From Russia with love [#29]: Spring 2018 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad for Skating

Are they trying to humiliate Moris into leaving? Poor guy. But he must be pretty strong, since he has lasted longer than any of her other students. I do think she likes him personally, perhaps they bonded because of their Georgian background. But he is probably seen as a liability at this point, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was trying to send him a message. Didn't they put Daria with the younger group for awhile too, or was that someone else?

I've learned not to put ANYTHING past Eteri, after the way she treated Sergei.

Tinami Amori

How did she treat him? I might've missed this one.
:D don't pay attention to "anti-Etri" provocations.... For the last few years she took away Jr. and Sr. ladies podiums from everybody, and some people, especially "in the west" can't get over it, and looking for problems where there are none...

All these skaters, while part of "Eteri's group" are always over-marked and over-scored and just evil.... And when they don't measure up to or can't handle the training demands and competition and leave..... they suddenly become "angels"... :D

Looks like Plushenko is really "mistreating and belittling" Tarakanova worst than Eteri... :lol: by making her skate "with the younger group"..... :D
https://www.instagram.com/p/Blc08Fnh-_U/?hl=en&taken-by=angelsofplushenko
... instead of training her he uses her as a display to teach the little ones.....:EVILLE:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlfbKp3gZhx/?hl=en&taken-by=angelsofplushenko

Oh, and what it yet mentioned, that Eteri Tutberidze was awarded 3 weeks ago, by Russian Government a Medal of Honor for Patriotism/National Pride (for Olympic Accomplishments and Advancing training of Athletes)? https://rsport.ria.ru/official/20180629/1138742559.html

Last edited:

zebraswan

What in the hell are you talking about? That escalated quickly...

You don't see a difference between a junior skating together with little kids vs. a 23-year-old man who has been "demoted?" I think most of us here are fans of Eteri's skaters, but she is hardly above criticism. Unless you think results trump literally everything else, like health, dignity, character, etc.

hanca

Values her privacy
It seems to me that she is doing her run through, maybe her exhibition program, and he is teaching his kids at one side of the ring. Which is good for her because she has got more space. The fact that he comments on what she is doing, it is quite common. When my coach used to teach me something new, if she saw someone doing it, she would show me and comment on it how to do it better, so that I knew what to aim for.

hanca

Values her privacy
What in the hell are you talking about? That escalated quickly...

You don't see a difference between a junior skating together with little kids vs. a 23-year-old man who has been "demoted?" I think most of us here are fans of Eteri's skaters, but she is hardly above criticism. Unless you think results trump literally everything else, like health, dignity, character, etc.
Don’t take TA seriously. When talking about Tutberidze, she just refuse to see anything wrong. A picture of Zagitova standing next to Medvedeva is for her a proof that they are best friends, and the fact that someone is smiling on a photo is a proof that the person can’t be emotionally abused because he/she is smiling. I used to work with abused kids and guess what, they were all smiling when someone took a picture.

BrightSkates

Flop era commenced
Stolbova/Klimov fans now have "some meat"... :lol: Stolbova is in Moscow now, and got a ............... hair cut!... :D
that's all.... :skandal :encore:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlgO-ENDfti/?taken-by=karina_grigoryants

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagra...861_210883889511362_2320550669452312576_n.jpg

Not sure if it's an old pic but she was skating with Novoselov and Morozov the whole last week at Ice House. At least as of Friday. And she had exact same haircut. Maybe she flew back to Moscow on Saturday?

Tinami Amori

I think most of us here are fans of Eteri's skaters, but she is hardly above criticism.
Eteri is open about her methods and her demands, veeery open. Parents bring their kids to her in droves. Parents stay with their kids during practices and watch their kids and other kids trained "by Eteri and her methods". The younger kids and parents see how Eteri speaks and handles older skaters, they hear every word, every fight, every situation and problem that takes place at the rink. They even talk about it in private blogs and live-journal chats, in detail outlining "all Eteri's methods"....... and YET they stay.... and hope for her magic touch that will bring them top placements.

Med and her parents where there for 11 years, when Med was "small fry" and all attention went to Lipnitskaya with all the issues, swearing, fighting, etc..... And they did not leave.

