From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

mjb52

I believe in his hearts of hearts he misses Lena greatly but he completely annihilated that bridge and there is no way back.

Come ON now. I am a conflict-avoidant person and hate to get into it with you again a second time in one day but you have absolutely got to be kidding me with this. I'd love to see even a single shred of evidence to back this one up. I mean all things are possible on this green earth but I can't say it seems super likely based on the interviews I've seen/read. Also "their first real competition"? What about the two Grand Prixs, the Grand Prix Final, and Russian Nationals?

Last edited:

Madison25

Uh...the ladies have to do a lot worse than they've done all season to go down to one spot.
I suppose the team for Worlds will be Alina (who can anytime implode), Liza(who has a risky layout, so she can do many mistakes as well) and Stasya (who is consistent in being inconsistent):angryfire. So I would say that Russia has many chances to drop to 2 spot for next year. They should go with Sofya instead of Stasya, but they will not give to Mishin 2 spots and anyway Stasya is RusFed darling.
I agree with Plushenko that Kolyada should give a try with Mishin. Nothing to lose there.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Samodurova will surely be in the top 10. I feel like Tuktamysheva will also be top 10 (yes I’m putting her on the world team) a medal might not happen but I feel like it’s a bit dramatic to think that the Russian women will go down to 1 spot. It is
Interesting that (IMO) the 3rd spot is between Zagitova and Medvedeva. Konstantinova isn’t in the conversation anymore.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I suppose the team for Worlds will be Alina (who can anytime implode), Liza(who has a risky layout, so she can do many mistakes as well) and Stasya (who is consistent in being inconsistent):angryfire. So I would say that Russia has many chances to drop to 2 spot for next year. They should go with Sofya instead of Stasya, but they will not give to Mishin 2 spots and anyway Stasya is RusFed darling.
I agree with Plushenko that Kolyada should give a try with Mishin. Nothing to lose there.

You can’t be serious. The RSF is not going to drop the European champion from their world team. Sofia and Liza have been the two most consistent senior Russian ladies this season. They should both be competing for podium spots at worlds. Who cares if they have the same coach?

Alina is a question mark in terms of her performance but she has not finished lower than second this season. I don’t see them dropping her. Anything can happen in competitions but the odds are in Russia’s favor to retain three spots.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
Orser said in a recent interview that Med will be doing an internal Russian event in Feb and that a worlds spot is still a possibility.

annie_mg

Orser said in a recent interview that Med will be doing an internal Russian event in Feb and that a worlds spot is still a possibility.
I know Med is an ambitious girl and staying home for the rest of the season is hard, but I really think that she would benefit greatly if she stays behind the spotlight and comes back fighting in September. Not sure her going to worlds is such a great idea!

Lana K

In mourning for Kaori's 2022-2023 season hair
Russian men have 3 spots for Worlds. Are they thinking of dumping Koyalda or Kovtun off the world team?

Has there ever been a situation in Russia where the reigning national champion wasn't sent to Worlds? The likelihood of that happening just seems so low, doesn't it?

Perky Shae Lynn

I wouldn't worry about Medvedeva's mental state. Looking back at last year, and what she went through with growing, getting hurt, and having Alina on her heels - all pulling off THAT Olympic FS, the girl is mentally tough. I think she understands why she's having a rough year, and she doesn't seem nearly as stressed as Alina.

Tut, Samodurova & Alina are the likely team for the worlds, but I would rather have Med. Even if she bombs, she'll get a lot of love from the crowd and fellow skaters - and come out feeling good. There is nothing positive that would come out of the worlds for Alina, unless she wins.

Last edited:

Bigbird

Come ON now. I am a conflict-avoidant person and hate to get into it with you again a second time in one day but you have absolutely got to be kidding me with this. I'd love to see even a single shred of evidence to back this one up. I mean all things are possible on this green earth but I can't say it seems super likely based on the interviews I've seen/read. Also "their first real competition"? What about the two Grand Prixs, the Grand Prix Final, and Russian Nationals?

