up.

top 10:
1) Biles Simone USA 44.599
2) Tang Xijing CHN 43.299
3) Derwael Nina BEL 42.433
4) Melnikova Angelina RUS 42.333
5) Li Shijia CHN 41.799
6) Black Elsabeth CAN 41.666
7 Lee Sunisa USA 41.432
8) Seitz Elisabeth GER 41.399
9 Steingruber Giulian SUI 41.366
10) Saraiva Flavia n BRA 41.266

D

Deleted member 40371

Rotation 4:
1) Li with a beautiful floor routine and score 13.300..
Guilia with a 12.5, no medal for her.
Tang going for the medal, go Tang ... 13.6, that should be enough for a silver medal...
Sitz : good vault 14.6 , it coudl be tight for bronze.
Melka with a difficult routine 14.066, into 2nd, Nina will need 13.966 for bronze
Black seems to have done some damage to her leg, just short of Melka score (.167)
Nina 13.600, behind Black.

Melka has bronze and Tang the Silver. Sunlisa can't score 14.9 on floor.

Biles dominates again, 0.4 penalities, maybe that is the only way she loses the medal.

1) Biles Simone USA 58.999
2) Tang Xijing CHN 56.899
3) Melnikova Angelina RUS 42.333
4) Black Elsabeth CAN 56.232
5) Derwael Nina BEL 56.033
6) Seitz Elisabeth GER 55.999
7) Saraiva Flavia BRA 55.732
8 Lee Sunisa USA 55.632

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Well Sunisa Lee falling all over in each phase of the competition right? qualification, team final and now giving away a medal falling off her apparatus, uneven bars. If this was still Marta's era she would be in big trouble after worlds!

Lee, Mc Callum having many falls at this worlds already, maybe more in one single meet than what team USA have had in recent times

Nina with very low vault so good bye medal, Melnikova with good floor and will take the bronze behind chinese gymnast

Elsabeth Black injured on vault, if she can't compete anymore then Kara Eaker will be up at the balance beam final since she is the first reserve

Debbie S

And Simone wins! Of course. ;) :cheer2:

And of course my NBCSN feed froze during Simone's floor ex. I did get to see the triple double, and it did come back on, but grrr. That better be the last feed freeze of the gymnastics/skating season.

I see gym has added a K&C (or have they done this previously at Worlds?). The gymnasts look kind of lonely there w/o their coaches, though.

I hope Ellie Black will be OK.

Rob

Beach Bum
Did Melnikova get a medal? Oh I will be so happy for her.

And I am sad for Melanie, was hoping for her to medal.

Last edited:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Did Melnikova get a medal? Oh I will be so happy for her.

And I am sad for Melanie, was hoping for her to medal.

Yes she won the bronze medal, could have been silver

And Melanie has not been performing well. Still she has a shot at the event finals (Floor)

snoopyskater

Elsabeth Black injured on vault, if she can't compete anymore then Kara Eaker will be up at the balance beam final since she is the first reserve
Ellie was on crutches for the women's all-around medal ceremony - it looks like she could be out for the finals

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Ellie Black suffered a high ankle sprain and she will not compete in the beam final. It took guts to go for the rudi on vault - as I recall she hasn't done this in international competition in five years (she did compete it at Canadian Championships earlier this year). Hopefully she can rest up and heal. I hope she will be ready for the world cup AA series next year, as this is Canada's best chance to get an extra spot for Tokyo.

Erin

Banned Member
I hope she will be ready for the world cup AA series next year, as this is Canada's best chance to get an extra spot for Tokyo.

Yeah, Canada really needs her for the AA World Cups. That said, I also think Canada has a good chance at getting an extra spot through Pan Ams - probably a better chance through there than through the World Cups (although it would be awesome if they could get both). Jade Carey going for the individual WC spot really helps Canada out because it opens up a spot at Pan Ams that the US otherwise would have taken. Since Jade is doing the individual route, and the US will almost definitely get an AA World Cup spot, they will be maxed out and not eligible for a Pan Ams spot. Given that, Brazil and Canada have to be the favourites for the two spots. Most other top Pan Am women (like Dominici, Francis, Moreno, Vidiaux) have already qualified by name. Maybe someone like a healthy Frida Esparza could challenge or Yesenia Ferrera, but I still think that if Zoe Allaire-Bourgie is healthy, she should easily be able to get the spot. And if she isn't healthy, there are lots of other options like Isabela Onyshko/Rose Woo/Laurie Denommee/Emma Spence who should be able to hold off Esparza or Ferrera.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 40371

Rot 1:

Sun Wei: a lot stuck landing, but the chest is low in many landing. 14.033
Heigi (SUI)14.233, huge score on PH. well done.
Kazuma (JPN): very clean routine and E score of 8.5, he is very pumped up.
Moldauer (US) : 13.133 a huge score.
Ruoteng(CHN): huge performance, a stuck landing to end. 15.025, 8.825 E score. Nearly 2 tenth up on Q
Mikulak: 14.266 on vault, 9.066 E score.
Dalaloyan : Huge routine, so many stuck landing.
Vernaliev scores 14.866 huge score, he looks very good.

Jimena

I'm watching the men's event live and it's so amazing. So much more entertaining than the women's event. The top group is incredible. Nikita, Artur and Xiao were unbelievable. And that's just the first rotation! What a treat.

D

Deleted member 40371

I miss most of the AA :cry:, will peak in and out.

Just to add Ruoteng and Sun Wei messed up their PH at the qualification, Sun Scored 2 points higher, Ruoteng scored 1.6 points higher. The scores become very tight between the athletes. Artur is 1.2 points higher than Q after 2 events. It could end up being a 4 way battle in the final group.

D

Deleted member 40371

Dalaloyan blinks first a 14.00 on vault, he ususally get 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information