Royalty Thread #7: Do They Get Frequent Flier Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Euginia look absolutely gorgeous. Her dress was simply divine. The tiara was simply beautiful. Full class act.

I read that Kate makes a point of wearing dresses she has already worn before to occasions such as this so that her dress (which has already been seen and oohhh-aahhed over) does not become a focus.

screech

I read that Kate makes a point of wearing dresses she has already worn before to occasions such as this so that her dress (which has already been seen and oohhh-aahhed over) does not become a focus.
I don't think she's work this *exact* dress before, but she did wear it in a different, more pink shade at the 2017 Trooping the Colour (I like today's more raspberry coloured version better)

Kind of funny, but the Queen usually wears bold colours so that she can be more easily seen, but today, since everyone else went colourful, she went very pale, making her stand out in the opposite way from usual. Clever!

skatesindreams

The Duchess of Cambridge often wears similar styles, she enjoys.

I was sorry that so many of the ladies had to "fight" the winds as they entered the church.
Mother Nature sometimes defeats the careful planning that goes into their attire.

Lorac

I don't think she's work this *exact* dress before, but she did wear it in a different, more pink shade at the 2017 Trooping the Colour (I like today's more raspberry coloured version better)

Kind of funny, but the Queen usually wears bold colours so that she can be more easily seen, but today, since everyone else went colourful, she went very pale, making her stand out in the opposite way from usual. Clever!
The Duchess of Cambridge often wears similar styles, she enjoys.

I was sorry that so many of the ladies had to "fight" the winds as they entered the church.
Mother Nature sometimes defeats the careful planning that goes into their attire.

Kate's go to designer for weddings and Royals functions like Trooping the Colour is Alexandra McQueen - she likes the simple line and as people have said it is a go to style so the focus is very much on the star of the function - be it the Queen or the bride etc- not Kate.

And the ladies in the royal party are all made aware of the Queens colour choice so as not to clash with her. To be honest I was a little amused that the Princess Royal wore a shade of green that was very similar to the Duchess of York's - usually the mother of the bride in a wedding part is allowed to stand out with her dress colour!!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

I read about it at Harpers Bazaar.
They have updated the "Kate's Style Rules to Live By" which had the information I referenced, but this is close.

Kate's choice for Euginia's Wedding
Of course, in the scheme of Kate's wedding-guest looks, this is par for the course. Both pre- and post-royal, Kate tends to gravitate towards soft colours like blue, yellow and cream for weddings in an attempt not to draw too much attention to herself.

Jenny

From the Bloc
This is my favorite wedding dress and look from her generation of royals.

I kind of agree, but at the same time I put Kate's dress in a different category. The other brides are very much reflective of the times, their personal styles, good for them. But Kate's had a timelessness to it, and I felt it was very regal. My first thought when I saw it was how great the portrait will look hundreds of years from now, right up there with the portraits of kings and queens in the past. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if she and the designers had that in mind.

JJH

I'm interpreting "this generation of royals" as Queen Elizabeth's granddaughters and her grandsons' brides. Out of Autumn Kelly, Zara Phillips, Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and Eugenie, I prefer Eugenie's gown. Out of the same group, I prefer Meghan Markle's veil.
I haven't decided among the tiaras. This requires much research and pondering.

Were Peter Phillips' wedding to Autumn Kelly and Zara Phillips wedding' to Mike Tindall broadcast on the BBC?

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I am not a royal watcher at all, but I wanted to duck in here and say that I LOVED Eugenie's dress and jewels. So very classy and elegant.

Me too. I liked her dress more than Kate's (don't like lace) or Meghan's (too plain & not fitted). The inverted pleats in the front & the draping at the back were gorgeous & the fabric was fabulous. The only thing I would have done differently was the cuff end of the sleeves. I wish they had tapered a bit.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yes, just so adorable. Prince George and Princess Charlotte are going to be old pros at being in wedding parties at this rate! This must be their 4th or 5th wedding in only a year-and-a-half if I'm not mistaken. ;) I think the designs for the children at Eugenie's wedding look the best (out of Pippa, Meghan, and Eugenie). But then, Eugenie had the advantage of seeing what they'd chosen and perhaps taking some inspiration to come up with a unique look for the children, working with whoever designed the kids' outfits for her.

How does Naomi Campbell get invited to everything?

