From Russia with love [#29]: Spring 2018 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Shpilevaya/Smirnov's FD is pretty fresh! It doesn't really fit the narrative of Russian ice dance being behind the times. I hope they'll get to showcase it.

(But I am sad that my favourites Skoptsova/Aleshin weren't there to show their own FD. They're also supposed to be trying something ~modern AFAIK, which can be either interesting or a total disaster, as per the best Russian skating traditions.)

Last edited:

mjb52

Wow, what I saw of T/M’s free was really great. It’s more modern and suits them beautifully. If they kept their Rach SP and had this for their free, they’d have a gorgeous set of programs.

Hmm, this is a good suggestion - maybe they should go back to their Rach SP. I think one of the weird things about maturing is that you both learn that it's good to stick to your guns when you believe in what you're doing AND that it's good to give up on something that isn't working. Last year, they stuck with Candyman; maybe this year, it wouldn't be bad to do the opposite - whether the criticism of them when they try something different is fair or not, this is a subjective sport, why not go with the style that people are responding to?

Hanna

Skating junkie
So much content and new programs to watch that I don't even know where to start commenting. Then again, I think I'll want to see these programs from closer + the judges' side before stating too many opinions.

But I do want to say that I love how the judges have been pushed to the side and :TT1: in her pink scarf has been given the best seat in the house. :D

(This was regarding the SPs obviously :shuffle: )

Last edited:

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Love that Medvedeva is trying different music and movement styles. I think her programs have a lot that will come together nicely.

Loved Voronov's SP; was surprised to feel less enthusiastic about his Ten-choreographed LP. I am hoping that it is not going to be this empty, and perhaps Sergei was not performing "all" of it, because I was expecting a bit more from it. Kudos to him for throwing a second quad for the first time in his career!

RoseRed

[re: T/M's SP] Yeah, from some of the other comments, I was expecting far worse, but I think it could work. Sure, it doesn't play to their strengths, but they can sell it fine (they only gotta be fast/dynamic, not sexy/perky), and the music itself is good, IMO. Choreo could be better in places, but not embarrasingly bad or anything.

EDIT: ok, I was watching the video when the camera was behind them. If this is an indicator of how they are gonna sell it, I may have to take it all back! :rofl: (Also, when I said choreo could be better in places? This ending pose is a place.)
Oh wow. That's, uh ... something.:rofl: :slinkaway

millyskate

I'm impressed with Medvedeva's skating but admit I miss the intensity. Everyone seems excited about the new style but I feel the soul has been ripped out somehow :slinkaway
I don't think the SP will ever grow on me but the LP might so I'll give it time.

It's a shame Zagitova is having jump trouble because I actually think the Carmen program really suits her.

Lovely to see Tutkamysheva back in great form. Of all the programs I think I preferred Radio - for the abandon and passion she puts into everything.

Last edited:

starrynight

Very strong jumping for Tuktamysheva. A very clean program for this early in the season plus triple axel!!!

She sort of snuck in as a dark horse while everyone was fixated on Medvedeva and Zagitova.

But really people expect a lot from the Russian skaters so early in the season when they are technically at test skates doing run throughs in practice clothes. A bit more mileage and costumes and proper footage that isn't fan cams makes a universe of difference.

I wonder who would have won out of the ladies if this was actually being scored?

Bigbird

Eteri must have been in tears today. I'd imagine she had such a beautiful program planned for Medvedeva. I am sorry but this programme from Zhenya was just so light, ultra-light, if you turned off the music you wouldn't know that this was a tango, not even a hint of tango. Orser seems to be working primarily on jump mechanics and helping her to loosen up. I understand the strain of skating with the phenoms was getting to her but wasn't there a way to accommodate her need for space? It was a bit bittersweet watching her programme today.

puglover

If memory serves me correctly - it was the year following the Sochi Olympics that Tuktamyesheva rolled over everyone to win everything. I thought she looked startlingly good for so early in the season and she now skates like a woman as opposed to being just given more mature programs. Could she do it again? Much as I love the younger ones I am such a sucker for come-back stories.

Last edited:

starrynight

If memory serves me correctly - it was the year following the Sochi Olympics that Tuktamyesheva rolled over everyone to win everything. I thought she looked startling good for so early in the season and she now skates like a woman as opposed to being just given more mature programs. Could she do it again? Much as I love the younger ones I am such a sucker for come-back stories.

As a massive Tuktamysheva Uber Fan I certainly hope so. Those jumps looked rock solid.

