Who Do You Think Will Opt Out of Worlds?

jlai

Question everything
I would laugh and laugh and laugh and cheer like a maniac if that happened. I'm even willing to give up another World title for Aliona.

I'm glad Aliona decides her own destiny. :)
I really like the Russians' sp, but I'm with her grace about the Candyman long. I wish they would change it and then they will be in equal footing with the Aliona and Bruno.

kittyjake5

Candyman is not one of my favorite programs but I never though it was that bad. It looks worse than it is when T/M implode like they did at the Olympics.
If they skate both programs clean they do have a chance at the gold medal but I believe that Aliona/Bruno will have to make mistakes. I don't want that to happen.
I like T/M lots of talent. I hope that they have some input in their programs next season.

caseyedwards

Tarasova and morozov were given every warning candyman wasn’t going to be acceptable at Olympics!! And that’s the only thing that kept them off the podium!! Every single competition everyone was unanimous candyman is total PoS and wouldn’t medal at Olympics. Too embarrassing! Too awful. Worst pairs program of all time! Pairs equivalent to aboriginal dance!

Jayar

People are so cruel to T/M. Candyman is not that bad, and certainly not the worst serve seen. D/R and Aliona have both had some pretty tacky programs...
It really is that bad. They were contenders, and that program killed any chance of them being strong challengers for the title. A complete misstep. I keep hoping that they will show up in Milan with last year's FS.

caseyedwards

T/M's tech inconsistencies kept them off the podium at the Olympics, not Candyman.

I need S/M to win and J/C to medal (although I fear they'll be going back to their :gallopin1 roots) and we'll be good.
the technical inconsistencies did not occur in some kind of vacuum! They weren’t independent of everything else!!
They could not perform because everyone was saying they had the worst program of all time. You want your faves to be in a bubble and block out criticism but the extreme hatred of candyman and no one believing they should be on the podium because of candyman caused the mistakes. Every commentator and even their competitors it was revealed afterward by duhamel were very aggressive in telling them to actually try to help them they had the worst program of all time and needed to change it but they didn’t! That in turn caused extreme pressure on them not only skating at Olympics and for gold! But trying to do it with the worst program in pairs history and maybe even skating history!

It really is that bad. They were contenders, and that program killed any chance of them being strong challengers for the title. A complete misstep. I keep hoping that they will show up in Milan with last year's FS.

Exactly!! Even if they win sp in Milan or place second again if they have candyman as their fs they won’t medal in Milan either.

clairecloutier

Sorry but “Candyman” actually is that bad. :p

Technically, yes, T/M didn’t medal at the Olympics due to tech mistakes. But I do think the program may have played a role. T/M took the ice for the Oly LP knowing they needed a strong performance—yet they were also aware of the criticism of “Candyman.” They admitted so afterward in a post-Oly interview. And they must have known that S/M’s and S/H’s LPs were well-received all year. So I think it’s quite possible it may have subtly undermined their confidence a bit.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Sad that Sui/Han won’t have a chance to defend their world title, but what an opportunity for the other pairs. 2 heavy hitters (Sui/Han, Duhamel/Radford) wont be there, add to that how hit and miss Tarasova/Morozov are, I really hope teams like Marchei/Hotarek and James/Ciprés take advantage of the opportunity presented to them.

The closest Queen Aljiona had for tackiness was Pink Panther but she rocked that outfit like no one else could.

Really? So we’re pretending the muppet bolero with the bedazzled bra never happened? :shuffle:

Last edited:

MAXSwagg

The closest Queen Aljiona had for tackiness was Pink Panther but she rocked that outfit like no one else could.

No. That bulls*t FS they had in 2015 season, "Sometimes" or whatever in the hell that was. I had the misfortune of being at 2016 Worlds and seeing that disastrous pairs competition. And several of her programs with Robin.

Seerek

As I've been saying in the pairs thread, it's taking pairs more than 1 Olympic cycle to zero in with what works and doesn't work for them.

Zhenya/Vlad have tried Lord of the Dance, electro swing, 70s prog rock and now a Back To Basics compilation with mixed degrees of success. There's comes a point that's it's no longer about the programs anymore, it comes down to the skaters' inherent or learned ability to actually perform programs.

T/M will likely never put out a "audience/fan favourite" program ever in their careers (too shy/introverted personalities to be real fan favourites like the other teams). But at the very least, they need to put out programs they are satisfied/comfortable with and actually enjoy performing (to some degree).

Honestly, going through another 4 year Olympic cycle of them being the de facto social media human punching bags/"anti-favourites" in the pairs event would be a shame considering their strong skating skills.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Zhenya/Vlad have tried Lord of the Dance, electro swing, 70s prog rock and now a Back To Basics compilation with mixed degrees of success.

I really liked their Lord of the Dance program.

And Candyman is really not as bad as people make out. It's a lot more straightforward than that over-the-top try-hard thing Savchenko/Massot have going on in their FS.

Japanfan

Exactly!! Even if they win sp in Milan or place second again if they have candyman as their fs they won’t medal in Milan either.

Of course they will medal. In fact, in the absence of S/M, D/R, S/K and S/H, they are likely to take the gold.

Which three pairs do you think will medal ahead of them?

J/C may actually have a shot at the podium at this Worlds? That would be so sweet, and entirely make up with Candyman winning the gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information