2019-20 GP Selection (19-20 June)

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
ANL is out ot chanting and studying the Grids...

Karen Chen? WHY? That should be Ting Cui in there for SkAM.... Ugggggg

Why does Karen get 2 (when she bailed on everything last year) and Michael Parsons (who fully competed) only get 1 with caroline? Does the comback / new team rule apply differently?

Bradie back to back? I dont like that and SC looks way stacked. Seems to be plenty of skaters who have back to back events.

Why didnt SkAm seperate Nathan and Jason? Ugggggg

So Michael Parsons is teamed up with Caroline... so interesting...

Weird to see USA ladies this depleted on entries :(

So no Gold as of yet? And Im fine with that. No Amber and no Megan yet.

Rostelecom still up to its game of watering down their events and stacking it in favor of Russians... Rostelecom is ALWAYS THE MOST boring event... I wish ISU would step in.... And all of their withdrawals will be replaced with skaters I have to google. Frustrating.

I wish ISU would step in and reassign their ENTIRE roster for Ice Dance and for Pairs.

Rostelecom pairs is even more frustrating. They have only 2 teams they picked that have ever stood on a GP podium (and they are Russian, imagine that).. fast forward to the next week in Japan and all the teams but one have stood on GP podiums.

I dont think my chanting worked well. lol

Last edited:

SamuraiK

Could Kailani still get invited somewhere? I hope so.

She's in the top 75 but there are way more than 10 above her (even discounting the russians who have maxed out) that will be the first ones to be considered if a WD happens.

Carolla5501

Bradie back to back? I dont like that and SC looks way stacked. Seems to be plenty of skaters who have back to back events.

Rostelecom still up to its game of watering down their events and stacking it in favor of Russians... Rostelecom is ALWAYS THE MOST boring event... I wish ISU would step in.... And all of their withdrawals will be replaced with skaters I have to google. Frustrating.

I wish ISU would step in and reassign their entire entries for Ice Dance.

Gold used her free pass last year. Is she even eligible

CaliSteve

Why does Karen get 2 (when she bailed on everything last year) and Michael Parsons (who fully competed) only get 1 with caroline?

I wish ISU would step in and reassign their entire entries for Ice Dance.

I dont get Karen Chen assignments either. USFSA needs to invest more in future skaters. The chances of Karen dropping out are very high.

Erin

Banned Member
I wonder if Chartrand will be competing this year. She didn't even get Skate Canada yet Mallet got Skate America.

Yes, I suspect you are right that she may be done. If she is planning to compete, I can’t imagine Skate Canada would snub her by giving the host spot to Cotop over Alaine, considering Alaine is the national champion and beat Aurora again at Worlds.

AngieNikodinovLove

I think Gold will have to be sent to some Bs, get the minimums and maybe SkAm could choose. But Im curious for Amber, Starr and Megan.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
She isn't. Unless USFS gives her a host pick (very unlikely)

Really? Very unlikely? I am just as happy to see it go to Amber Glenn (assuming Harrell will be on JGP again), but I think Gracie is the most likely person at the moment. Of course, she will need to show all that progress on jumps on vincent r's instagram in a real competition before we can say this for sure. But it looks pretty clear she has come a long way since Rostelecom 2018...

Willin

Ouch! Every Ladies competition looks loaded! Usually there's a "weak" field event or two for each discipline, but none for ladies this time. I think it's good that Karen got assignments, as it will be interesting to see how going to college and having a year off will affect her consistency. Maybe she'll be in a better spot mentally.
I don't see Gracie getting the Skate America spot unless she has spectacular showings at summer competitions and Senior Bs beforehand. I'm hoping she'll get the spot and the instagram footage is good, but instagram footage also is selected to be good so it may not reflect what she'll actually do. Besides, she still has a year or two to ramp back up to Olympic level if that's what she wants to do.

As for not separating Nathan and Jason, I think it's fine. Jason is unlikely to beat Nathan, but can compete with the rest of the field if last year is any indication, so a podium is still a possibility for him. Besides, it's good marketing: the US champ/world champ in his home country and a crowd favorite US fans turn up to see. That'll help sell tickets.

Interesting to see no US Ice Dance at Rostelecom Cup despite them getting so many spots elsewhere. Sometimes weird things like that happen, but it's still kinda surprising.

Hopefully I'll get the weekend off for Skate America.

Dobre

I can’t imagine Skate Canada would snub her by giving the host spot to Cotop over Alaine, considering Alaine is the national champion and beat Aurora again at Worlds.