:lol: I haven't noticed that she's been invited to everything. But she, like Kate Moss, has been around a very long time and they are Britishers too, so it's not unusual that they've rubbed shoulders with Eugenie and her social set. I think asking how Oprah gets invited to every high profile, high social status event may be more apropos, particularly since Oprah did not actually know either Meghan or Harry (despite Oprah apparently having or seeking an acquaintanceship with Meghan's mother, Doria). ;)

If Camilla is not there because she doesn't like Andrew then NOT impressed, hope that's not true

Reportedly, it's Andrew who is supposed to detest Camilla. And I would imagine that Camilla is not pleased with Andrew's grudges toward Charles regarding royal streamlining plans. ;) In any case, whether it was a matter of convenience or not, Camilla had a prearranged commitment, and it's also been said Camilla's commitment scheduling was complicated by the fact that Eugenie and Jack had to readjust their original date. It all comes out in the wash I suppose. :)

Every family has members that do not get along. The royals are just a very high profile, larger-than-life family. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see a glimpse of the Gloucesters nor some of the Kent cousins in attendance either, nor the Chattos and Snowdens (Princess Margaret's children). Any royals who did not attend was likely due to prior commitments, or else they are not particularly close to Eugenie and the Yorks.

Queen, in an understated colour choice, looks like she's getting a bit tired of all these weddings, poor old dear

Yes. I admire QEII and Pip in the way they carry on with strength and determination. I just recently lost an elderly aunt who lived life on her own terms, strong and independent right to the end. My aunt was 95.

As we know, QEII's mother lived till 102. QEII and Pip receive the best medical care, but at their ages anything can happen at anytime. Pip has already retired and QEII is steadily handing over her responsibilities to the younger generation of royals and cutting back on travel and other tiring activities. She also decided some years ago to stop breeding her corgis and dorgis.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's all subjective about wedding dresses. For royal weddings, I think it's quite a different approach than for non-royal weddings. I think Meghan would have worn her after-party Stella McCartney dress for a non-royal wedding. Since she had to plan for a royal wedding, the stakes were higher and she needed to suit not just herself but also royal tradition and protocol, while thinking outside-the-box and staying within certain strictures.

I think each bride makes choices or should make choices that suit their own body and style preferences. Kate's dress was lovely and reminiscent of Grace Kelly's, in a more updated way (altho' I didn't care so much for the deepness of Kate's deep V-neckline). Pippa's wedding dress worked beautifully for her too, but she was not a royal bride, just the sister of a royal. Meghan's dress had classic lines and clean styling, but there was something off with the fit (likely due to weight loss that brides suffer from) and the fabric wrinkled at the waist. Meghan's tiara and veil made her dress, complementing the dress' simplicity. The classic lines of her dress are timeless, as opposed to the fairytale time capsule frou-frou-ness of Diana PofW's overly puffy dated 1980s dress.

Eugenie's dress is definitely classic and it works beautifully for her too. Diana's dress OTOH was wearing her, but then she was a 20-year-old who was having fun with fashion, and still growing into her own identity. I love Princess Charlotte of Monaco's wedding dress too, which is in the coat dress style. Meanwhile Crown Princess Mary's lovely wedding dress is said to have inspired (or seemingly inspired) the styling of Meghan's wedding dress:
https://www.vogue.com.au/fashion/ne...s/news-story/102bab6b0d24bc13a36744aee1662405
"It isn’t that [Meghan's dress] is groundbreaking, it is alluring because it is in fact so enduring, and simple styles in fashion are those that do not suffer being dated. 'The dress epitomises a timeless minimal elegance...'"

In it's styling, the same might be said for Eugenie's dress, except that the embroidery design on the dress is very specific to her. The Countess of Wessex's wedding dress was suited to her and to the Windsor venue, but it was retro in its styling and thus isn't as timeless.

Were Peter Phillips' wedding to Autumn Kelly and Zara Phillips wedding' to Mike Tindall broadcast on the BBC?

Those wedding ceremonies were not broadcast at all, although there were camera shots taken outside the church, as similar to Pippa Middleton's wedding.

taf2002

aftershocks said:
In it's styling, the same might be said for Eugenie's dress, except that the embroidery design on the dress is very specific to her.

Eugenie's dress didn't have embroidery. The design was woven into the fabric which made it much more fabulous.

I meant to mention earlier that I thought Eugenie's make-up was flawless. The hair & tiara were perfect too.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Eugenie's dress didn't have embroidery. The design was woven into the fabric which made it much more fabulous.

I meant to mention earlier that I thought Eugenie's make-up was flawless. The hair & tiara were perfect too.

