New Ladies Quads and Orser-exit, news during May-day holidays.

Tinami Amori

New Ladies Quads and Orser-exit, news during May-day holidays.
By Dmitry Kuznetzov for Sport-Express
https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...shlo-v-figurnom-katanii-za-prazdniki-1544113/

Trusova and Shcherbakova – is just a start. The new generation is right behind them.
Alena Kanysheva became a one more skater who landed a quad – and again it took place in Tutberidze’s group, which she joined only in this March. Prior to that she skated at “Snow Leopards” with Svetlana Panova. Officially this transfer has not yet been announced, and for a while her fans were guessing where Alena is skating. Apparently her debut at the new rink was successful: it is not clear how well her quad attempts were wit Panova, or if there were any attempts, but now that she has a quad after almost 2 months is quite something. The base value of this jump is 9.5 points. To compare, the most difficult triple jump, axel, is 8 points, and right behind it is lutz 5.9 points.

At present, there are at least 6 ladies skaters, which have made (as ET calls it) the Quad Squad – Trusova, Shcherbakova, Tursynbaeva, Akatieva, Valieva (last two are 11 and 13 respectively). At least their tries have been documented on video. But lets not forget Miki Ando and her 4S in her junior years.

And to go back further, lets not forget the famous Tonya Harding and her 4-lutz in Texaco advertisement. Of course that attempt is has no relevance to ISU events (and the full video is not available).

Kanysheva is only 13 now (14 this summer), but in 1 year from now she can join seniors. She was born June 15th, and shortly next year can join the ranks of Zagitova and Medvedeva along with other champions. By ISU rules a skater must turn 15 before July 1, to skate in Seniors in the upcoming season. In that regard Trusova is also lucky, she was born June 23, in other words if her parents produced her a week later, she would have to stay in Juniors one more year.

Escape from Orser’s club where Medvedeva trains?

One more rather important piece of news, which has not gained much attention in Russia – the talk of massive exist from the figure skating club in Toronto where Medvedeva trains.

Few days ago TSL via twitter announced a departure from TCC of coach Lee Barkell and one of his most talented students, Stephan Gogolev (who holds a dual Russian-Canadian citizenship), and Gabriella Daleman as well. This resource (TSL) should usually be treated with a grain of salt, but their news did not stop there, and on May 9 it announced that Barkell moved to Granite Club, and rather very private club right there in Toronto. This athletic club one can join by invitation only.

At present none of the involved parties have made an official announcement about the transfers, or responded to enquiries from “S-E”. Some figure skating followers have even voiced an opinion that the cause of the could be connected with a very high level of attention given by Orser to the russian Medvedeva, who unquestionably became one of the main stars at TCC. Additionally, this is almost symbolic, given her departure from Tutberidze exactly a year ago.

At the same time, the Canadian CBC commentator and director, PJ Kwong has not confirmed the assumptions: “I do not think that a one year’s presence of Medvedeva in Toronto could be a reason to switch places for others. I can only say that Daleman is still recovering after the injury she sustained and the World Team Championship. I also heard this information, but we do not yet have official confirmations” (said PJ Kwong to the journalist at “S-E”).

The closer the start of the new season, the sooner there will be clarifications. If officially confirmed that Barkell, Gogolev, Daleman, or even any of them have left the Cricket Club – it is a serious loss for the club. Not to use a cliché “there is no smoke without a fire”, but it is not improbable that Barkell may not have accepted at second role behind Orser in this legendary TCC. Plus, Barkell did not start his career at there, and only worked there for 5 years, since 2014. He is not the kind to be a “faithful squire” to Orser, like Tracy Wilson is.

To sum up, if the talks about the transfers were not true, the Canadian media would have already posted objections (clarifications). At the same time, on the other side of the ocean, many grieved about the end of competitive career announced by Kaetlyn Osmond.

(the rest of the article is about statistics and seating capacity of the 2 arenas where GP and other figure skating events will be held in Russia).

Tinami Amori

Glad to know that there's an equivalent to TSL in Russia.
If you can't beat them, join them... ;) i guess Russians too need a few outlets which trash and spread rumors about the more successful North American coaches and skaters.

"Orser-exit" in the thread title sounds like he's leaving. :shuffle:
The original wording in the title is worst "Escapes from Orser".. :smokin:

I too, believe that "all the hype around Medvedeva" at TCC might have had some affect on some Canadian skaters at the club.. Daleman is Canadian, and in a Canadian Club she should rightfully be the #1 and a star, and not a foreigner, no matter house famous he/she is.

