ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2017/18 Olympic season

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I think they mean that Gracie has easier GP because they have less high level competitors. Therefore it's easier for her to medal and have more of a body of work than say Mirai who has to go against Carolina and Zhenia both times.
No way Jose, she's at CoC, and I think thats by far the toughest Event.

As @alchemy void would do

ODDS medaling for Gracie at CoC

40-1

Dobre

With this set up, there will be no room for a young up-and-comer to swoop in at nationals and steal a spot for the team.

There is always room if you are good enough to show you can bring home Olympic hardware.

Otherwise, you probably can't wait until nationals, but there are still many competitions in which to prove yourself. It's a matter of degrees. A steeper climb--one requiring more consistency during this season than an athlete who has been out there before and demonstrated the ability to win in international senior competition in the past.

But look at the season Vincent Zhou had last year prior to Nationals. It wasn't stellar. Not until Nationals. And he didn't get on the team. But he was first alternate. If there had been three spots, he would have been on it.

Look at Mariah. She had less international background than Vincent the previous year. Wasn't even assigned to a GP at the beginning of the season and never had a second one. Everything she did to make the team this season started last summer.

Marco

I don't know if the USFS has a say on who goes to which GP aside from Skate America. But as it turns out, these GP match ups can be helpful. The one between Karen and Ashley can help the USFS establish who to politik for and to support no matter what heading into PC (including giving benefit of doubt at Nationals if needed). The one between Mirai and Mariah helps the USFS to determine who to favour between 3rd and 4th at Nationals if it comes down to them.

meggonzo

Banned Member
But look at the season Vincent Zhou had last year prior to Nationals. It wasn't stellar. Not until Nationals. And he didn't get on the team. But he was first alternate. If there had been three spots, he would have been on it.

He didn't have the technical minimum score to go to Worlds.

Bellanca

The GP series isn't the only way for a skater to make inroads.

Thank goodness for so many comps sprinkled throughout each season to give those skaters who missed out on one or two GP assignments a shot and the exposure.

I actually enjoy those comps more than the GP series half the time. That's where the suspense and drama is at! :drama:

olympic

I want to correct my earlier post about the men's TBA at SA - I think it will likely be Farris. I didn't read the SB lists properly and there are a cluster of around 5 men ahead of Dolensky, so unless he's chosen for SA over Farris or Miner, SA will go to Farris. I don't think the USFSA would send Dolensky over Farris or even Miner.

ilovepaydays

I don't think the USFSA would send Dolensky over Farris or even Miner.

It's way too early for me to guess - as much as I love Joshua's skating, we haven't seen him compete yet. All we have seen so far is him skate his SP in a charity show and his jumps were 3S, 3A, and 2Lz. This show was about the same time as Stars on Ice and some posters on this board were doom and gloom about what Gracie Gold's skating looked like - did Joshua really look that much more promising here? Enough to get a 2nd GP assignment as of right now?

I think that it will really depend on what happens with summer competitions, Champ's camp, and then whatever happens with Intl' Bs.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks for posting the link to the Announcement! (P.S. We don't want to see "first edits to rosters" if it means skater withdrawals due to injury!)

If you are asking when TBD spots might be filled, USFS usually names their TBDs before Champs Camp (if the skater or team are not already going) which starts on August 19 this year. The other host federations usually name their TBDs by early September.

If anyone wants to discuss GP matchups, TBD spots, etc., here are 2 threads in the Trash Can:

LADIES: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...season-thoughts-on-matchups-tbd-spots.101321/

MEN: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...chups-tbd-spots-pre-season-discussion.101322/

ETA:

August 15, 2017 is the deadline date for ISU member federations to confirm the participation of their GP skaters (as stated in 3.1 & 3.2 of the Announcement, linked above, in the 2 sections re. Confirmation of Participation of Seeded & Invited Skaters/Couples).

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^^ LOL, yes, so true!!! But I am curious is Misha stays in and if he doesn't who gets assigned. Curious to see who Rostelecom fills their ladies and pairs host spots with! :eek:

Still hoping that Coomes & Buckland sneak in somehow somewhere!

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Not when he was at Nationals, but he got them at the Bavarian Open.
If the selection rules are similar to the ones for the Olympics, there's an entire process that drives as decision within a set number of hours after Nationals end. The only time I've seen a condition set is when there's a bye and a future-dated readiness check. They may want to reconsider and extend this to the "earn the TES minimum" conditional assignment.