Zag and her parents where there when Med got her turn, outlasted Lip, and became Eteri's number one.... Zag waited her turn and now she is number one...

Now two other top Eteri's Jr. girls are waiting and watching..... Waiting and watching.... hearing Eteri swear, push every one around, using her methods and etc....... and they are not leaving.

The ones who are suddenly not happy with "Eteri's methods" (which are there in the open 24/7) are the ones who CAN NOT CUT THE MUSTARD and handle the competition and pressure.... same ones who were only happy to see "others get the shit from Eteri" in hope of later becoming number one.

And by the way.... Tzurskaya did not leave..... she was "let go".
Tarakanova did not really leave as her own choice... she was given conditions and choices which she could not or would not accept. Her "personality issues", her approach to training and competitions and how they affected skating were discussed and addressed a year ago.
I am not sure what's up with Panenkova, but she is also not "made of the type of cement" that is needed in this training environment...

These girls have a perfect right to look for training situation that suites them. Eteri has a perfect right to ran her training as she sees fit, she is VERY successful obviously. It is a matter of fit and match between Skater and Trainer, and not "evil Eteri" vs. "little angels".... These "angels" are/were just fine with Eteri until they realized they are not going to be top 3 in the group..... so if they can't stand the heat, they should get out of the kitchen.... :D

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
You know, @Tinami Amori , the fact that the parents ‘know of her methods’ and ‘seen her coaching style’ does not mean that those methods are always right. In the book Little girls in Pretty Boxes, the parents also were allowed to practices and seen the coaches behaviour and yet the behaviour would be described as abuse. I am not saying that Tutberidze’s methods are as bad as that, but the fact that the parents want their children to be taught by the coaches who produce the highest results does not mean that this type of coaching can’t damage the children. As many books described, the parents may get caught up in the hype of getting their skater to the olympics and won’t fully appreciate the damage that is being caused during the coaching until it is too late. And yes, there is a queue of parents who are very keen to fill the empty place with their son/daughter if some skater drops out, but that still doesn’t mean that emotional damage is not being done on the skaters.

ChiquitaBanana

These girls have a perfect right to look for training situation that suites them. Eteri has a perfect right to ran her training as she sees fit, she is VERY successful obviously. It is a matter of fit and match between Skater and Trainer, and not "evil Eteri" vs. "little angels".... These "angels" are/were just fine with Eteri until they realized they are not going to be top 3 in the group..... so if they can't stand the heat, they should get out of the kitchen.... :D

A coach is first and foremost one athlete’s manager wantng the best for her skater. There is a skating sociology principle which should be studied about the number of top skaters in direct competition to one another a coach can handle adequately. There have always been movement among all the big skating centers because of this. Everybody flocks to the top center of the moment, then they cannot get all the attention needed because the coach is too busy so they go to another coach who had results with one athlete because that one got more attention and so on...

Koola King

Banned Member
Eteri "Champion Maker" Tutberidze is a goddess and planetary treasure. Do not dare to utter a disparaging word about her methods. Fact is, she makes winners. Your favs can't compete well boohoo, must be doing it wrong. Russian Ladies especially Eteri's little queens have the best jumping technique of the entire world. Beautiful, gorgeous edges, jaw dropping height. The quality of her coaching is orgasmic. Koola King can't help itsself. Koola King must watch beautiful Russian skating videos nonstop, day after day, hour after hour. It is the only thing worthy of its time. Preciousssss Russian skating ungghhhhh....

zebraswan

Now two other top Eteri's Jr. girls are waiting and watching..... Waiting and watching.... hearing Eteri swear, push every one around, using her methods and etc....... and they are not leaving.

The ones who are suddenly not happy with "Eteri's methods" (which are there in the open 24/7) are the ones who CAN NOT CUT THE MUSTARD and handle the competition and pressure.... same ones who were only happy to see "others get the shit from Eteri" in hope of later becoming number one.

And by the way.... Tzurskaya did not leave..... she was "let go".
Tarakanova did not really leave as her own choice... she was given conditions and choices which she could not or would not accept. Her "personality issues", her approach to training and competitions and how they affected skating were discussed and addressed a year ago.
I am not sure what's up with Panenkova, but she is also not "made of the type of cement" that is needed in this training environment...