Oh that's right, the embroidery is woven into the fabric which makes it deliciously fabulous and unique! And that also makes it doubly specific to Eugenie (which doesn't mean the styling isn't still classic and fresh at the same time). The styling has a timeless feel, and her dress and the embroidery concept will surely be inspirational for other brides with the money to realize their wedding goals. As the article I linked states in connection with Crown Princess Mary's dress influencing Duchess Meghan's dress (and Meghan's veil embroidery influencing and inspiring the woven embroidery motifs on Eugenie's dress): "Those well-versed in royal, and indeed fashion, history should know that appropriation is an inevitability and originality near-impossible. What is fresh, and what has been executed [for the Duchess of Sussex by Clare Waight Keller] with a contemporary flavor, is a timeless dress, matched with the accessories that ground her look in her specific context."

In turn, Eugenie's dress has a timeless feel also grounded in her specific context. As to likes and dislikes, that's always subjective. I have gone back and forth on how I feel about Meghan's dress. The cut and classic, simple lines are stunning, yet it does seem plain without the enhancement of the exquisitely designed and executed veil combined with the historic and splendorous tiara. Meghan's tiara really suits her, and Eugenie's tiara really suits her re her coloring. Personally, I would choose Meghan's tiara for it's classic simplicity. The emerald tiara is gorgeous but it would not suit my coloring or style preferences.

Did you guys see some of the guests taking pictures with their cell phones before entering the church? I was surprised there wasn't a 'no cell phones' policy.

Eugenie was definitely glowing. I love her green eyes and auburn hair color. Interestingly, her lovely hanging tendrils did not seem to cause anyone to think she had a messy hairstyle. ;) I read that Eugenie worked with Prince Harry's nutritionist guru to lose weight. https://www.cookinglight.com/news/prince-harry-diet-workout-exercise-plan

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm wondering if Beatrice might wear her mother's York tiara when/if she ever finds the right man to share her life. Here's more on the Greville Emerald tiara:
http://www.tiara-mania.com/2017/04/greville-emerald-tiara.html
https://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2018/10/princess-eugenie-jacks-wedding-greville.html

From the above link: "It’s hard to imagine how such a piece could go unworn for more than 75 years." I'll second that sentiment! I mean if they have all this delightful jeweled splendour hiding away in vaults, what's the point?! Why not spread around some of that gloriousness judiciously and beneficently (at the least allowing more borrowing by trusted friends and family)?

They might worry about damage to precious items, or robbery. And as the article stated, the Queen Mother, and QEII likely had/have their favorite go-to pieces which means other luxurious gems go unused. I suppose being hidden in a vault for more than half a century adds to the mystique of royal jewelry and rare tiaras. :drama:

Below is more info on the York Diamond tiara which is said to have been purchased by QEII at Garrard's for Fergie. It was initially supposedly 'lent' to Fergie, and then it became her property. Even after her divorce from Prince Andrew, she retained the York tiara. Apparently, the last time Fergie is said to have worn the tiara is at an Elton John ball in 2001. Some royal observers speculate that Fergie may have sold the tiara, but that's obviously unconfirmed.
http://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2018/05/the-york-diamond-tiara.html

Info on Jack & Eugenie's luncheon reception at Windsor Castle:
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...ew-princess-eugenie-wedding-reception-speech/
https://people.com/royals/princes-eugenie-royal-wedding-lunch-reception/ A red velvet and chocolate cake
Fergie definitely looks worn out or suffering from emotional exhaustion or something...

Details re the Sussexes South Pacific tour itinerary:
https://www.royal.uk/duke-and-duchess-sussexs-visit-australia-fiji-tonga-and-new-zealand

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ That youthful English rose complexion! So you'd kill for her complexion? What about for her tiara? ;)

I think Eugenie's luminous happiness on her wedding day was the loveliest thing of all to see. And I wish for her and Jack that the strength of their love endures, as I also wish for the Sussexes, and indeed for the Cambridges.

I wonder if they know what the word "roughneck" means. The term will be haunting him for the rest of his life. :shuffle:

Yeah that word was slightly jarring and out of place with the rest of the description as pertaining to Eugenie's groom. However, I doubt anyone in attendance examined that term too closely, just as most would have set aside the Duke of York's silly comment to ITV comparing number of friends between E&J vs M&H. Andrew was more than likely overly compensating for the fact that there were larger crowds of onlookers on the grounds of Windsor for the Sussex wedding than for his daughter's.

The 'roughneck' reference was such a minor thing for E&J's wedding guests to skip over vs having to sit through Bishop Curry's endless OTT hijacking of M&H's wedding ceremony. As well, Princess Bea did such a beautiful job with the recitation of the passage from The Great Gatsby. And the Windsor Chapel minister was mercifully brief (on purpose I'm sure) in his subsequent remarks celebrating the 'power of E&J's love.' :D

Rather than being haunted by the term 'roughneck,' I think Jack Brooksbank is feeling very blessed to share the rest of his life with Princess Eugenie of York.

