The Dance Hall, Part 4: To Helsinki & Back -- Seeking Rhumba Magic ...

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I don't think V/M´s SD is going to be as out of the box as some people seem to think based on the music choices. From the clips I have seen they have edited together parts of the songs that have very clear latin rhythm/sounds.

chapis

S/D had a lift disqualified.

What are the rules for the SD this year again? Why are people using 3 different pieces of music? Why can't they just use 2?

I am curious too, Komatsubara and Koleto use only 2 songs but in the first song of Marc Anthony they use the salsa version for the pattern, then they use the pop version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX6jljcpIjk, and they use a samba at the end. I wonder if this is for the technical structure of the program, the taste of the skaters, or they are asked to skate 3 rhythms :confused:

Last edited:

nimi

I wonder if this is for the technical structure of the program, the taste of the skaters, or they are asked to skate 3 rhythms :confused:
From page 6 of this thread:
For the season 2017/18, the following Rhythms were selected. Senior and Junior Any number of following Latin American Rhythms: Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba, Mambo, Meringue, Salsa, Bachata and any closely related Latin American or Caribbean Rhythms.
Note: any number

I take it to mean that in theory, if a team wanted to stick to one rhythm and one piece of music they could? I mean, if they managed to find one that fills the tempo requirements.

sap5

I'm guessing the requirements make it so that using 3 different pieces is easier, but I don't know what those requirements are.

chapis

I take it to mean that in theory, if a team wanted to stick to one rhythm and one piece of music they could? I mean, if they managed to find one that fills the tempo requirements.

so, they use 3 pieces just because they want :)

mollymgr

I would think so. But I wonder if teams are using 3 to delineate where the patterns stop and start? I have given up on trying to find anything on the ISU site after they updated it a few days ago.:angryfire

nimi

But I wonder if teams are using 3 to delineate where the patterns stop and start?
This season, you can use the obligatory stop(s), the choreo spinning move and a skidding move to delineate.

(Am I missing something?)

mollymgr

OK. I think I found it. @Marta24 is correct. The PSt and Non Touch SS has to be different so at least 2 rhythms would be required.
Section 3.1 -
The Pattern Dance Element shall be skated to any of the Latin American Rhythms and must be in the style of the chosen rhythm, with the range of temp: 172 – 180 beats per minute. The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Element must be constant. Pattern Dance Type Step Sequence (PSt - as described in the Rule 703, para 4b,iii) must be skated to a different rhythm from the one chosen for the Non Touching Step Sequence. The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Type Step Sequence must be constant

http://www.isu.org/communications/568-isu-communication-2076/file

nimi

OK. I think I found it. @Marta24 is correct. The PSt and Non Touch SS has to be different so at least 2 rhythms would be required.
Section 3.1 -
The Pattern Dance Element shall be skated to any of the Latin American Rhythms and must be in the style of the chosen rhythm, with the range of temp: 172 – 180 beats per minute. The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Element must be constant. Pattern Dance Type Step Sequence (PSt - as described in the Rule 703, para 4b,iii) must be skated to a different rhythm from the one chosen for the Non Touching Step Sequence. The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Type Step Sequence must be constant

http://www.isu.org/communications/568-isu-communication-2076/file
Okay, so minimum 2 rhythms.

GreenGan

I'm a little disapointed by H/D's SD... I didn't really like her arms movement, the music cuts make the rhumba section look really slow and not that good, the dress.. Most things will be better by the end of the season, but even though the music selection looked good on paper, I don't really like it.
Also why the twizzles at the end of the music again ? Last season wasn't enough of a warning ?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I like what H/D are trying to do with the SD and I understand her dress and think it works well with the idea. Once they loosen up in their movement, which should come when they have more mileage on the program, I think it will be a lot more fluid and more will see it for what it is. I did think P&C would do this sort of SD so I am curious to see what they do now as I don't see them having too similar a SD. Maybe a more quirky SD we will see from them and with the motivation they are showing it could be quite fun.

nimi

^^ I'm feeling pretty positive about H/D's SD, too.

Also, respect for them for not being afraid of the twizzle demon!
Are they the only team (this far) with twizzles placed at the end? I think so.

chameleonster

^^ I'm feeling pretty positive about H/D's SD, too.

Also, respect for them for not being afraid of the twizzle demon!
Are they the only team (this far) with twizzles placed at the end? I think so.
Hawayek/Baker also have their twizzles placed at the end of the SD and that did not turn out well for them yesterday.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I would think if skaters couldn't cope with the placement of their twizzles within any given program they, along with their coaches, would change it. Mistakes happen, it's sport.

AquaLady

Thoughts on today's FD event at Lombardia...

I like Nazarova and Nikitin's Pirates of the Carribean FD. It's a great idea for the Olympic season. The program needs polishing, but overall, the performance was good. Love the music! He got a little shaky towards the end though... I'm happy that they're on the podium :cheer2:

I don't understand why Pogrebinsky and Benoit are in fourth place. To me, they should be in second. Their FD was better than Loboda/Drozd. I can appreciate the fact that L/D chose to do Broadway instead of the typical bland Russian programs, but the excessive talking is too much...:fragile:

Last edited:

nimi

P/B have a better program than L/D, basically any one has a better program than them, but P/B were not better, and they skate so much in their flats.
Hmmm. Interesting. Today they got 7.25 in SS, which is lower but close to Lob/Drozd 7.40 and Naz/Nik 7.60. Do you think that's more or less correct or would you say they were actually overscored in that respect?

Oh, and can somebody explain why Naz/Nik got that relatively high mark for SS? My vague recollection and uneducated impression was their feet were pretty busy but a bit messy today...

Last edited:

chapis

Hmmm. Interesting. Today they got 7.25 in SS, which is lower but close to Lob/Drozd 7.40 and Naz/Nik 7.60. Do you think that's more or less correct or would you say they were actually overscored in that respect?

I think L/D were underscored.

On a different note, could they agree to see what expression they are going to use at any moment of the program? in this part both seems to be expressing totally different things :rofl:. https://youtu.be/KNTowT8ygNE?t=92

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information