Figure Skating Unscripted Comedy Series "I Have Nothing" to stream on Crave

Sonata

Interview with the creator on The Social

I admit, I don’t think I quite understood the concept at first, but this looks like a lot of fun!

And to answer the host’s question - yes, I HAVE heard a piece of music before and thought it was perfect for figure skating and choreographed it in my mind. Good for Carolyn Taylor for actually doing it.

Last edited:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
The 6 episode series "I Have Nothing" is now available on Crave (on demand) - it's listed under the Comedies - A-Z.

honey

I don’t know how this will play with non skating fans, or even more recent fans. But it really is a love letter to 1988 and that that era of skating. It includes Peter Jensen for crying out loud :lol:. So for those of us who remember that era, its great fun.

In case anyone cares about spoilers

Maybe my favorite moment was Sandra doing the lift off ice with Paul Martini with perfectly pointed toes and beautiful arms. And then shrugging it off like “oh I haven’t done that in years”. :lol:

Sonata

I don’t know how this will play with non skating fans, or even more recent fans. But it really is a love letter to 1988 and that that era of skating. It includes Peter Jensen for crying out loud :lol:. So for those of us who remember that era, its great fun.
I had the same thoughts!!! I was like wow, they even have Peter Jensen! This is a deep cut for figure skating fans. I would also describe this as a love letter to 1988 Olympics and also early 1990s skating. I almost binged all the episodes but had to stop myself from finishing it. It’s also really funny! It’s too bad it’s on Crave. It really deserves a larger audience.

From a non-skating point of view, it is also a well done documentary. Variety gave it an excellent review: https://variety.com/2023/tv/global/...ave-docuseries-i-have-nothing-1235730507/amp/

Sonata

Oh also, after hearing that Miura/Kihara are in the market for a new sp, I feel like we’re so close to the obvious answer of I Have Nothing ;). Them landing a swish throw 3Z on the crescendo is exactly what Carolyn was dreaming of!
I saw them and hoped that Sandra Bezic would work with them…. She describes pairs skating so beautifully. I saw your eyes light up, Sandra!

SkateGuard

Just binge-watched this in one sitting and I'm still laughing. Things you should know...

• It's an absolutely hilarious premise and what makes the show work is the fact that everyone buys in to the absurdity of it and are such good sports.
  • Carolyn Taylor is just as hilarious if not moreso than she was on Baroness von Sketch.
  • There's a life-size cardboard cutout of Katarina Witt in the Carmen dress in every episode and Katarina is actually a huge part of the plot of show.
  • SO. MANY. CAMEOS. A who's who of figure skating... Sandra Bezic, Katia Gordeeva and David Pelletier, Brian Orser, Barbara Underhill and Paul Martini, Katarina Witt, Kurt Browning, Liz Manley, Elladj Balde, Adam Rippon, Kristi Yamaguchi, Tara Lipinski, Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara, Bruno Marcotte, Don Jackson, Peter Jensen... probably forgetting a ton of people.
  • The skating performance in the finale ends up being fabulous!

Sonata

I finished the series and got teary eyed at the end! It is surprisingly touching, it has something to say about honouring your childhood heroes and pursuing your wildest dreams long after childhood. It also provided a detailed look at how programs are put together. I also loved seeing 1980-1990s skating royalty together again. Katia Gordeeva is indeed the goddess of pairs skating. (I realized later that her IG account contains some inadvertent spoilers about this series. I think the series also hints that Sandra Bezic may have played matchmaker for Katia and David by inviting them to skate together in a show.) There are also subtle nods to 1988 Olympics only fans might pick up. For example, when they’re getting ready for the finale, they start playing Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 4, which was one of the pieces of music from G and G’s 1988 long program.

The series made me miss old school style skating.

I finished the series tonight. It’s so great. A total love letter to the 88 Olympics, which inspired me to skate, so I get it. I laughed out loud, I teared up at the end, it was really well done. I also loved David Pelletier saying that he prefers his skates on the ice. I can relate :lol: I have no idea how Carolyn sold the concept, which is completely ludicrous, but I’m glad she did. Sandra Bezic was living her best life :rofl: Just the best kind of feel good tv.

shutterbug

Heads up for anyone who has a cable subscription (or equivalent) - Episode 1 of the series will be broadcast on the main CTV network this evening. It's on at 9:00 pm CDT, but check your local listings.

ETA a correction - it's only a half hour, so start time is 9:30 pm CDT.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So is there some place people outside Canada can watch this? Crave is a paid service. What about CTV?

DynamicMutation

I watched 2.5 episodes and everyone in it so far, to me, is funnier than Carolyn, in that they see the ludicrousness of this and wonder where this woman escaped from.
I held off binging so that I can prolong the laughs and even with spoilers I’m looking forward to the climactic performance (which sadly does not take place at the saddledome despite Carolyn’s initial request:lol:)!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I watched the first episode on CTV and loved it. Sadly at this point CTV does not have any more episodes scheduled 😢 but fingers crossed.

SkateGuard

I Have Nothing received three nominations for the Canadian Screen Awards:

Best Lead Performer, Comedy (Carolyn Taylor)
Best Guest Performance, Comedy (Mae Martin)
Best Photography, Comedy

Full list is here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information