The Duchess of Sussex has been named one of the top most influential Londoners:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/the...s-meghan-enters-the-top-10-list-a3958286.html

A photo of Meghan walking down the aisle on her wedding day won top honors in a Royal Photography contest:
http://www.newsmediauk.org/News/pa-...the-aisle-wins-royal-photography-competition-

Last edited:

Vagabond

The 'roughneck' reference was such a minor thing for E&J's wedding guests to skip over
All I know is what I read:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/oct/12/royal-wedding-princess-eugenie-jack-brooksbank-windsor
The readings included a lesson from St Paul’s letter to the Colossians and an extract from The Great Gatsby, read by the bride’s older sister, Beatrice, which raised eyebrows for its description of the lead character as “an elegant young roughneck, a year or two over 30, whose elaborate formality of speech just missed being absurd”.

Eugenie and the Roughneck sounds like the title of both a Mills & Boon novel and republican-with-a-small-"r" agitprop to me.

Parsley Sage

I kind of agree, but at the same time I put Kate's dress in a different category. The other brides are very much reflective of the times, their personal styles, good for them. But Kate's had a timelessness to it, and I felt it was very regal. My first thought when I saw it was how great the portrait will look hundreds of years from now, right up there with the portraits of kings and queens in the past. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if she and the designers had that in mind.

That was my thought about Kate's wedding dress. It was one that would stand the test of time.

The Kent's, Gloucesters and Chatto's were there
You can see some of them in the pic's here
http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2018/10/princess-eugenie-jacks-wedding-royal.html

taf2002

Eugenie's dress reminded me of something Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly or Jackie Kennedy would wear. I definitely think it will stand the test of time.

The close-up picture that @aftershocks posted of Sarah Ferguson surprised me. I didn't know she looked so old. She actually looks older than me. Like we say in Texas, looks like she was rode hard & put up wet.

Lorac

That was my thought about Kate's wedding dress. It was one that would stand the test of time.

The Kent's, Gloucesters and Chatto's were there
You can see some of them in the pic's here
http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2018/10/princess-eugenie-jacks-wedding-royal.html

Thanks for that link. Except for Camilla I think the only other senior royal missing was the Duchess of Kent but as she looked very unsteady at Harrys wedding I'm not too surprised she wasn't there.

floridaice

Eugenie's dress reminded me of something Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly or Jackie Kennedy would wear. I definitely think it will stand the test of time.

The close-up picture that @aftershocks posted of Sarah Ferguson surprised me. I didn't know she looked so old. She actually looks older than me. Like we say in Texas, looks like she was rode hard & put up wet.

My best friend growing up is a redhead with the same complexion as Fergie. But she has aged much better (same age) -- not a sun worshiper (she tried when we were teens and realized she'd never get a tan, just burn). I'm sure there are other factors involved too, but sun damage has to be one.

ballettmaus

I'm a fan of the dress as well. I'm not so sure about the tiara. It seemed massive, and I'm wondering if a veil would have softened it a bit. On the other hand, a veil might have been too much.

In any case, what I especially loved about the dress was how they did the top. It was off-the-shoulder without being so, and I thought, it was very well done. I wouldn't mind a neckline like that myself.

She had a beautiful hairdo as well.

screech

Gorgeous Zac Posen reception dress too! (Posen brought Demi Moore as his date, it seems). I never realized how slender Eugenie was before the wedding (not that I thought she was heavyset or anything...)

Also, nice to know that her name is not pronounced You-genie like most North Americans say.

I still love the dress. If I were looking at it for myself, I probably would keep the neckline the same, but not with the folded-over bet (just keep the wide V shape), though then again, I do like 'interest' it adds... Absolutely stunning on her.

I love the jewels in the tiara, but I'm more a fan of the more 'delicate' tiaras, not so much of the 'art deco' style like this one, which to me are a bit heavier (but that could be because personally, I can only wear delicate jewelry, as thicker or heavier styles are overwhelming on me). For tiaras, I personally prefer Kate's, though the emeralds in Eugenie's were sublime.

In the official portraits, Fergie was standing next to Phillip! Guess they managed to put their differences aside for the day. Kind of awkward placement of Beatrice in the photo, though. She looks isolated (even though she's between QEII and Phillip). Fun patterned coat on the mother of the groom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information