From Russia with love [#29]: Spring 2018 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanca

Values her privacy
For those who follows Russian junior pairs:
According to the Russian forum, Poluyanova/Sopot moved to Moskvina.
Kudryavtseva/Spiridonov and Labazina/Rakhmanin moved from Pavlova to Dmitriev.

There were some splits in Mozer’s school (just juniors), for example Pleshkov will be skating with Pepelova etc, but those pairs did not have that great results anyway so they are not that well known.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
OMG! I can imagine what you feel when you read me... :slinkaway You would have a big work on me.. :yikes: Thank you for your patience..(y):giggle:

My analysis of this quote ;)
what I feel when I read you? - how can I read you, are you a book?
I think what you mean is what I feel when I read what you have written

a big work - work is an uncountable noun, so you cannot have the article 'a' with work.
You should say, you would have a lot of work to do on me

However, since I teach English as a foreign language, I appreciate the high level of English that all the non-native speakers have on this forum.

Lala, you are doing a great job, your mistakes are not impeding communication! :40beers:

barbarafan

My analysis of this quote ;)
what I feel when I read you? - how can I read you, are you a book?
I think what you mean is what I feel when I read what you have written

a big work - work is an uncountable noun, so you cannot have the article 'a' with work.
You should say, you would have a lot of work to do on me

However, since I teach English as a foreign language, I appreciate the high level of English that all the non-native speakers have on this forum.

Lala, you are doing a great job, your mistakes are not impeding communication! :40beers:

Exactly...I can always figure out what you mean....and I am not a teacher and when I look at Russian I am so useless I cannot even make out names on you-tube. I had thought I might learn Russian but I am just not up to the task. I am learning some Spanish instead..Hats off to all FSUers who are posting here in a second or third language. You are all amazing and when you translate for us at times I am thrilled but also feel ashamed.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sorry, correcting English is a reflex reaction, as I am an English teacher by profession :slinkaway

I am not an English teacher/major, just an English speaker. In the past when i tried to help the non-English speakers with some obvious mistakes, they took offense and I was told not to correct anyone. I actually like it if someone corrects my Russian (I don't post in Russian, so that is a non-issue). It helps me improve when someone corrects me, and it may even be in English. I am not perfect. I guess people are different.

However, I like the way you are explaining. I was confused by the post about Plushenko ("abdicated boycott"), but you were able to figure out what the poster meant.

Last edited:

taz'smum

:rofl:
good one! thanks! (never heard before, and there is no russian equivalent.. ha!)

For the unenlightened:-

busmans holiday

A holiday in which you spend most of your time doing the same or something very similar to your normal work.

Comes from the late 1800's, where a man who drives a bus for a living goes on a long bus journey on their holiday.

Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori: - Tiff says that Russian was a far harder language to learn than French!
So I have great respect for Russian speakers!
If we're born into a language, then it is not an accomplishment. imo: Russian is harder in grammar, French is harder in pronunciation (especially for a smoker with a clouded nose).. :lol:

Saying this is TORTURE: je suis malheureuse aujourd-hui

hanca

Values her privacy
Tinami Amori: - Tiff says that Russian was a far harder language to learn than French!
That depends in what one’s first language is and how old the person was when he/she started. For me English was much harder than Russian, not because it is a hard language generally, but because there don’t seem to be any fixed rules. E.g., one uses the same verb for whoever it applies to, such I go, you go, we go, they go (only he/she/it goes). My brain struggled to accept that. We have different forms of the verbs, and also different forms of nouns with various prepositions. Also, difference in pronunciation and spelling was hard in English. Looking back I can’t understand why I struggled so much with English, but English definitely wasn’t my favourite language. Even now, after so many years living in English speaking country I still struggle with the articles- my use if ‘the’ and ‘a’ is somewhat random. We don’t have them in my language and I just don’t feel it.

taz'smum

If we're born into a language, then it is not an accomplishment. imo: Russian is harder in grammar, French is harder in pronunciation (especially for a smoker with a clouded nose).. :lol:

Yep, French is harder to pronounce, but not as hard as the language I had to do at school, Welsh!!
Welsh has to be one of the hardest languages to pronounce unless you are born there.

This is the name of a town in Wales :scream: ( the clue is that y and w are vowels in Welsh and it is a phonetic language)

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Yep, French is harder to pronounce, but not as hard as the language I had to do at school, Welsh!!
Welsh has to be one of the hardest languages to pronounce unless you are born there.

This is the name of a town in Wales :scream: ( the clue is that y and w are vowels in Welsh and it is a phonetic language)

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM
I thought (from dealing with this story before) that the long name was a joke, done because the town wanted its village to be noted on the map (for tourism?). The real name is only the first half of the long name Llanfair-Pwllgwyngyll (something like The Church of Mother of Jesus in the Valley of White Bush Clan"... :D

ChiquitaBanana

Really? Is it because of the ö sound? In German, that would be mahl-ö-rö-(s/z). That might be because of your first language, which is Russian I suppose. Jour = O-Zhurrrr-d-ü-i

I get some problem with "r" in English as in "rare".

