Gymnastics News #21 - Tumbling on to Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatfan

I don’t know about anyone else here, but I’m :watch: for next GymCastic episode. It’s usually in my Stitcher feed every Wednesday morning. It being late is making me believe that the rants will be EPIC.

My podcast feed loaded it up but there's no news segment, it's an interview with Morgan Hurd and somebody named Heath. Darn!

ilovepaydays

My podcast feed loaded it up but there's no news segment, it's an interview with Morgan Hurd and somebody named Heath. Darn!

I know............WAIT, Morgan had surgery on her elbow? I’m surprised she recovered so quickly. It must have been a really minor procedure.

skatfan

I know............WAIT, Morgan had surgery on her elbow? I’m surprised she recovered so quickly. It must have been a really minor procedure.

Right? These gymnasts are really unreal in their capability.

I guess we get the "dumpster fire" segment next week.

VGThuy

Just in case anyone was wondering what’s going on with Simone.....

So....the first one looks like the Biles into another layout, right? And the other one is a triple double, correct?

Geez. She’s simply incredible. I know some people aren’t a fan of her style or whatever, but without Simone, I don’t think gymnastics would be as exciting or interesting to watch in the past few seasons given the competition (not their fault as gymnasts are asked to do so much technically speaking in a judging system that was created to just deduct for everything that gymnastics now just looks so stiff and mechanical these days. IMO, Biles has made gymnastics in the past six years or so exciting given all of that that was made to prevent gymnasts from actually performing these days. That said 2017 Worlds was interesting because of what a nailbiter it turned out to be.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Simone is not human. She makes those hard elements look SO easy! :eek:

BTW-In case anyone is interested, Danell Leyva is going to be on American Ninja Warrior tomorrow night (and I think Jon Horton is competing on the show again this season but I don't know what city he did or when it airs). :cheer:

FiveRinger

Geez. She’s simply incredible. I know some people aren’t a fan of her style or whatever, but without Simone, I don’t think gymnastics would be as exciting or interesting to watch in the past few seasons given the competition (not their fault as gymnasts are asked to do so much technically speaking in a judging system that was created to just deduct for everything that gymnastics now just looks so stiff and mechanical these days. IMO, Biles has made gymnastics in the past six years or so exciting given all of that that was made to prevent gymnasts from actually performing these days. That said 2017 Worlds was interesting because of what a nailbiter it turned out to be.
Agreed. If nothing else, her sheer athleticism is to be respected. Not only does she have unspeakable difficulty, she makes everything look so easy, even though we know it's not. I'm not a gymnast, but it looks to me as though she actually plays it safe during competition. I wonder what her true potential really is. I don't think she's fully tapped into yet, which is remarkable. For such a gifted athlete, she has been blessed not to have sustained a lot of injuries, either. She could compete for as long as she wants, literally.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Agreed. If nothing else, her sheer athleticism is to be respected. Not only does she have unspeakable difficulty, she makes everything look so easy, even though we know it's not. I'm not a gymnast, but it looks to me as though she actually plays it safe during competition. I wonder what her true potential really is. I don't think she's fully tapped into yet, which is remarkable. For such a gifted athlete, she has been blessed not to have sustained a lot of injuries, either. She could compete for as long as she wants, literally.
And she always looks so happy out there.

Rob

Beach Bum
Yes, she looks happy, it's a far cry from the days that the US gymnasts looked so scared or miserable. Actually Morgan Hurd looks happy too. I guess it is easier to look happy when you are winning.
Even though Simone does not have the long lines and toe point, she does the best she can in that department - she keeps everything in alignment. I generally like the ballet style gymnasts, but I really like Simone because she throws the hardest stuff with good form.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
It's been interesting to watch US gymnasts lately. It's like a spell has been broken and the ladies feel that it's ok to do things THEIR way. Good thing, as the athletes may be fending for themselves come Tokyo given the USAGym dysfunction.

ilovepaydays

Here’s some analysis of how difficult Simone’s new floor routine could be.

The Biles Front Layout would still be G rated but would also get a 0.2 connection bonus.

The Tucked Double-Triple (sorry for mixing that up in my earlier post :duh:) would at least be an I rated skill but could be a J rated skill! I don’t know the process of the ratings of new skills being assigned by the FIG. Would they have to score it before Simone attempts it in competition? Didn’t they have to score her new vault before she did it at 2018 Worlds?

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Here’s some analysis of how difficult Simone’s new floor routine could be.

The Biles Front Layout would still be G rated but would also get a 0.2 connection bonus.

The Tucked Double-Triple (sorry for mixing that up in my earlier post :duh:) would at least be an I rated skill but could be a J rated skill! I don’t know the process of the ratings of new skills being assigned by the FIG. Would they have to score it before Simone attempts it in competition? Didn’t they have to score her new vault before she did it at 2018 Worlds?
I think they give it a provisional rating when the element is submitted.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
For anyone who is interested, Danell actually completed the Ninja Warrior course tonight and will be part of the top 30 athletes in the LA City Finals in a few weeks! Jon Horton and John Orosco were in the crowd cheering him on too. He was fabulous and made it all look easy! :cheer:

Rob

Beach Bum
It's been interesting to watch US gymnasts lately. It's like a spell has been broken and the ladies feel that it's ok to do things THEIR way. Good thing, as the athletes may be fending for themselves come Tokyo given the USAGym dysfunction.
I agree, I think Morgan Hurd peaks when she feels it is best for her to peak, and she doesn't freak out when she's not perfect at Classics or Nationals or whatever. She doesn't feel the need to be perfect at every competition and peak too early. She's confident she can show readiness when the time comes. It is definitely different than Karolyi regime thinking.

VGThuy

Plus as an athlete rep, what did she do to rep the athletes when all of that was happening?

bardtoob

Last edited:

VGThuy

Recently I have been admiring how modern Amy Chow's gymnastics look.

Both at the 2012 and 2016 Olympics, the lowest D score in the event finals was 5.8, so with 5.6 and 5.7 under respective CoP, Amy could have surely upgraded to be competitive.

In a Mag 7 reunion leading up to the 2012 Olympics, Amanda Borden commented about how Amy Chow's gymnastics could still hang, and it seemed every other member of the Mag 7 agreed with that sentiment whole-heartedly. Borden also joked that they needed Amy to put on a leotard and do Bars because at the time, bars was a weaker event for the U.S. and where Russia could have caught up. Of course, the U.S. Bars workers in 2012 did their job and made sure that didn't happen. I was glad Borden did that (and I saw why she was named team captain) because Amy is not the type that would toot her own horn in any way. She just looked shy when Borden was saying that. I remember a story on Amy getting married and her then-fiance (now husband of some years) was like "wait, I never saw your Olympic medals." and she was just like oh, they're tucked away in a safety deposit box. It turns out it had been many years since she saw them herself (maybe like more than a decade).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information