Kwan fans...

UGG

Idk. Everyone had written her off, even after her win at worlds in 2003. I think of it as her career wrapped in one skate. I screamed during the footwork. šŸ˜‚

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I only saw Michelle do one triple loop in competition live and it was this frightening one, she was going so slow. I loved the end of the this performance so much though. The arena was so loud. It was my first Nationals and I will never forget it.

sk9tingfan

Off season is so boring! How Amazballs was 2004 nationals??

https://youtu.be/_J9Et5D1Nt8

ITA. We were sitting right in front of Nancy Kerrigan who later complained to commentators that she couldn't see the end of the performance because everyone was standing. That being said, we were all over six feet tall! :) I can never forget the look of absolute joy on Michelle's face when she jumped into the final footwork. Unfortunately, the TV cameras were catching her from the back.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
2004 was my one and only (to date) US Nationals. Cyn and I had moved down to the lower section to see the final LP group. Sadly she called Sasha's fall 5 seconds or so before it happened.

Kween's LP was something I'll never forget - all of it, but especially that footwork. At the end the arena just exploded.

UGG

2004 was my one and only (to date) US Nationals. Cyn and I had moved down to the lower section to see the final LP group. Sadly she called Sasha's fall 5 seconds or so before it happened.

Kween's LP was something I'll never forget - all of it, but especially that footwork. At the end the arena just exploded.

I wonder what the other skaters were thinking hearing how loud it was-you can tell from TV it was crazy. I remember I was jumping up and down at the end LOL.

UGG

ITA. We were sitting right in front of Nancy Kerrigan who later complained to commentators that she couldn't see the end of the performance because everyone was standing. That being said, we were all over six feet tall! :) I can never forget the look of absolute joy on Michelle's face when she jumped into the final footwork. Unfortunately, the TV cameras were catching her from the back.

haha that is funny. She says it in the interview!

VGThuy

One of my happiest memories as a young skating fan was when HeatherW's Kwan compilation tape that I ordered came in the mail. In the pre-YouTube days, that was such a big deal. It didn't have a lot of exhibitions but she had the good taste to include this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pQFizkQmAc

This still may be my favorite exhibition of hers. I go back and forth between that, Dante's Prayer, or Hands (and I don't even like that song but she and Phillip Mills made magic together with that one).

kwanatic

This was during my freshman year of college and I was SO mad b/c I live in Atlanta but was at school in Statesboro, GA (about 3 hours away) and couldn't make it:wuzrobbed. I was hanging out with my friends in their dorm room and ended up running back to my room (where I was recording the competition...on VHS (oh 2004...)) to see what happened. I miscalculated the time and ended up missing the performance but I turned on the tv at this moment and knew she'd done amazingly. Then of course the scores came up and I lost it!:cheer2:

Based on chills I still get when I watch it on the screen, I can't imagine what it would have been like to be in that arena. Those fans screamed the roof off of Philips Arena! Given how amazing that crowd was I often wonder why they never brought nationals (or any other events) back to Atlanta. The only way we get to see live skating is if we travel and, unfortunately, I do not have that kind of money to travel to other cities (let alone countries) for figure skating. Maybe one day.

briancoogaert

I was at the Atlanta nat'ls & had great seats for the womens LP. That footwork at the end was done straight toward me. I had never seen something like that in skating. She was on fire!
This was a special moment. Even of TV or on Youtube now, it's still very effective, I can imagine how amazing it was to see it live. How lucky you are !!!!! :swoon:

VGThuy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjhcs1L9jc4

. . . To be fair, when Shoma does a 4F I think it is a 4Lp :p

. . . :rofl: Michelle references the Cutting Edge :D

Thanks to that video, I was led to this interview between Michelle and newly-minted OGM Meryl and Charlie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqA_C-PHYEI

There was such a cute moment where Charlie talks about enjoying their music and them loving it and Michelle says she was inspired by their music too and she had skated to Scheherezade, and Meryl and Charlie both giggle like excited kids and go "yeah, we know!" I know Meryl definitely has listed Michelle Kwan as her idol...as did almost all of the 2018 U.S. skaters from all disciplines when Ice Network interviewed them.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^^^^ And if that wasnt enough for you all, Im gonna take out my wallet and treat you to this one too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edlTytIoFEk

I can watch this over and over and over....
One of my happiest memories as a young skating fan was when HeatherW's Kwan compilation tape that I ordered came in the mail. In the pre-YouTube days, that was such a big deal. It didn't have a lot of exhibitions but she had the good taste to include this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pQFizkQmAc

This still may be my favorite exhibition of hers. I go back and forth between that, Dante's Prayer, or Hands (and I don't even like that song but she and Phillip Mills made magic together with that one).

Ah, watching Michelle's many amazing best programs and moments never fails to send of chill of delight and joy up my spine. Even after all these years. A legend in her own time, and forever. :saint: :encore:Michelle, my belle!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information