Oh, but they all do leave, eventually. It's just a matter of time for Zagitova & the other junior girls. And then I suppose you'll blame them 100% instead of considering that Eteri might have had a part in damaging their mental and/or physical health. Because everything is completely black and white in your world and you have some compulsion to literally play devil's advocate, it seems.

According to you, Moris must be the only one who can really stand the heat since he is the only skater who has lasted with her past his 19th birthday. What a tough fighter he is! :rolleyes: (I like Moris a lot, but definitely not because he is "made of cement" or a top skater...)

Mad for Skating

How did she treat him? I might've missed this one.

She refused to let his mom come and see him skate, then after he left her group she criticized him for being "a grown man who still needed his mama".

Tinami Amori, we will simply have to agree to disagree about her methods.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
:lol: Well Voronov is over 30. I think it's time his Mama quit trying to manage his career. I'd be with Eteri on this one. In fact, I'd gently suggest parents stay away from the rink for any skater over 16. Little kids, yes. Teens and young adults, no. They need to learn to manage their own skating by that point.

Mad for Skating

:lol: Well Voronov is over 30. I think it's time his Mama quit trying to manage his career. I'd be with Eteri on this one. In fact, I'd gently suggest parents stay away from the rink for any skater over 16. Little kids, yes. Teens and young adults, no. They need to learn to manage their own skating by that point.

I'm pretty sure she wasn't trying to manage his career...she just stopped in to watch a practice.

zebraswan

She refused to let his mom come and see him skate, then after he left her group she criticized him for being "a grown man who still needed his mama".

No, she didn't refuse to let his mother come to the rink. She just made fun of the fact that she did & complained because he went to talk to her during training. Which, ok, fine, I can understand not wanting distractions during practice. But why didn't she tell him to his face instead of waiting to complain to Rsport long after he left? For someone so "tough," she comes off as very passive aggressive in her interviews. Maybe she just seems tough to the children because they are as immature as she is.

aliona22

It is odd how Eteri's successful younger skaters are jumping like rats off a sinking ship a few months after her student takes home the OGM. We usually see the opposite in skating... established skaters flock to the coach of the new Olympic champ. Medvedeva leaving was understandable, but losing Tsurskaya, Tarakanova, and now Panenkova is kind of shocking.

zebraswan

I'm pretty sure she wasn't trying to manage his career...she just stopped in to watch a practice.

Exactly. I know enough about Sergei, trust me...he does not have a "stage mother" like some other skaters. I'd never heard mention of her until Eteri went on her rant. Guess that was the only low hanging fruit she could find to bash him. Oh, she also accused him of having a tantrum because Adian was skating to some music he wanted to use.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
It is odd how Eteri's successful younger skaters are jumping like rats off a sinking ship a few months after her student takes home the OGM. We usually see the opposite in skating... established skaters flock to the coach of the new Olympic champ. Medvedeva leaving was understandable, but losing Tsurskaya, Tarakanova, and now Panenkova is kind of shocking.

I'm not sure it's shocking. She had so many star skaters that the internal ranking system was going to shake some of them out. Zags, Kosternaiaa and Trusova are currently the stars or about-to-be-stars, and it makes sense that other talented skaters would go somewhere where they weren't thought of as also-rans.

Since I like Tsurskaya and Tarakanova a lot, I'm hoping for great results for them elsewhere.

Tinami Amori

a) the ship is not sinking, and b) those girls are NOT rats! they are very nice girls, who probably do not fit in to the training system and the level of the competition at the rink, and c) young skaters even today flock to Eteri's rink, hopping to enter even start-up groups there so that Eteri can notice them.

Tzurskaya is a very sensitive fragile girl, she has lots of talent and skills, but she can't handle certain level of pressure and she gets affected by "outside", the one aspect which Tutberideze teaches her students not to affect them. Tzur will be better off in a situation with less pressure, due to her health and personality. But it does not mean that Eteri is wrong, her methods work, but not with all. Eteri, in a nut-shell, told Tzur "you are like a suit-case full of some good stuff, but without a handle. too good to drop, but way too hard to carry. if you can't handle the training, then leave". Tzur left. It's good for both.

