Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyedwards

This is amazing for Russian men’s gymnastics! In 2016 in Rio you saw great potential and now before tokyo they won team and top 2 in AA!! Amazing!

love_skate2011

Banned Member
This is amazing for Russian men’s gymnastics! In 2016 in Rio you saw great potential and now before tokyo they won team and top 2 in AA!! Amazing!

Russian men have higher chances for gold than women, how things chance in a decade.

Though next year they have very good gymnasts Vladislava Urazova and Elena Gerasimova. Uzarova is very good all around gymnast that would contend for gold other than Biles and Gerasimova is like chinese on beam she sticks and good on floor too.

Urazova evolution over her junior years - a Musafina in the making

Gerasimovas chinese technique

It could be Melnikova, Urazova, Gerasimova and Mustafina or Paseka heading to Tokyo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 40371

Gold for Whitlock (GBR) 15.5, silver for Lee Chih Kai (TPE), bronze for Rhys McClenaghan (IRL) on PH.

Lorac

Never thought I would see an Irish gymnast in a World final, let alone medal. :eek:

And he's also qualified for the Olympics. Max upped his difficulty to 7 which is what won it for him. Rhys had the highest execution score and he looked fabulous. Push his difficulty up a couple of notches and he will be pushing for the gold along with Max.

D

Deleted member 40371

Nina Derewal (BEL) gold in UB, Rebecca Downie (GBR) the silver, and Sunlisa lee gets the bronze

D

Deleted member 40371

There are 5 athletes trying to qualify for the Olympics. The 3 among these 5 will qualify for the Olympics, other 2 should qualify after reallocation (according to my understanding, but others disagree). And FIG has filled first 3 athletes with athletes from teams already qualified, what a pressure cooker situation coming up soon.

Colak into first, he could be the third Turkish athletes to qualify through the individual apparatus route.
Lodadio into second 14.9...
Petrounias into 3rd and Colak qualify for Olympics, and Turkey gets a medal.
Athur Tomasayan will have to wait for FIG's reallocation to see how they go about this.
Samir (FRA) 14.8 gets bronze and qualifies. He is going back to the Olympics.

Petrounias will depend on the reallocation of other apparatus spots, or qua;lify through World cup.

Gold for Colak and Turkey, silver for Lobadio and Bronze for Samir Ait-Said (FRA)

Last edited by a moderator:

floskate

Vacant
Loving these Worlds so far. Yulo my Filipino hero from yesterday's AA is world FX champ. Amazing form and technique :cheer2:

Simone's Amanar was an absolute beaut. I do prefer it to the Cheng but yay Ellie Downie for pulling out a great Cheng upgrade to medal on vault. I thought she was a little unlucky to not get silver after Carey's sloppy execution in comparison and huge lunge off the mats :shuffle:

Max :cheer: Rhys :cheer: TPE guy with amazing flares :cheer:MMax crying after his interview on BBC made me all :wuzrobbed

Becky Downie finally!!!!! FINALLY a world medallist. What a day for that family. What an achievement after all these years. Congrats to Nina and Suni also. :)

D

Deleted member 40371

I am most happy for Samir after he broke his leg at 2016 Olympics, I hope he can pick up a medal

Lorac

Rings final is so intense the strength of those guys is immense. Turkey Gold, Italy Silver and France Bronze - and they were all awesome routines!!!!

floskate

Vacant
So great to see Samir get the bronze. I think we all remember that horrific vault in Rio. What an incredible comeback for him :cheer:

D

Deleted member 40371

I remember seeing that happen during a vault if I remember correctly - it was so nasty so for him to come back and win a medal at worlds is awesome!!
I was similarly routing for Salim Sidri, another french athlete, in his case was hit by Javelin while doing a long jump. He came back, but not to that level.

Samir definitely will be looking for a medal at the Tokyo games, of course, it is much harder to qualify in Rings, and results are very tight. A small mistake is enough to kick you out of the finals.

skatfan

Thrilled to see Max get another title on pommels! :swoon:

Simone’s Amanar was beautiful! Carey was a bit lucky to get silver, had Downie been later in the lineup I think silver and bronze would have been reversed.