I guess we will have a better idea after Lombardia and Finlandia how she goes in competition and with the judges.

She certainly has a look of confidence.

zebraswan

Love that Medvedeva is trying different music and movement styles. I think her programs have a lot that will come together nicely.

Loved Voronov's SP; was surprised to feel less enthusiastic about his Ten-choreographed LP. I am hoping that it is not going to be this empty, and perhaps Sergei was not performing "all" of it, because I was expecting a bit more from it. Kudos to him for throwing a second quad for the first time in his career!

He is always pretty cautious at the beginning of the season, but as he gets more comfortable with it, it will improve for sure. And he made a huge step forward now adding the 4lo, so it's understandable. I do like the step sequence. He also said he was thinking about Denis & wanting to do the program justice for him, and that might have made him a bit nervous. The SP definitely had more immediate impact, but I'm excited to see the FS after it has some more mileage.

zebraswan

Eteri must have been in tears today. I'd imagine she had such a beautiful program planned for Medvedeva. I am sorry but this programme from Zhenya was just so light, ultra-light, if you turned off the music you wouldn't know that this was a tango, not even a hint of tango. Orser seems to be working primarily on jump mechanics and helping her to loosen up. I understand the strain of skating with the phenoms was getting to her but wasn't there a way to accommodate her need for space? It was a bit bittersweet watching her programme today.

Because Eteri's skaters always have such great music and programs? :confused: In tears? LOL. Is she even capable of producing tears?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It seems she is in her practice clothes. Maybe her dress is not done yet. Why does it bother you so much that someone is not in their competition dress?

Nobody was in costume. Did I ask for costume? NO! All the rest wore form-fitting leotard-type tops. Leave it to Tuk to show up in a “practice mumu”!!! (At least today’s black top for her FS was not so billowy.)

Last edited:

dinakt

My understanding is that Evgenia's LP was the mere skeleton of the program, and it will look different next time she skates it. In fact, based on post-LP interviews, it seems that Evgenia herself modified/simplified/forgot some of the program ; so I wouldn't pass any judgement on the program based on this outing.

Last edited:

SamuraiK

Im not watching any test skate videos. I prefer to see a more polished/finished product when is ready for sale.. i feel its better that way

Why are Sotpscova/Aleshin not there?

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Im not watching any test skate videos. I prefer to see a more polished/finished product when is ready for sale.. i feel its better that way

Why are Sotpscova/Aleshin not there?

It was reported she's recovering from an injury.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.

Hmm. When I saw her short program I thought how 'Canadian' she was skating. You know, the trying to be loose arms and jazziness. At least she looked like she was enjoying herself... The tango LP? Did she do ANYTHING resembling tango in it? I could not see it.

Willin

@WillyElliot From my understanding, the Tango program is just a skeleton right now. They are planning to add more choreography as the season progresses and time allows. I don't think it's ready to go right now and that's fairly obvious, so I'm waiting to judge it until I see the completed version.

lily

LOL about Eteri in tears. She already forgot all the Medvedeva, she is a practical woman.
She should be in tears only because of - why Zagitova had so bad jumps in her FP. Zagitova has that bad period of growing, I wonder how she will handle it....

whiteskates

Thanks for posting the videos! I haven't watched them all yet but so far all I can say is that I can't stand Tarasova/Morozov's SP. That music is awful. The FP is better. I like Zagitova's free. Carmen may be overused but there is a reason for that. It is very suitable for skating. I don't like Medvedeva's new style at all. Maybe and hopefully it will look better given some time.

zoe111

@WillyElliot From my understanding, the Tango program is just a skeleton right now. They are planning to add more choreography as the season progresses and time allows. I don't think it's ready to go right now and that's fairly obvious, so I'm waiting to judge it until I see the completed version.
I also think it fits the bill for intensity- or will. It isn’t super strong tango music until the end but I think she’ll do a great job with it. I enjoyed this video version (better camera angle) because she looks so much happier and hopefully healthier than last year
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K5_YNEvF4kQ

Willin

I also think it fits the bill for intensity- or will. It isn’t super strong tango music until the end but I think she’ll do a great job with it. I enjoyed this video version (better camera angle) because she looks so much happier and hopefully healthier than last year
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K5_YNEvF4kQ
I was going to say, the first section isn't really tango at all. The rest also doesn't have the kind of super intensity you hear in some tangos - it's more flowing music with the tango beat. I'll be interested to see what they'll do with it, but because of the instrumentation I'll be surprised if they go the full tango with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information