Tarakanova is also talented but impatient and eager, and does not always listen or takes a deep breath and process the instructions; she is overly anxious about a lot of things, and that affects training. It's something she admitted herself too, not just trainers. She could not "center" and "go inside herself for directions". I am not sure i like her choice to join Plushenko's group, although love Plushenko. Sakhanovich tried Plushenko and left because his training is more of a "game" and "entertainment" than serious dedicated effort "for the win and nothing else".

Panenkova... nobody knows what's up, she is now skipping the question when asked, saying that she is not ready to answer. She seemed to me like a very talented girl too, but not "the tough kind" like Zag, Med, Turs, Kost, Sherb, and few younger others. She does not have the toughness to stay in Eteri's group, which is fine if that's the reason, and should find a place where she is comfortable.

Both Tarakanova and Panenkova were not likely to become the group's top girls. Even if Panenkova was now the "2nd best Senior" behind Zagitova, it does not mean that Eteri saw the prospect of her making the podium this year, given other girls (Russian and Japanese).

Tarakanova is still a Jr. this year, and would be, at best #4 Junior, behind Kost and Turs and Scherbakova. When she would transfer to Sr. next year, she would be behind Zag and Kost/Turs who are also going to seniors.

Eteri could keep both girls as "back ups" in case something happens to the "top ones", but it would not be fair to the girls, and Eteri does not need to waist her time on "back up skaters". She has medal contenders in all categories, Sr. Jr. and preparing those in Novice level. Eteri also has a new challenge, sr. and jr. men. Eteri's mother is critically ill, and that takes time too. So she made it clear to all: either you train for the podium, or leave.

Morris is an exception. That's another story. Eteri and his mother (who was also a figure skater) are friends. Morris as at CSKA, could have trained with Bouyanova, but was not good enough. So Eteri took him on as a favor. Morris wanted to be a hockey player, but parents MADE him figure skate. His ambitions are stated: I want to skate a clean programme, make it to Olympics and big events. He does not expect to be on the podium.
http://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/169-moris-kvitelashvili-ili-rabotaem-ili-i-ukazala-paltsem-na-dver.html

I would not worry at ALL about Morris being "neglected". He is there to have fun, and to go occasionally to International Events and do a "good job". During training camp he took off 3 times to go see FIFA World Soccer games, and was having a blast at the camp during days he was training.
https://pp.userapi.com/c847122/v847122918/7e30f/6V6ciQlXryA.jpg
https://pp.userapi.com/c844720/v844720442/92b69/LyYC_1-mWbk.jpg
https://sun1-13.userapi.com/c834103/v834103986/16f96e/pYlRDG7Tyr4.jpg
https://pp.userapi.com/c848620/v848620767/10312/2oqFjsLGmaM.jpg

He is LUCKY that Eteri is still handling the "fellow Georgian".. :D People should understand, that "coaching" is her profession and business. She is not a "young skater" who can skate then quite at 18-20-22 and then have a whole different life. Training is her life, and she needs to "find best projects".. it's not a charity work...

The story about Eteri not letting in his mother, is not as stated above. Eteri did not object to the mother, but to Morris just skating off to the rink-side in the middle of instructions..... Eteri lets in ALL parents and grand-parents. Zag's and Med's mothers/grandmothers were at the rink all day long. Eteri made Julia's mother an assistant coach with a salary, to help with Julia's training. Most younger skaters' parents are permanent fixtures at the rink.... they sit on bleachers and text all sorts of gossips in LiveJournals.... :D

The hate for Eteri is absolutely subjective, disproportionate and personal and most of all based on jealousy... Because if people were really concerned about "ethics" and "coach's mentality", they would NOT be cheering about girls transferring to Buyanova, given that Buyanova helped her former coach S. Zhuk cover up his sexual abuse (and said to be "rape") of an underage skater Kondrashova, who together with Marina Zoueva complained to the Federation about his attacks. Vodorezhova/Buyanova is not a role model for young female skaters, and yet people ignore this story.

So i say hate for Eteri is selective.... :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information