Nor can I. The other possibility is an injury.
Why does Karen get 2 (when she bailed on everything last year) and Michael Parsons (who fully competed) only get 1 with caroline? Does the comback / new team rule apply differently?

Karen has a top 6 finish from a previous Worlds. She is eligible for two spots as a comeback skater as long as they do not count the event she withdrew from midway through last season. Essentially, she must qualify for two because she & her team were smart enough not to have her complete that event (pretty sure she didn't have a FS at the time, and I suspect they knew the rules while the rest of us weren't sure until her name came up on the list).

Neither Caroline nor Michael qualify as comeback skaters. Michael was high enough on the GP last year to have a guaranteed spot. And this is a split couple. But as far as the rules go, it's not clear that such teams can qualify for the GP. However, it's the second year in a row when we've seen this happen. Last year it was with Li & Xie so while we weren't expecting it, there does seem to be a pattern developing here that allows for such an invitation. (Green & Parsons will probably get the SA host spot as well, if they're ready to compete. There's no one left on the ISP at the moment to get it, but SA saved the spot).

Last edited:

SamuraiK

Really? Very unlikely? I am just as happy to see it go to Amber Glenn (assuming Harrell will be on JGP again), but I think Gracie is the most likely person at the moment. Of course, she will need to show all that progress on jumps on vincent r's instagram in a real competition before we can say this for sure. But it looks pretty clear she has come a long way since Rostelecom 2018...

Doing all that you mention is easier said than done. There's also the factor of some up and coming lady doing quite well during summer comps or challengers and deserving it way more than Gold who by now only has past reputation on her side and there are also at least 3 Top 10 ladies from nationals without nothing so far, but we'll see.

coppertop1

I'm looking forward to seeing the youngsters make their senior debut. It will be interesting. With the next Olympics two years away, it's the perfect time to get the young skaters experience.

Any thought on who gets to TBD spot in Skate Canada for the Ladies?

AngieNikodinovLove

Interesting to see no US Ice Dance at Rostelecom Cup despite them getting so many spots elsewhere. Sometimes weird things like that happen, but it's still kinda surprising.

Dont get me started even more on Rostelecom's selections for Dance and Pairs. Lol, see my post at the top of this page.

Carolla5501

I wish ISU would step in and reassign their ENTIRE roster for Ice Dance and for Pairs.

Rostelecom pairs is even more frustrating. They have only 2 teams they picked that have ever stood on a GP podium.. fast forward to the next week in Japan and all the teams but one have stood on GP podiums.

Why Ting? I am sorry I know she's loved on here, but I have never seen the "outstanding" skating everyone claims. Chen's a former US champion she probably deserves the spot and might sell a few tickets!

Bradie may be taking a page from H/D's book. DO your events early, go back to work and get ready for Nationals etc... It really does get your the feedback and allow your team lots of time to correct and fix before Nationals. (H/D are doing it again this year too)

As for Nathan and Jason at SkateAm $$$$ People will pay to see them. Sorry but that's the draw. And honestly if Jason doesn't have a reliable quad getting to GPF will be pretty difficult regardless of which events he gets.

Skate America doesn't look horrid, but I know the dance teams always seem to be just barely ready. Glad we didn't get the Knerim's and thrilled to see C/L!

Jammers

Ting got two GP's? Good i was going to rage if she only got 1 and Chen got 2. Karen has all the talent in the world but internationally she's been a disappointment. Other then Worlds in 2017 she hasn't done much of anything in big championships events whether they were the GP season 4CC or the Olympics.

Jammers

That's some bullshit right there with the Russian Fed not inviting any US Ice Dance teams just so they can protect their precious teams. And no US Ladies at COC? So China raids the US to get girls to skate for them then doesn't assign any US Ladies at COC? :mad:

Last edited:

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Grassl said in a recent interview he's doing the last Jr GP season as he hopes to make the final in Italy and one of the events is at his home rink. He'll compete seniors at Europeans
Interview in russian

Speaking of Italian skaters, G/F have quite some competition to make GPF.

kates8

Three back to backs for top dance teams - HD, CB, SK - I get maybe SA and SC with both being out west Cda/US, but there's a lot of travel and time zone changes for CB and SK with a week turnaround.

Colonel Green

Any thought on who gets to TBD spot in Skate Canada for the Ladies?
If Chartrand isn’t competing, I’d guess it’s between Pineault and a second event for Mallet.

That's some bullshit right there with the Russian Fed not inviting any US Ice Dance teams just so they can protect their precious teams.
I’m not clear who you think is being protected there. Other than Sinitsina/Katsalapov, the other Russian teams that are assigned or will be assigned are third-stringers. The Polish and Spanish teams both rank decidedly ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information