Maybe I haven't made myself clear they are a good team, Zhulin has hidden their flaws expertly, but they lack their own face, originality and soul. IMHO, their svengali type (teacher and student) on-ice relationship makes it impossible. These are the intangibles that make a team draw you in. On the contrary, you are just drawn to watch CB's FD over and over because of the beautiful relationship they convey on the ice, personally I don't see it. But hey, that's why dance is so subjective.

hanca

Values her privacy
Has there ever been a situation in Russia where the reigning national champion wasn't sent to Worlds? The likelihood of that happening just seems so low, doesn't it?
I don’t think the national champion is safe. Nationals was the selection competition for Europeans, but the federation was clear that the selection for worlds will be depending on the results from Europeans. So it would be quite fair to say to Kovtun and Konstantinova that Europeans was their rewards for being the highest scoring competitor, but as they both underperformed, they won’t be going to worlds.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Well, Kovtun was the national champion when they sent Plushenko to the Olympics instead. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they opted to not send him to Worlds.

Perky Shae Lynn

Well, Kovtun was the national champion when they sent Plushenko to the Olympics instead. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they opted to not send him to Worlds.
Neither would I. Kovtun's "performance" was beyond embarrassing. While Kolyada was having a meltdown, he was fighting hard. Kovtun gave up. His lack of fight was pathetic. It was disrespectful to the audience, to his coach, and to his team. If he doesn't want to compete, he should retire.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Neither would I. Kovtun's "performance" was beyond embarrassing. While Kolyada was having a horrible meltdown, he was fighting to the end. Kovtun gave up within the first 15 seconds. You just can't give up like this and be a respected athlete. I thought his lack of fight was quiet appalling. If he doesn't want to compete, he should retire.
The thing is, he does want to compete. Both he and Kolyada just lose it if the first jump fails. Every. Time. So does Aliev. They are going to make the Russian Cup Finals a Nationals do over. None of them are guaranteed anything.

hanca

Values her privacy
Neither would I. Kovtun's "performance" was beyond embarrassing. While Kolyada was having a meltdown, he was fighting hard. Kovtun gave up. His lack of fight was pathetic. It was disrespectful to the audience, to his coach, and to his team. If he doesn't want to compete, he should retire.
I will never forget Alissa Czisny’s last time at worlds. Nothing worked, she kept falling all over the place, and yet the next jump she would again go for a triple. She just wouldn’t take the easy route. She could have decided to do the rest of the program with doubles and limit the falls, but she wouldn’t. She continued to fight until the end. Compare that with Kovtun. He skated as if he couldn’t give a damn. 2Lo and 2Lz-eu-2 Sal is a novice level jumps. None of the 18 girls at Russian junior nationals will dare to put that in her program. I believe he wants it, according to his interview he did try to change his ways to get the results. Maybe he just doesn’t have the personality for elite sport, and then there is nothing one can do about it. When things get tough, the tough keep going. What if one isn’t the tough one?

Perky Shae Lynn

The thing is, he does want to compete. Both he and Kolyada just lose it if the first jump fails. Every. Time. So does Aliev. They are going to make the Russian Cup Finals a Nationals do over. None of them are guaranteed anything.
I agree, they are all incredibly inconsistent. Kolyada is the only one who potentially could be a contender; he is a beautiful skater. But he fails every. single. time. I am not ready to give up on him; with three falls and an injured wrist (not to mentioned injured pride) he was fighting. Kovtun made me sick. He didn't look like he wanted to be there.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I agree, they are all incredibly inconsistent. Kolyada is the only one who potentially could be a contender; he is a beautiful skater. But he fails every. single. time. I am not ready to give up on him; with three falls and an injured wrist (not to mentioned injured pride) he was fighting. Kovtun made me sick. He didn't look like he wanted to be there.
His coaching team thought it would be a good idea for him to skip morning practice. Brilliant strategy Buianova. It's not like he needs assistance to have a melt down.

caseyedwards

Yes! You have the doronina precedent but Kovtun and kolyada are more accomplished!

Lana K

In mourning for Kaori's 2022-2023 season hair

Right, I had totally forgotten about that! Thanks for the reminder.

Yeah, ITA. Love or hate Kovtun, he looked like a totally different skater at Russian Nationals. So, I don't know if he "doesn't want to compete," but the way he handled his FS was kind of shocking.