Rock2

I too, believe that "all the hype around Medvedeva" at TCC might have had some affect on some Canadian skaters at the club.. Daleman is Canadian, and in a Canadian Club she should rightfully be the #1 and a star, and not a foreigner, no matter house famous he/she is.

I wouldn't see that as being the case at all and my TCC sources haven't pointed me in that direction either.

Keep in mind that over the last 2 seasons Gabby has had a number of mental and physical problems that have taken her out of training for weeks and months at a time. I highly doubt she'd be miffed at not being a TCC priority when skating hasn't been a total priority in her own life recently...for reasons that are very much understandable.

Also, she wasn't paying for that much of Brian's time when Evgenia was not there. Medvedeva likely replaced the time eaten up by Javvy, not Gabby, so I don't immediately see the friction.

Finsta

I am shocked at the amount of energy people are giving the year old break up between a coach and an athlete. It’s very unhealthy situation and if Eteri is still carrying on, I am thinking this could be part of why Medvedeva wanted to leave. Eteri and her team seem obsessed with Medvedeva. Leave the poor girl alone and move on

Tinami Amori

Yuna, Yuzuru ...
Yuna left TCC in summer 2010, when Daleman could walk under a dining room table in mother's high heals.. Daleman debuted in JGP only in 2012..... :D
Yuzuru ... don't recall him transferring to Ladies Singles.. :D and able to cause Daleman any anxiety....

Keep in mind that over the last 2 seasons Gabby has had a number of mental and physical problems that have taken her out of training for weeks and months at a time.
That's an important issue. How could her coaching staff have overlooked 2 seasons of such serious issues? not help, not deal with it? what caused them, in this correct and friendly "north american club"? She was clearly not herself, and exhibited a very alarming behavior of exaggerating the thinness in her fotos artificially ... that was and is alarming in itself...
April 2018..... https://www.instagram.com/p/BiDRqgTFS1G/
April 2019..... https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwx4zCPD4H2/

She was not training in "Eteri's boot camp" or with "100 thin jumping beans".... North American coaches are trained well in all the PC issues.... Why were Daleman's issues NEGLECTED?

I highly doubt she'd be miffed at not being a TCC priority when skating hasn't been a total priority in her own life recently...for reasons that are very much understandable.

Also, she wasn't paying for that much of Brian's time when Evgenia was not there. Medvedeva likely replaced the time eaten up by Javvy, not Gabby, so I don't immediately see the friction.

It is not about "time spent"... many coaches coach multiple students and one can only skate so many hours per day. It is the psychological factors...

I see a different picture, and "it is not about Medvedeva" as an individual, but a general concept of "Big Name International Female Star" being the centre of attention at your rink while at the same time "your future competition", and the Main Coach spending a lot of effort to push "that other Big Star" ahead because of his ego and a challenge he started with a foreign coach.

Someone in Daleman's position would naturally feel "pushed back stage". If Daleman had confidence issues by that time, and given she was a Canadian National Champion, and Osmond is likely to retire, this was a perfect opportunity by the coaching team at TCC to boost her ego: you're our #1 Canadian Lady, you're our priority, we're all for you, you're the Star.

Sometimes a skater/athlete in doubt needs to be told "we are all here for you, you're #1".. That did not happen. TCC main team neglected Daleman and her state, because they were too busy proving they and their methods are "better than Russians".... (given also their excitement about Kurakova.. :lol:).

Perky Shae Lynn

This is insane. Gaby's issues have nothing to do with Medvedeva. Literally, nothing.

Japanfan

That's an important issue. How could her coaching staff have overlooked 2 seasons of such serious issues? not help, not deal with it? what caused them, in this correct and friendly "north american club"? She was clearly not herself, and exhibited a very alarming behavior of exaggerating the thinness in her fotos artificially ... that was and is alarming in itself...
April 2018..... https://www.instagram.com/p/BiDRqgTFS1G/
April 2019..... https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwx4zCPD4H2/

She was not training in "Eteri's boot camp" or with "100 thin jumping beans".... North American coaches are trained well in all the PC issues.... Why were Daleman's issues NEGLECTED?

We don't know whether Daleman's coaches were aware of her issues and if they were, whether or not they addressed them.