Dobre

Still hoping that Coomes & Buckland sneak in somehow somewhere!

If they were submitted as return skaters by the due date, they should be at the top of the replacement list.

If they were not submitted as return skaters by the due date, could they be added to the list now as return skaters?

Or would they need to attend a Challenger first in order to make the list at all?

If they have to be added via a Challenger, then they would not have the chance to make the list until fall. And, then, of course, their score at the event--rather than their PB score from the 2016 Worlds--would be the score that could place them on the list. Plus, the rules for qualifying via Challengers seem to change. If they have to win the event in order to make the replacement list, that could be a very tall order. Coomes & Buckland will be at Nebelhorn, but we don't know who else will be there. Winning it last season would have required defeating Chock & Bates, Cappellini & Lanotte, and Gilles & Poirier.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
IIRC the written requirement for using new season scores -- before CS, with five-six defined events; now, CS -- have always been that you have to win, but I don't think that's the way it's been practiced since the first season.

Sylvia

TBD
Since Joshua wasnt placed in any envelope does that mean he hasn't any usfsa funding?
Farris qualifies to be placed in the Reserve team envelope (no funding) based on his NHK Trophy GP assignment.

I haven't started a new thread for the 2017-18 envelopes because USFS has not published a press release and the Reserve team, as currently listed online, is last year's.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
No updates yet on Ladies, Pairs, and Dance.

They didn't change the date on the link to the Men's update, so we can't rely on that as a heads up that the grid has changed.

Sylvia

TBD
Who gets the CoR spot instead of Toth?
For those who didn't see @drfj's post/thread in the Rostelecom Cup thread in Kiss & Cry, the article about Ivett Toth's injury is posted in the OES thread here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/oes-news-2017-2018.101536/#post-5114418

Received 1 GP assignment (ranked by 2016-17 ISU Season Best total score):

UPDATED now that the JGP is underway...

MEN with 1 GP assignment or none (ISU SB list)
26 Nguyen CAN - Rostelecom
27 Kvitelashvili GEO - France
29 Kerry AUS - Skate Canada
31 Yan CHN - China host pick
33 Majorov SWE - China
34 Brezina CZE - NHK
35 Dolensky USA
36 Fentz GER
37 Balde CAN
38 Krasnozhon USA (has returned to JGP)
40 Messing CAN - Canada host pick
41 Savosin RUS (has returned to JGP)
---
42 Dmitriev RUS (not invited to test skate at this time - refer to: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ve-27-summer-2017.101295/page-25#post-5113863 )
43 Sadovsky CAN
44 Aymoz FRA - France host pick
45 Erokhov RUS (has returned to JGP)
46 D. Murakami JPN - Japan host pick
47 Shulepov RUS
48 Miner USA (assumed to be the Skate America TBA because he attended Champs Camp)
49 Martinez PHI
50 Yee MAS
-- Ponsart FRA - France host pick
-- Farris USA - invited to NHK under "return" clause/11th at 2015 Worlds; however, his current status is unknown since he did not attend Champs Camp

LADIES with 1 GP assignment or none (ISU SB list)
28 Konstantinova RUS (currently listed for a JGP which would exclude her now)
34 Glenn USA (2 Challengers last year)
35 Hicks USA (2 GPs last year)
39 Rajicova SVK - Skate America (eta: she also has NHK Trophy, which I missed)
41 Matsuda JPN (2 GPs last year)
42 Sakhanovich RUS (1 GP & 1 Challenger last year)
43 N. Kim KOR - Skate Canada
44 Shiraiwa JPN - Japan host pick (eta: I missed seeing that she had France as well)
45 Nitaya JPN (has aged out of JGP)
46 L. Hendrickx BEL (currently listed for a JGP which would exclude her now)
47 Toth HUN (currently recovering from foot surgery & likely to miss/withdraw from Rostelecom Cup - not yet confirmed as of today)
49 Tennell USA (assumed to be the Skate America TBA because she attended Champs Camp)
50 Schott GER (3 Challengers last year)
54 Rodeghiero ITA - Skate Canada
55 Craine AUS (2 Challengers last year)
83 Zhao CHN - China host pick
-- Edmunds USA - invited to France under "return" clause/8th at 2015 Worlds

