From Russia with love [#29]: Spring 2018 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a new thread with the start of Worlds in Milan this week...

Team Russia for Worlds:
Alina Zagitova, Maria Sotskova, Stanislava Konstantinova (replaced Evgenia Medvedeva);
Dmitri Aliev, Mikhail Kolyada;
Tarasova/Morozov, Zabiiako/Enbert, Astakhova/Rogonov (replaced Stolbova/Klimov);
Stepanova/Bukin, Zagoski/Guerreiro (replaced Bobrova/Soloviev).

2018 Junior Worlds results (ISU bios linked):
Alexandra TRUSOVA (gold), Alena KOSTORNAIA (silver), Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA (4th);
Men: Alexey EROKHOV (gold), Artur DANIELIAN age 14 (silver), Roman SAVOSIN (5th)
Pairs: Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / Denis KHODYKIN (gold), Polina KOSTIUKOVICH / Dmitrii IALIN (silver), Anastasia MISHINA / Aleksandr GALIAMOV (bronze);
Dance: Anastasia SKOPTCOVA / Kirill ALESHIN (gold), Arina USHAKOVA / Maxim NEKRASOV (bronze), Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKO (5th).

3 news items from the previous FRWL #28 thread:
A new interview with Artur Danielian by Tatjana Flade:
"After the short program, I told myself that I have nothing to lose"
(I fixed the above link; here's the Google Translation of Danielian's interview).
Sakhanovich came back to St Petersburg and moved to Angelina Turenko (Gubanova’s coach).
Serafima also confirmed that Gubanova has left Turenko; rumor says that she has moved to Buyanova but no official information yet
https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20180319/1134317298.html

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Chaikovskaya about Anjelica Krylova's move to Russia.
https://www.championat.com/other/ne...vdohnjot-v-tancy-to-chto-tam-dolzhno-byt.html

Я надеюсь, что к нам вернётся Анжелика Крылова – она возвращается. Человек молодой, креативный и очень мощный, и я надеюсь, что она вдохнёт в танцы то, что там должно быть.

I hope that Anjelika Krylova will join us - she is returning (moving back to Russia). She is a young, creative person, and very powerful, and i hope she will inject/inflex into our ice dance all that it requires.

caseyedwards

That would be nice! That she brings krylova speciality and doesn’t become absorbed in traditional which is now huge failure

Bigbird

What is Krylova so good at exactly? It was her husband who was the creative force in the unit. She seems very traditional, she stuffed H/D under W/P for years and Gadbois really turned their skating level up a notch, and H/B still struggle with twizzles. H/D failings are primarily because Donahue can't bring it under pressure. My feelings about her return are mixed, TBH.

Bigbird

What they need to do if Lena Ilinykh really has no partnering prospects in the foreseeable future, is to partner her up with Oleg Volkov (apparently by her estimation, a great technician) and let her learn how to coach. She has a point of view, is passionate about skating and I think could be a useful investment. They need young, fresh blood that was brought up in the COP system. That Seasons program from W/P a few seasons ago was just not the direction a forward-thinking coach should go. Krylova likes to make ice dancing more difficult rather than making it accessible while concealing the difficulty.

Dobre

I like Anjelika. Weaver & Poje, Hawayek & Baker, and Wolfkostin & Zhao have all done well technically under her. She seems to work well with athletes of all ages. I'll be sorry to lose her in the U.S., but I am glad to hear she will continue to develop the next generation of ice dancers; and there is definitely room in Russia for another elite dance coach with a diverse background of expertise on the scene.

lala

Chaikovskaya about Anjelica Krylova's move to Russia.
https://www.championat.com/other/ne...vdohnjot-v-tancy-to-chto-tam-dolzhno-byt.html

Я надеюсь, что к нам вернётся Анжелика Крылова – она возвращается. Человек молодой, креативный и очень мощный, и я надеюсь, что она вдохнёт в танцы то, что там должно быть.

I hope that Anjelika Krylova will join us - she is returning (moving back to Russia). She is a young, creative person, and very powerful, and i hope she will inject/inflex into our ice dance all that it requires.
:cheer2: what a great news for the Russian ice dance!

Rafter

What is Krylova so good at exactly? It was her husband who was the creative force in the unit. She seems very traditional, she stuffed H/D under W/P for years and Gadbois really turned their skating level up a notch, and H/B still struggle with twizzles. H/D failings are primarily because Donahue can't bring it under pressure. My feelings about her return are mixed, TBH.

Yes I agree. W/P and Paul & Islam always made it clear she was the technical coach, Camerlengo did the choreography.

We’ll see what she can do creatively with her Russian teams.

I’m curious if her children are going with her.

caseyedwards

Tchaikovskaia has no ijs talent or ability. That was proven by gorshkova/buitikov and the brief horror of her coaching s/k for some reason! This could be like Oil and water or something! You can’t say krylova has not ijs knowledge. That’s the high point. She’d be The only coach in Russia aware of how ijs is supposed to work now in 2018! But that’s only if she can be who she was!

