Gymnastics News #21 - Tumbling on to Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erin

Banned Member
I loved that routine. What's its D score?

She got a 6.7 D-Score when she competed it at the FIT challenge in Belgium.

Sunisa Lee of the US is also potentially attempting a 6.7 D score routine on bars. Unfortunately it didn’t go so well at the American Classic where she basically had the equivalent of three falls. She posted what it’s supposed to look like on her twitter though (this one isn’t 6.7 D as it doesn’t have the dismount difficulty and I think she would need to also make one other small modification but it gives you an idea):

I guess we’ll see if she can become consistent enough on it to stick with the routine or if she will have to scale back the difficulty to hit.

Last edited:

floskate

Vacant
It looks like Ragan Smith has now retired from elite gymnastics and will be at Oklahoma this upcoming year.

I had thought that she was going to delay entering OU until next year. Considering that it’s July and she would be moving in about a month, I wondered if she decided this awhile ago.
I saw this a while back on facebook so she definitely made the decision a while ago. It brought a lot of critisism of Texas Dreams coming hard on the heels of Bailie Key having to retire due to injury without ever having really competed in NCAA. I hope Ragan can get that ankle fully heeled and enjoy a fulfilling collegiate career.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
With the Classic coming up, things are going to get a bit more active. should we start a new thread? This ones at nearly 2k posts.

ilovepaydays

Last edited:

Lucy25

I’m certainly excited to watch the U.S. Classic on Saturday night. It will be on the Olympic Channel - and I think USA Gymnastics will stream it on their YouTube channel.

Meanwhile, here’s a preview of Simone from today’s warmups. I believe that’s a triple-double she’s going to attempt - among probably other ridiculous things.

EDIT: And here’s her Biles + front layout. I can’t imagine what her D score on floor is going to be now. I think it was a 6.700 at 2018 Worlds.
I love the Biles + layout - it just looks so cool! I cannot wait to watch tomorrow. It promises to be a great show. I am really rooting for MyKayla Skinner.

Last edited:

bardtoob

EDIT: And here’s her Biles + front layout. I can’t imagine what her D score on floor is going to be now. I think it was a 6.700 at 2018 Worlds.

Ummm . . . when Shannon Miller writes:

"shannonmiller96
Verified
Watching this over and over wondering how it’s even possible to look this casual doing THIS skill. She makes them look so easy, I hope everyone watching understands just how difficult these skills actually are!! W O W"

VGThuy

Ummm . . . when Shannon Miller writes:

"shannonmiller96
Verified
Watching this over and over wondering how it’s even possible to look this casual doing THIS skill. She makes them look so easy, I hope everyone watching understands just how difficult these skills actually are!! W O W"

I mean that form is insane. She makes it look way too easy and I think it makes people not truly understand the true difficulty of what she's putting out there. Usually when we get gymnasts tumbling like that, it looks like they're running really hard and chucking the skills for dear life and it shows in the form and line, but Biles is seems to be in full control of her body (if not always her landings because of the insane power and bounce).

In that first link in the post above, she OVER-ROTATES a Triple/Double. Insane.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Simone Biles is not human. :eek: :cheer:

We leave for Louisville in the morning and I'm SO excited about the gymnastics that I'm gonna see there! The juniors are always a treat and I am SUPER stoked to see the senior event tomorrow night. I won't be at my computer again until Sunday night (I'll try to come post some thoughts from the event here when I get home) but I will be tweeting and posting pics to Instagram from the events if you want to follow along with me there (kwanfan1212 and HeatherC1275 respectively). :cheer2:

ilovepaydays

Is it just me, or does Jade Carey’s FX sound like there’s a helicopter in the background?

Whoever makes this Pan American Games Team is going to have a hectic travel/competition schedule between tonight and U.S. Nationals.

Lucy25

They clearly have never seen how cameras cover gymnastics on the SEC Network. SIGH.

So.....was Riley overscored on beam? 15.100?
I have no idea with this kind of scoring, but her routine was fabulous. In fact, so far, most of the ladies are doing incredibly. The US obviously has an embarrassment of riches here. I did not know Trinity Thomas was competing; what a nice surprise!

ilovepaydays

WAIT. Jordan Chiles is training alongside Simone now?

I know I’ve posted this many times on here already, but I HATE wolf turns. Can’t they do an Okino or something aesthetically pleasing for that requirement?

Lucy25

FYI - myusagym.com is doing live scoring. It is ahead of the tv broadcast . I wish they’d show some of the others on the broadcast - Finnigan, Skinner, etc

VGThuy

The only way wolf turns will go away is if they devalued them, but then they'd probably have to devalue all turns. No big loss for me. In fact they could take away the pirouetting requirement. Honestly, if I was a coach, I'd teach wolf turns as well as a double wolf on FX is a D-level skill, fulfills the pirouetting requirement, and it seems to be more deduction-safe than some of the other pirouette variations where many gymnasts fall out of and almost fall on their face.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
WUT? Mai Murakami is OFF the Japanese team? :eek: :(

I had to search to make sure I hadn’t misunderstood. Seriously Japan?

VGThuy

Gymnastics is one sport where I feel that the hardcore fans really do have much more common sense and logic than the federations that govern it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information