PAIRS with 1 GP assignment or none (ISU SB list)
18 Astakhova/Rogonov RUS - NHK
22 Castelli/Tran USA - Rostelecom
24 Kayne/O'Shea USA - China
25 Cain/LeDuc USA
26 Ryom/Kim PRK
28 Ruest/Wolfe CAN
29 Ziegler/Kiefer AUT - NHK
30 Efimova/Korovin RUS
32 Alexandrovskaya/Windsor AUS (currently listed for JGP in Riga)
33 Boikova/Kozlovskii RUS (currently listed for JGP in Riga)
34 Gao/Xie CHN (still JGP age-eligible)
36 Jones/Reagan CAN
38 Danilova/Kamianchuk BLR
39 Calalang/Sidhu USA

DANCE teams with 1 GP assignment or none (ISU SB list)
18 Parsons/Parsons USA - Rostelecom
21 Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen DEN - NHK
22 McNamara/Carpenter USA - China
27 Nazarova/Nikitin UKR - NHK
28 Lorenz/Polizoakis GER - Canada
29 Popova/Mozgov RUS
34 Min/Gamelin KOR
35 Jakushina/Nevskiy LAT
36 Mansour/Ceska CZE
38 Smart/Diaz ESP - Canada
---
41 Koch/Nuchtern GER
42 Galayavieva/Abecassis FRA
44 Evdokimova/Bazin RUS
45 Kuzmichova/Sinicyn CZE - Rostelecom
46 Torn/Partanen FIN
48 Hurtado/Khaliavin ESP
64 Song/Sun CHN - China host pick
68 Chen/Zhao CHN - China host pick
-- Soucisse/Firus CAN - Canada host pick

??? Coomes/Buckland GBR ??? (names not submitted or bypassed in initial selection)

------

TBD Men: RUS, CAN, CHN, JPN (Hiroaki Sato added to grid on 8/23), USA (Miner)
TBD Ladies: RUS, CAN, USA (Tennell)
TBD Pairs: RUS, CAN, CHN, JPN, USA
TBD Dance: RUS, JPN, FRA, USA

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
@Sylvia posted the list for each discipline at the end of post 1:
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/isu-grand-prix-assignments-2017-18-olympic-season.101315/

Schott is 15th on the subs list for Ladies before pre-GP CS, which can shake up the list. (Rajicova has NHK and SA.) Of the current Top Ten, from which the sub could be chosen, Toth and Konstantinova are already assigned to RC, and Rodeghiero and Nahyun Kim have Skate Canada the following week.

The rest of the Top Ten are from China (Ziquan Zhao), Japan (Shiraiwa, Matsuda), and the USA (Edmunds, Glenn, and Hicks). Japan and the US already have two women on the RC roster.

Sylvia

TBD
@kwanfan1818, did you mean Toth (who's currently injured) and someone other than Konstantinova? Konstantinova currently is listed for JGP #4 in Minsk which would rule her out of participating in the GP now.

ETA: I've since updated/merged all the potential alternates into one list per discipline in my above post.
Yuna Shiraiwa??? She has two, France and Japan.
Thanks, I've crossed out her name above. Nobody corrected my mistake back in May. :p

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I was going from the original list, which included Konstantinova. Dropping Shiraiwa and Konstantinova, that would bring in Sakhanovich, who's already assigned to RC, and Nitaya.

I don't know if they'd go to 11th because Toth is the one being replaced. If so, that would mean Hendrickx.

Sylvia

TBD
Dropping Shiraiwa and Konstantinova, that would bring in Sakhanovich, who's already assigned to RC
Sakhanovich does not have a GP at this time.
I don't know if they'd go to 11th because Toth is the one being replaced. If so, that would mean Hendrickx.
I've crossed out Loena Hendrickx's name in my list above because she's listed for the JGP in Salzburg next week

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The safe bet almost always is to pick an OES skater. They're generally cheaper to transport, and they generally don't pose a threat to the host skaters, at least the ones the host Feds care about.

Sorry, @Sylvia, I mis-read the "RUS" for having a spot at RC. Thinking about it, she has been spoken about as being one of the few who is in the running for the TBD host spot, given that most of the top seniors already have two and some of the up-and-coming names are in JGP and/or aren't senior age-eligible.

Schott is getting closer and closer to the Top Ten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information