Nune

Does this mean that she is no longer together with Stefano Camerlengo ? Would be a pity, they were such a nice couple.

starrynight

= She seems very traditional, she stuffed H/D under W/P for years and Gadbois really turned their skating level up a notch,

I think H/D have benefited a lot from the current fashion of ice dance suiting their strengths a lot. Back when H/D were at DSC they were struggling with very serious injuries and personal issues. It was also a time when Davis/White were on top with a very acrobatic style that isn't so much in H/Ds wheelhouse. Ice dance has changed a lot it is not the same in 2018 as it was in 2013 by any means. It's not all about DSC.

DSC also have many success stories I can think of. While it was time for a change for W/P in 2016 they did win two Grand Prix Finals and take a huge leap up the rankings with DSC during the 2010 - 2014 period. I would certainly interpret that as an overall success. Not many skaters stay with the same coaches over a 12 year career and sometimes it is just time to move on.

Fashions come and go in ice dance centres. People talk like the sun will never set on Gadbois, people probably thought the same about Arctic Edge when it had total domination. But everything rises and falls and then rises again.

Also I think just because one team of H/D didn't get the best results out of DSC doesn't mean that she has nothing to offer Russian ice dance. I think Russian ice dance needs a fresh perspective and I believe that Krylova can offer it.

Last edited:

Bigbird

I think H/D have benefited a lot from the current fashion of ice dance suiting their strengths a lot. Back when H/D were at DSC they were struggling with very serious injuries and personal issues. It was also a time when Davis/White were on top with a very acrobatic style that isn't so much in H/Ds wheelhouse. Ice dance has changed a lot it is not the same in 2018 as it was in 2013 by any means. It's not all about DSC.

DSC also have many success stories I can think of. While it was time for a change for W/P in 2016 they did win two Grand Prix Finals and take a huge leap up the rankings with DSC during the 2010 - 2014 period. I would certainly interpret that as an overall success. Not many skaters stay with the same coaches over a 12 year career and sometimes it is just time to move on.

Fashions come and go in ice dance centres. People talk like the sun will never set on Gadbois, people probably thought the same about Arctic Edge when it had total domination. But everything rises and falls and then rises again.

Also I think just because one team of H/D didn't get the best results out of DSC doesn't mean that she has nothing to offer Russian ice dance. I think Russian ice dance needs a fresh perspective and I believe that Krylova can offer it.

I think she will find she did her best work with her husband. As for H/D and W/P their basic skills improved tremendously when they left the DSC. This isn't to say she doesn't have a fresh perspective to offer but that we should be modest in our expectations. It's like Marina and Igor they were never the same when they split up. And bear in mind Krylova isn't as modern in her thinking as we'd like to believe. That freshness came from P. Carmelengo.

Last edited:

starrynight

I think that Krylova will always need to work in partnership with a creative mind.

But I do feel that while undeniably Krylova/Camerlengo had strong results in the past that it might be time for a change for them. My impression is that DSC (as run by K/C) has run its course and it's time for something new. While the glory days may not be replicated in a new setting, that's not a reason to never change.

lala

"I think that Krylova will always need to work in partnership with a creative mind."

"That freshness came from P. Carmelengo. "

I like how the people know what they can't know...Maybe Pasquale was a choreographer and Anjelika was the trainer who worked more with their pairs on the ice.

Probably the children moved back with Anjelika...

Mad for Skating

Now, that the Empress rules the Empire, all my skating wishes are for Susie getting herself a world title. They are the most talented and unlucky pair team I've ever seen. Hopefully, all the stars will finally align for them next season.

lol agree! They just need to get that twist up and work on their side-by-sides, especially the 50/50 salchow. Everything is right within reach for them. If they can show the consistency next season, I fully believe they can someday catch Sui/Han and Tarasova/Morozov. #StolbossForever

oleada

Amina Atakhonova and Nikita Volodin won the St Petersburg Cup final. I think this is a really great effort for their first full competition and only being together 3 months. :) She looks so much healthier than she did last year!

https://youtu.be/TlV_-9rGAK4

Good 3Tw, big throws. Some small synchronization issues in the jumps and shakiness in the lifts that is to be expected at this point. Overall, I think they have a lot of potential!

Last edited:

Bigbird

Amina Atakhonova and Nikita Volodin won the St Petersburg Cup final. I think this is a really great effort for their first full competition and only being together 3 months. :) She looks so much healthier than she did last year!

https://youtu.be/TlV_-9rGAK4

Good 3Tw, big throws. Some small synchronization issues in the jumps and shakiness in the lifts that is to be expected at this point. Overall, I tho j they have a lot of potential!

I like them. I hope they continue to improve. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information