The Dance Hall, Part 4: To Helsinki & Back -- Seeking Rhumba Magic ...

lauravvv

^^ @Dobre is a lover of ice dance as well as a thoughtful and insightful poster. What has that got to do with your screeching?

Wowza! V/M righteous indignation in full-on display, along with gleeful tarring and feathering of anyone who dares to voice disagreement of an outcome or any perceived less than fawning critiques of V/M. Boy you guys will defend this Helsinki result till hell freezes over and then some. Like I said, I stand by my opening post.

But yep, go right ahead and carry on with your relentless ire. It's fascinating in all it's time-wasting, chakra-busting intensity, pettiness and OTT exaggerations.
:rolleyes: Sorry, but with your posts you are just proving over and over again what zilam98 and princeton123 said. Some of Virtue/Mor fans may be overly sensitive, but it's not like you are without fault. You have been doing everything in your power to provoke them.

mollymgr

You're right but Rhumba Set Pattern alone is anything but sultry, it's fast & upbeat.
For the season 2017/18, the following Rhythms were selected. Senior and Junior Any number of following Latin American Rhythms: Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba, Mambo, Meringue, Salsa, Bachata and any closely related Latin American or Caribbean Rhythms.
The ISU leaves it pretty open.

Areski

For the season 2017/18, the following Rhythms were selected. Senior and Junior Any number of following Latin American Rhythms: Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba, Mambo, Meringue, Salsa, Bachata and any closely related Latin American or Caribbean Rhythms.
The ISU leaves it pretty open.

I know but I just meant that specific Rhumba pattern looks like this. Obviously it's possible to make the rest of the dance into actual Rhumba rhythms and dip up from Rhumba ballroom dance but here you have ''Rhumba'' CD from Marie-France Dubreuil & Patrice Lauzon. They have to include that pattern into their SD next season. This compulsory Rhumba won't be sultry & faithful to actual Rhumba dance. They can try to portray Rhumba before & after that part, but compulsory part is pseudo-Rhumba imo. Nothing common with real Rhumba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEoSft6TjVE

Last edited:

mollymgr

I know but I just meant that specific Rhumba pattern looks like this. Obviously it's possible to make the rest of the dance into actual Rhumba rhythms and dip up from Rhumba ballroom dance but here you have ''Rhumba'' CD from Marie-France Dubreuil & Patrice Lauzon. They have to include that pattern into their SD next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEoSft6TjVE
I agree with you. The Rhumba pattern is not sultry at all (most of the time, it is smiley and fun :lol:) compared to the ballroom definition and execution of a Rhumba.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Is there a non touching step sequence in next season SD ? There was during the 2011/2012 season.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
Is there a non touching step sequence in next season SD ? There was during the 2011/2012 season.

Yes. All the requirements are discussed in this thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...cal-requirements-2017-18.100812/#post-5026881

ETA: I've heard the SD is changing name to the Rhythm Dance, but I'm not sure if there are going to be more changes wrt content. It wouldn't be unprecedented, the ISU had published the requirements for the OD for 2010-11 before changing tack and inventing the Short Dance, & skaters didn't get full confirmation of the requirements until June after the ISU Congress.

Last edited:

chapis

Yes. All the requirements are discussed in this thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...cal-requirements-2017-18.100812/#post-5026881

ETA: I've heard the SD is changing name to the Rhythm Dance, but I'm not sure if there are going to be more changes wrt content. It wouldn't be unprecedented, the ISU had published the requirements for the OD for 2010-11 before changing tack and inventing the Short Dance, & skaters didn't get full confirmation of the requirements until June after the ISU Congress.

What is the benefit of changing the name?

msmandaskates

What I found most interesting after Worlds was the complete lack of mandate as far as American dance hierarchy goes. I thought it would be Canada with an unclear order, that GP would get very close to WP, but instead US dance next year is anyone's guess.

- The Shibs kept their national title and stayed on the World podium, but they lost a lot of levels, came close to losing their national title to CB, and owe their bronze at Worlds to Zach Donohue's toepick. The Latin rhythms for next year might be a hindrance as well, but their twizzles are flawless.

- Chock and Bates are relatively consistent, but haven't been able to capitalize on the best chances to move back up. They lost to HD at the GPF and would have finished third of the US teams at Worlds if not for HD making an e en bigger mistake.

- Hubbell and Donohue had the most upward motion of the three teams this season, and nearly won bronze despite being a third-ranked team, but this is the second time this season that a fluke fall has cost them a chance to solidify their upward trajectory. The Latin SD will suit them best next season, though.

bwayrose7

Chock & Bates just announced they are dancing to La La Land for the FD.

How many teams do you think will also be dancing to La La Land?

So many. #notshiningjustforme

I'm not sure that's well suited to them; their personalities seem better suited to pop-rock programs.

VGThuy

I have a feeling all the La La Land peeps will be announcing early in the hopes it'll stave off competition. I don't know if Madison Chock has the soul for the music, but I do think out of all the dance teams, C/B have the ability to really dance to it. I do think Piper/Paul and Tessa/Scott could really dance to it too.

Areski

So many. #notshiningjustforme

I'm not sure that's well suited to them; their personalities seem better suited to pop-rock programs.

I liked C/B SD this season, they looked like they had fun with it. Their Free Dance was a miss for me though.

flippedstargirl

I have a feeling all the La La Land peeps will be announcing early in the hopes it'll stave off competition. I don't know if Madison Chock has the soul for the music, but I do think out of all the dance teams, C/B have the ability to really dance to it. I do think Piper/Paul and Tessa/Scott could really dance to it too.

Yeah, I was thinking the reason they announced so quickly was the hopes of discouraging other teams... but at the same time there was a lot of Feeling Good this season.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Weren't they early announcing their Bowie FD last year? I feel like they announce early in hopes others will change their plans if they were thinking along the same lines.

It's too obvious music/theme for V/M to pick. Also an obvious pick for C/L. I know Gabi made a tweet a not so long ago that she had that music stuck in her head (think she had just seen movie).

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I haven't seen the movie but I am already sick of hearing City of Stars so I'm not looking forward to all the skaters who pick this.

chantilly

I think La la Land is a bad choice for C and B.
They IMO lack the chemistry.
And he lacks the charisma and she the vulnerability for the characters.
It's way more suited to H and D.
I actually don't like it for any of the Canadian teams except maybe Weaver and Poje.
I'm expecting something voidy from Tessa and Scott. Think they want to go out with a risk.
But I would die a happy woman if they took on Le Jeune Homme et la Mort.
Would love to see Scott angsty and Tessa as the femme fatale.
It would also suit P and C, especially him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information