Tinami Amori

Really? Is it because of the ö sound? In German, that would be mahl-ö-rö-(s/z). That might be because of your first language, which is Russian I suppose. Jour = O-Zhurrrr-d-ü-i

I get some problem with "r" in English as in "rare".
- in "malheureuse" it's a problem to transit from "u" to "r" without heavy accent... because between "u" and "r" there is almost an soft "h" sound, or "gh"... and then a transition from "e" to "u"... which must be smooth, but one should still somehow distinguish the two letters at least in tone of voice.

- jour is also a problem, the soft "r" and soft "j".... in russian its "rrrrrrrrr" and "zhu"... when i say this word it come out "zhurrr"...... I can't sing either... :D and french kills me....

:D Deutsch ist einfach und gut fur mich ! Und DAS IST DAS!.... :D

ChiquitaBanana

- in "malheureuse" it's a problem to transit from "u" to "r" without heavy accent... because between "u" and "r" there is almost an soft "h" sound, or "gh"... and then a transition from "e" to "u"... which must be smooth, but one should still somehow distinguish the two letters at least in tone of voice.

- jour is also a problem, the soft "r" and soft "j".... in russian its "rrrrrrrrr" and "zhu"... when i say this word it come out "zhurrr"...... I can't sing either... :D and french kills me....

:D Deutsch ist einfach und gut fur mich ! Und DAS IST DAS!.... :D

ure... No! You have to think it as 3-4 syllables... And you have to master the ö sound... So mal-ö (heu)-rö (reu)-z. French is my mother tongue. ;)

taz'smum

Hajo Seppelt‏ @hajoseppelt

Not many have realized it: Much, much more will come about RUS. It will make massive waves. Shows extend of RUS doping over yrs: 9000 (!) positive screenings of estimated 4500 athletes are under investigation in about 60 IFs/sports bodies. Huge number of sanctions expected

https://twitter.com/hajoseppelt/status/984613653239533568

Very strong acusations against IBU: Besseberg and Resch are alleged to have taken payments from Russian authorities in order to cover up positive doping tests ahead of the Sochi Olympics, according to a report from Le Monde

http://aroundtherings.com/site/A__6...m__/utm_content__/utm_campaign__/292/Articles

Besseberg stands-down as IBU President as Austrian police allege doping cases covered-up

https://www.insidethegames.biz/arti...-doping-cases-covered-up#.WtCWO_zRWi0.twitter

Tinami Amori

There are few articles in the russian "yellow press" with headings "Is Medvedeva engaged?", "Medvedeva displaying the engagement ring", etc. It's probably "fake news".

Evgeniya did mention that her family members collected money and bought her a small diamond ring for a present (for birthday and accomplishments). There is a foto of this ring, where Med is saying "she rather have a small stone, as long as the it is real, because she prefers not to wear costume jewelry".. and the ring may look like an engagement ring.. but that's no reason to presume she is engaged... until she says so.

https://graziamagazine.ru/news/smi-18-letnyaya-evgeniya-medvedeva-pomolvlena/
https://www.7days.ru/news/pomolvlena-evgeniya-medvedeva-pokazala-koltso-s-brilliantom.htm
https://www.vladtime.ru/sport/655109

Mad for Skating

Sorry, correcting English is a reflex reaction, as I am an English teacher by profession :slinkaway

It's okay! I want to become a writer after I finish high school so working on my proofreading is definitely something important.

I've been trying to learn some Russian lately, but there are a LOT of things to remember! And I can't say French is any easier for me...

I can't even read that! Russian at least makes (a little) sense to me, but French is absolutely impossible for me. You're doing good!

Mad for Skating

There are few articles in the russian "yellow press" with headings "Is Medvedeva engaged?", "Medvedeva displaying the engagement ring", etc. It's probably "fake news".

Evgeniya did mention that her family members collected money and bought her a small diamond ring for a present (for birthday and accomplishments). There is a foto of this ring, where Med is saying "she rather have a small stone, as long as the it is real, because she prefers not to wear costume jewelry".. and the ring may look like an engagement ring.. but that's no reason to presume she is engaged... until she says so.

https://graziamagazine.ru/news/smi-18-letnyaya-evgeniya-medvedeva-pomolvlena/
https://www.7days.ru/news/pomolvlena-evgeniya-medvedeva-pokazala-koltso-s-brilliantom.htm
https://www.vladtime.ru/sport/655109

I've seen several unmarried Russian skaters with little rings on their left hands (Adelina Sotnikova, Dmitri Soloviev, and I'm forgetting some) but it doesn't mean they're married.
Speaking of Dmitri though...he posted a pic with his gf. Note her finger and the message! https://www.instagram.com/p/BhZsarRnxK7/?hl=en

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information