They may not have even seen the pictures. Coaches have other things to do than follow skaters' Instragrams.

And in the case of eating disorders, people are pretty good at hiding them.

bardtoob

Yuna left TCC in summer 2010, when Daleman could walk under a dining room table in mother's high heals.. Daleman debuted in JGP only in 2012..... :D
Yuzuru ... don't recall him transferring to Ladies Singles.. :D and able to cause Daleman any anxiety....

Yeah, I don't care ... And I just heard that Lee Barkell has always been Gabby Daleman's main coach, and she is following him to Granite Club only for that reason. Barkell is going to Granite Club because it is Granite Club, which has a 100+ year tradition, is invitation only and produced Kurt Browning, Patrick Chan, Barbara Ann Scott, and Barbara Underhill and Paul Martini.

Finsta

Yeah, I don't care ... And I just heard that Lee Barkell has always been Gabby Daleman's main coach, and she is following him to Granite Club only for that reason. Barkell is going to Granite Club because it is Granite Club, which has a 100+ year tradition, is invitation only and produced Kurt Browning, Patrick Chan, Barbara Ann Scott, and Barbara Underhill and Paul Martini.

Thank you for providing facts and not rumors. Sounds like Russia likes soap opera drama and creating it.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Thank you for providing facts and not rumors. Sounds like Russia likes soap opera drama and creating it.

I think that it's pretty obvious that Russia is not alone in that. The whole world is in :drama: mode this day over things large, small and infinitesimal, and it's getting worse every day.

Rock2

It is not about "time spent"... many coaches coach multiple students and one can only skate so many hours per day. It is the psychological factors...

Someone in Daleman's position would naturally feel "pushed back stage". If Daleman had confidence issues by that time, and given she was a Canadian National Champion, and Osmond is likely to retire, this was a perfect opportunity by the coaching team at TCC to boost her ego: you're our #1 Canadian Lady, you're our priority, we're all for you, you're the Star.

I sort of get your point but this feels very abstract to me, still. If it's not 'time spent' then what are the action items that TCC would need to take for her to feel like a priority? Without some specifics I would say any issue in this vein would be purely a matter of Daleman's to resolve in her head.

I would guess that TCC including Brian likely played a significant role in getting Gabby to world's through both a nurturing training plan and relationship/influence with SC, which had every option to leave her off the team. If that doesn't make you feel like a priority, then I'm at a loss at where the gap is.

I put little value in a skater feeling uplifted by a pep talk that 'you're #1 in our hearts and minds, dear'. At this level, and with Gabby's age and maturity, I would think actions speak louder than words; so it's the action steps that I think should be at the center of this sort of conversation.

lauravvv

I believe bardtoob's comment was about foreign stars being number 1 and a priority in a club in general (as was your original statement to which bardtoob was responding). It was not just specifically about Daleman vs. Medvedeva.

Tinami Amori

Who's said Dalemann's issues were NEGLECTED? From what I've read, Dalemann herself has taken responsibility for the issues she has been dealing with.
Daleman had insecurity issues from very early age, she is still dealing with them as it seems (unfortunately, she is my favorite Canada lady over Osmond). While one needs to work out one's own issues, "foreign stars that take up all the attention" at one's rink do not make one feel "more secure and appreciated".

Gabby has stated numerous times that she has a strong connection to Lee Barkell and that he is an ideal coach for her. I have never even seen her hint that she was neglected.
Well, Eteri's students gave many interviews that they are not forced to do anything, Eteri helps them with many life issues, they love training and try hard elements themselves; former students give interviews what a good coach Eteri was.... They don't just "hint at lack of problems" but they state it..... And yet it does not stop a large volume of North American skating fans to keep on insisting "there are bad issues, even if they don't talk about it"...... :D

It's not about Barkell vs. Orser... it's about the "atmosphere at the rink", Daleman, while at this time a #1 Canadian Lady is not treated as one.

Russian press just restating facts - #1 Canadian Lady has issues, and that people are leaving TCC/Orser's club. Gogolev's family first switched from Orser to Barkell, stating Orser does not give Gogolev the needed amount of attention, because he travels too much, engaged with "non Canadian issues and projects"..

Orser is helping China, bring shows to Korea, training Kurakova from Russia/Poland, engaged in an "international challenge" with a foreign coach across the ocean, doing many things for his "ego", vs. for "the good of Canadian figure skating"..... No wonder that the prospective and top Canadian skaters are leaving... He does not act like "Canadian top coach".. he is out for himself..