It's just incredible to see Simone's concentration and consistency with the difficulty she does. She was thrilled with her bars, her worst event, where she placed 5th, which could be her lowest placement in the world championships. I think Carey did benefit from going last in the vault, but at least Downie medalled.

FiveRinger

It's just incredible to see Simone's concentration and consistency with the difficulty she does. She was thrilled with her bars, her worst event, where she placed 5th, which could be her lowest placement in the world championships. I think Carey did benefit from going last in the vault, but at least Downie medalled.
I’m curious. I know that Simone did not do her most difficult vaults, and she was still able to win comfortably. But is there a way for Ellie to upgrade her first vault to something other than an Amanar? Frankly, they scare me from an injury perspective. I agree with those who say that Ellie had better looking vaults and probably should have been the silver medalist. Had she had a more difficult first vault there would have been no doubt.

Erin

Banned Member
I’m curious. I know that Simone did not do her most difficult vaults, and she was still able to win comfortably. But is there a way for Ellie to upgrade her first vault to something other than an Amanar? Frankly, they scare me from an injury perspective.

The Amanar is probably her only real option for an upgrade. The other upgraded options are a handspring Rudi (front with one and a half twists) or a double twisting Tsukahara, which is still worth 0.2 less than the Rudi or Amanar. But I have never seen Ellie compete either of those style of vaults, so I think trying to switch to it at this late stage and get such a difficult vault would be tough. (Maybe the Rudi would be possible since it’s theoretically like an easier version of the Cheng...but if that were the case, you would think she would already be doing it.) So that leaves her with the Amanar. There was a rumor years ago that she had one, but with all the injuries she had in 2017 and 2018, it isn’t a surprise we haven’t seen it. I guess she will have to decide if the risk is worth it heading into Tokyo.

SpeedySucks

The Amanar is probably her only real option for an upgrade. The other upgraded options are a handspring Rudi (front with one and a half twists) or a double twisting Tsukahara, which is still worth 0.2 less than the Rudi or Amanar. But I have never seen Ellie compete either of those style of vaults, so I think trying to switch to it at this late stage and get such a difficult vault would be tough. (Maybe the Rudi would be possible since it’s theoretically like an easier version of the Cheng...but if that were the case, you would think she would already be doing it.) So that leaves her with the Amanar. There was a rumor years ago that she had one, but with all the injuries she had in 2017 and 2018, it isn’t a surprise we haven’t seen it. I guess she will have to decide if the risk is worth it heading into Tokyo.

Unless the rule has changed, I don’t think she could do both a Rudi and a Cheng. I believe the post-flights have to be different. You can’t do a DTY and a double twisting Tsuk either. I’ve always thought this rule was stupid as it results in gymnasts doing easier second vaults than they otherwise might.

Erin

Banned Member
Unless the rule has changed, I don’t think she could do both a Rudi and a Cheng. I believe the post-flights have to be different. You can’t do a DTY and a double twisting Tsuk either. I’ve always thought this rule was stupid as it results in gymnasts doing easier second vaults than they otherwise might.

Oh yeah, it hasn’t changed and I forgot about that one. It was why Jade Carey had to drop her double twisting Tsuk and switch to the Lopez/Cheng when she couldn’t do the Amanar. So another reason why Ellie’s only upgrade option is the Amanar.

D

Deleted member 40371

Nagornyy wins his third gold, Dalaoyan silver and bronze for Radvilov

D

Deleted member 40371

Li on Beam from China, shaky beginning but she got very secure by the end. She was outside the time allowed. 14.3
i got a phone and missed most of the finals./.. saw bits and pieces.

14.00 Eaker, she had a big balance check.

huge routine from Simone, that was very impressive, that was the best among all athletes I saw at this WC. 15.066
Saravia off the beam on RO layout... ring leaps are actually ring leaps. 13.4 and WO the fall judges would have given her silver.
Gold: Biles(USA) 15.066
Silver : Liu Tingting (CHN) she was pulled off AA finals 14.433
Bronze: Li Shijia (CHN) 14.300

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information