And Kolyada's fight was impressive, especially considering he'd so obviously hurt his wrist. My heart went out to him, but it's so frustrating to watch him compete. A coaching change seems in order. Or a good sports psychologist. Or... something, anything. :slinkaway

S

SmallFairy

And Kovtun totally gave up on the program too. Then for me, it is over. Don't send him to worlds. He dropped his shoulders forward, he hunched, he just skated around. Bad enough already, but you can't do that in CARMEN!!! Alina has melted down with Carmen a few times, but she never gave up on the intensity and the character, not at this Euros either. Kolyada never gave up his Carmen. He kept fighting.

Perky Shae Lynn

Just watched Boikova & Kozlovskiy exhibition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YATRDQ3rqHk&feature=youtu.be

They are the real deal. And different from most Russian pairs we've seen. The classical lines are there; but they are also sunshine, rainbows and unicorns types of personalities. Cute and funny. Very easy on the eyes. And they seem to adore each other. I am not going to fall in love... I refuse to fall in love with a Russian pair.... At least I will try to stay strong.

Bigbird

Just watched Boikova & Kozlovskiy exhibition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YATRDQ3rqHk&feature=youtu.be

They are the real deal, but also different from most Russian pairs we've seen. The classical lines are there; but they have very playful and joyful personalities. Very easy on the eyes. And they seem to adore each other. I am not going to fall in love... I refuse to fall in love with a Russian pair.... At least I will try to stay strong.

Moskvina knows her craft.

barbarafan

Yeah, ITA. Love or hate Kovtun, he looked like a totally different skater at Russian Nationals. So, I don't know if he "doesn't want to compete," but the way he handled his FS was kind of shocking.

And Kolyada's fight was impressive, especially considering he'd so obviously hurt his wrist. My heart went out to him, but it's so frustrating to watch him compete. A coaching change seems in order. Or a good sports psychologist. Or... something, anything. :slinkaway

Kolyada is great technically and performance wise. His illness and hospital stay was not a joke. Living a regular day to day existance is one thing...but performing at a top elite level are not comparable. He was great at nationals but he also barely remembers most of it and was probably acting on total muscle memory and may not have even felt whatever pain was going through his body. It is almost 2 months until Worlds. I would not count him out. I know nothing about his coach so will not say anything about what is happening with his training but if he was sent to a new coach they might insist on medical examination and he could be told to rest with basic exercise for a few weeks before heavy training. Too close to worlds for any big changes. If it is the best decision it should happen after worlds.

Ka3sha

They are the real deal. And different from most Russian pairs we've seen. The classical lines are there; but they are also sunshine, rainbows and unicorns types of personalities. Cute and funny. Very easy on the eyes. And they seem to adore each other. I am not going to fall in love... I refuse to fall in love with a Russian pair.... At least I will try to stay strong.
They are adorable, but also very well-spoken, especially for their age.
Here’s a moment from press-conference , when the guys were talking about their programs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yn4_gFPpxU

muffinplus

Ok but what are they skating to :shuffle:

They seem to have personality... but I don't like that they are skating to very traditional pairs music programs

Perky Shae Lynn

Ok but what are they skating to :shuffle:

They seem to have personality... but I don't like that they are skating to very traditional pairs music programs
I love their FS. They are aristocratic and refined. The program is a great fit, IMO. I think the exhibition was to Belorussian folk/pop music, to honor the host city? I heard "Belorussia" several times, so that would explain the choice of music. The skate itself was delightul.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

I Think a coach can do only so much. Either the skater has the consistency or he/she doesn't. Delivering under pressure is the key. Michelle Kwan had it. Sasha Cohen didn't.

Occasionally a talented but inconsistent skater produces a masterpiece, but it doesn't mean the end of the inconsistency. It is very exciting when that special performance happens, like Paul Wylie or Philip Candeloro in the 1990s. I am sure there is a great performance in Kolyada. We don't know when it will happen.

A sports psychologist may be a good idea though. It had helped Brian Orser and Liz Manley In the past. Tamara Moskvina is both coach and psychologist, and she works miracles with ber students (e.g. Elena Bechke). I am not saying Misha should go to her but adding a sports psychologist to his team may be a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information