I sort of get your point but this feels very abstract to me, still. If it's not 'time spent' then what are the action items that TCC would need to take for her to feel like a priority? Without some specifics I would say any issue in this vein would be purely a matter of Daleman's to resolve in her head.
But then if the "situation at the Canadian rink how it is" is up to the skater to resolve in "her head", then would it not be the same for "former Eteri's students" who find it is too much pressure to compete with top skaters, and leave? Each skater, if not held captive, finds his/her own solution, it is UP TO THE SKATER to decide where and how to train.. Obviously, Daleman decided to leave Orser's club/TCC.... no biggie.....

But i do think Orser created a very unhealthy and discouraging environment at TCC, not concentrating more on Canadian skaters and issues in favor of "all sorts of foreign skaters and projects".

I think SkateCanada needs to address this issue, giving priority to so many foreign skaters and projects by Orser, while CANADIAN skaters are leaving his club, and in case of Gogolev leaving to train with a foreign coach in another country.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

You seem to be the only one that is making any issue if it. Others have moved on. Coach changes happen. It’s sport. And life, for most, goes on
I may be the only one on FSU...... but plenty of people in Russia are interested in what's happening in one of the top Canadian Figure Skating Clubs, with one of the top Canadian Figure Skating Coach Orser.... and that's why the articles are written and discussions go on.. I just posted one of them.

Orser initiated and verbalized several challenges against Tutberidze and Sambo-70, and this past season he lost, in more than one regard and more than once.. But the important part is the few of his Canadian pupils - they lost out the most and had to move. Not right.

mackiecat

Orser has never really coached top Sr Canadians. He has had one man champion-Nam. Daleman is the only Sr a Lady from TCCSC and she was coached by Barkell. Orser has always been an international coach who happens to be Canadian and coach in Canada.

Colonel Green

Obviously, Daleman decided to leave Orser's club/TCC.... no biggie.....
No, Gabby's main coach took a top job at a different club, which means (presumably, this hasn't been explicitly confirmed) that she'd have to either move with him or get a different coach.

Gabrielle's social media is a pretty open book as far as her attitude toward things goes, and she's effusive about the TCC (and Evgenia, for that matter). If she's leaving, it's because Barkell is leaving, not because she wants to. That's the same with Barkell's other students, apart from Gogolev, whose situation is separate (as Orser himself acknowledged).

Orser is helping China, bring shows to Korea, training Kurakova from Russia/Poland, engaged in an "international challenge" with a foreign coach across the ocean, doing many things for his "ego", vs. for "the good of Canadian figure skating"..... No wonder that the prospective and top Canadian skaters are leaving... He does not act like "Canadian top coach".. he is out for himself.
But i do think Orser created a very unhealthy and discouraging environment at TCC, not concentrating more on Canadian skaters and issues in favor of "all sorts of foreign skaters and projects".

I think SkateCanada needs to address this issue, giving priority to so many foreign skaters and projects by Orser, while CANADIAN skaters are leaving his club, and in case of Gogolev leaving to train with a foreign coach in another country.
If you're being serious, you're very misinformed about how coaching works here. Skate Canada has no role in how coaches spend their time or which students they take -- particularly at the elite training facilities that exist as magnets for international students as well.

Orser has always been a "Canadian top coach" in the sense that he is a top coach at a Canadian club. From a purely nationalistic perspective, the smattering of Canadian students he's taken on over the years have never been especially significant. He helped deliver exactly 1 of Canada's last 25 Worlds medals, and he wasn't even Gabrielle's main coach.

Skate Canada doesn't care where Gogolev trains as long as the results keep coming. Raf's last notable Canadian student was Jeffrey Buttle, and he helped him to a World title and Olympic bronze.

Finsta

Finally. Voice of reason. Although it seems tinami has hatred towards Canada because Medvedeva switches a coach 😂

puglover

Experience tells me that growing up and teenage years are just tough and many, if not most, young people suffer from insecurities of one form or another. Sensitive people often struggle more. Being a public figure probably also exacerbates this or at least makes it harder to hide. Anxiety, depression, eating disorders are the symptoms of this turmoil and are not restricted to any parenting philosophy, culture, country. Social media can really provide that extra kick when the person is most vulnerable. It also provides an avenue for those suffering to realize they are not alone as others, even those who appear from the outside to "have it all" are not immune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information